Would Dany step down if YG is proved to be who he says he is?

Christine K

Really interesting possibility Apple! I would be pretty impressed with that sort of morally ambiguous conclusion. I've grown to the idea that Aegon is probably Faegon, and yet, then, GRRM introduces a character from the dead 5 books in that changes the entire game but will reveal him to be a red herring all along? Seems rather long-winded. And true that it will be a problem to prove whether he is fake or not - Varys is the only source that they've got on the veracity of his claim, and he knows better than anyone how 'power lies where men expect it to yada yada yada'.

Dany's got her work cut out.

She saw fit to allow the slaughter of Viserys despite the fact that he did nothing that would earn him an execution. She could have sent him away, yet she stood there, watching him in agony, emotionless. You really think Dany is above killing a family member? No way, she's all about herself.
"The blade...you must not," she begged him. "Please, Viserys. It is forbidden. Put down the sword and come share my cushions...is it the dragon's eggs you want? You can have them, only throw away the sword." "Do as she tells you, fool," Ser Jorah shouted, "before you get us all killed." Viserys laughed. "They can't kill us. They can't shed blood here in the sacred city...but I can." He laid the point of his sword between Daenaerys' breasts and slid it downward, over the curve of her belly." "...Tell him I want what I bargained for, or I'm taking you back...I'll cut the bastard out and leave it for him."

Dany and Jorah both warned him but he didn't listen.

Anyways, on topic I think it's more likely that Jon Connington will kill Aegon. I think he will go mad once he learns that his last chance to redeem himself to Rhaegar was in vain. He's got nothing to lose because he's dying anyway.

She saw fit to allow the slaughter of Viserys despite the fact that he did nothing that would earn him an execution. She could have sent him away, yet she stood there, watching him in agony, emotionless. You really think Dany is above killing a family member? No way, she's all about herself.

In her defense, Viserys had emotionally abused her for years, and was threatening her life, and the life of her unborn.

I think she would marry him, if he could somehow prove himself, and I am not a Dany fan, so that's saying a lot.

Anyways, on topic I think it's more likely that Jon Connington will kill Aegon. I think he will go mad once he learns that his last chance to redeem himself to Rhaegar was in vain. He's got nothing to lose because he's dying anyway.

I've read that idea before and it is rather poetic — but how is Connington going to learn the kid isn't real? How is anyone going to learn he isn't real? I don't think he is real, mind, but I don't know how they'd go about proving it.

I think that it's likely that Faegon kills himself.. My theory is that at first he's embraced and then he gets blamed for winter, the famine, greyscale epidemic, etc. He does something stupid, like killing Myrcella or Tommen, that earns him disdain. In an act of desperation, he attempts to ride one of Dany's dragons and gets fried.

I've read that idea before and it is rather poetic — but how is Connington going to learn the kid isn't real? How is anyone going to learn he isn't real? I don't think he is real, mind, but I don't know how they'd go about proving it.

I don't think he even currently believes that Aegon is real based on proof. He believes it because he needs it to be true. His POV acknowledged that Aegon isn't exactly like Rhaegar.

There's no current proof that he's real or that he isn't.

To slay the lie Dany must get evidence to expose the lie or else she is not the Slayer of Lies. She will most likely have to get proof on Illyrio and Varys. If she goes to Pentos for the Tattered Prince she may find information there.

That is a highly distorted version of what happened to Viserys. He drew a blade in Vaes Dothrak which is death by itself. But he also threatened her life and her child's in front of Kal Drogo. Its more accurate to say Viserys committed suicide than saying he did nothing. Nor could she ask Drogo to save him because he drew a blade in Vaes Dothrak, the single holiest place to the Dothraki, so there was no way that Drogo COULD let that go even if he'd been so inclined, which I don't for an instant think he was.

I don't think Dany would kill Aegon. But she's also not going to give up her dragons, ever. Even if Aegon is real, and even if he somehow musters up a massive army, Dany is still going to be the more powerful Targaryen because of her dragons, and that is problematic for Aegon and his supporters. Even if Dany accepted a marriage with Aegon and they became King and Queen Dany would still have the dragons, and there would be no doubt about who wears the dragon pants in that relationship. I think Aegon and co. would be more likely to try and hurt Dany than the other way around.

Goodness, I would hope not. She sacrificed so much during her journey, with so much in stake. And I would be annoyed if she stepped down just because she was a lady, submitting to the male...

I'm not always crazy about Dany, but I do find she had worked ten times harder than Aegon to achieve where she is today. Sure, Aegon was on the run too, but he had tutors and protectors teaching and taking care of him. Dany went through a lot more hardship, and aside from Jorah, pretty much have to figure things out on her own, making mistakes and adjusting constantly. So far Aegon had yet to have that kind of development.

So in total, I don't think she would. Contemplate marrying him, but she would be damned at the thought of stepping down. And it woud make for a pretty pointless read if we invested so much time on her only to have her just give it up in 5 seconds.

I cannot see a scenario where Connington dies without knowing Faegon is a fake. I also think that he pieces a few things together about the TOJ and figures out about Jon. That's the tragic sort of arc that Martin would love to write.

As for how Aegon is found out as a fraud - I'm saying dragons. Considering that Quentyn got flame baked, there is something else at work than just blood, but Joe Schmo commoner doesn't know that. Getting eaten by a dragon would be enough to convince them that Faegon is a fake.

I cannot see a scenario where Connington dies without knowing Faegon is a fake. I also think that he pieces a few things together about the TOJ and figures out about Jon. That's the tragic sort of arc that Martin would love to write.

I think it would be very GRRM to have Connington learn about Aegon but not learn about Jon Snow or he could pull an Aemon and learn about Jon when it's too late.

It would be nice for him to learn that Rhaegar has a son named Jon but GRRM doesn't always do those nice things. I think it would make a tragic end for Connington. He dies without ever fulfilling his goal.

As for how Aegon is found out as a fraud - I'm saying dragons. Considering that Quentyn got flame baked, there is something else at work than just blood, but Joe Schmo commoner doesn't know that. Getting eaten by a dragon would be enough to convince them that Faegon is a fake.

Unless the entire "blood of the dragon" thing is bullshit and the only reason they tolerate Dany is because she hatched them and they imprinted. Given that Rhaegal killed Quentyn easily enough despite him having Targaryen blood, I don't see how a dragon killing Aegon proves anything, one way or the other. It's not like it'd be the first time a legit Targ was killed by a dragon — Rhaenyra, anyone?

I think there is a certain symbolism that the pretenders to the dragon mantle (i.e., Viserys, Quentyn) have burned to death. I'm really curious to see what befalls Victarion. If the same happens to him then I'm willing to bank on Aegon dying via dragon fire.

She won't step down for him. She has come too far. Plus do you think all of these prophesies about her. The visions at the HotU, Quaithe's guidance...was all for her to step down for another? HELL NO. First of all, we don't know that Aegon is a true Targaryen and a lot of fingers point to him being the "mummer's dragon".

Secondly, if he is indeed Aegon VI, then I think Dany would consider SHARING power with him. In ADWD we see that Dany is yearning for true companionship...an equal that will help her with the burden of ruling. We see this in the test she gives Quentyn Martell. Quentyn claims that since the Martells and the Targaryens are blood relatives from the past, that he is the "Blood of the Dragon" and can handle Rhaegal and Viserion. Obviously we know how that turned out.

I think the ultimate test for Aegon(?) will be if he can handle the dragons. If he can, then I think Dany will embrace him as she longs for family and real love. It is also important that Aegon is going on this mission of his to help deliver Westeros to Dany. If he decides to capture King's Landing for himself then he is putting himself at odds with Dany.

Dude ...Fuck no , it this that i agree with Prince of Dragonstone

She won't step down for him. She has come too far. Plus do you think all of these prophesies about her. The visions at the HotU, Quaithe's guidance...was all for her to step down for another? HELL NO. First of all, we don't know that Aegon is a true Targaryen and a lot of fingers point to him being the "mummer's dragon". Secondly, if he is indeed Aegon VI, then I think Dany would consider SHARING power with him. In ADWD we see that Dany is yearning for true companionship...an equal that will help her with the burden of ruling. We see this in the test she gives Quentyn Martell. Quentyn claims that since the Martells and the Targaryens are blood relatives from the past, that he is the "Blood of the Dragon" and can handle Rhaegal and Viserion. Obviously we know how that turned out. I think the ultimate test for Aegon(?) will be if he can handle the dragons. If he can, then I think Dany will embrace him as she longs for family and real love. It is also important that Aegon is going on this mission of his to help deliver Westeros to Dany. If he decides to capture King's Landing for himself then he is putting himself at odds with Dany.

I think that she will be very guarded and will need to test him , but she might get married with him or she might just kill him.

"Hurr durr I have dragons" has always been the Targ claim to power.

Dany simply has the best claim to Targaryen rule even if Aegon is Rhaegar's son. Certainly, I suspect that's how she'll see it (though prettied up. . ."The dragons chose me" or some such nonsense).

(...)Dany doesn't know Varys. Ned Stark and Tyrion were wary of Varys too and they still failed.

I too agree that she would not step down, and i find this bit here very interesting and significant. Aegon/YG is Varys's horse, and apparently has been all along, if he's the real Aegon Targaryen son of Rhaeghar then Varys has been betting on him for years now, and if he is a Blackfyre then Varys has been plotting for even longer. Now, it's been made clear that both Viserys and Dany meant little to Varys, just usable pieces to support his horse, and the only use he has for her now is as wife to Aegon/YG (and possibly not just the one wife), to give him Targaryen legitimacy because of her dragons. This is Varys's endgame, apparently.

Now, if she arrives on Westeros and is unwilling to join Aegon/YG or intent on denouncing him as fake and opposing him, then Varys is the real enemy she'll face. Hmmm, let's think about that for a sec. Her rule in Mereen, her repeated ineptitude for the 'game', then consider her opponent in this scenario. Conclusion: she's dead. (Although, giving that he would be Dany's enemy the author may just reduce Varys's IQ by about 80 points or something all of a sudden... or Tyrion just saves her ass...)

Unless the entire "blood of the dragon" thing is bullshit and the only reason they tolerate Dany is because she hatched them and they imprinted. Given that Rhaegal killed Quentyn easily enough despite him having Targaryen blood, I don't see how a dragon killing Aegon proves anything, one way or the other. It's not like it'd be the first time a legit Targ was killed by a dragon — Rhaenyra, anyone?

Power is perception as Varys would say. If the people of Westros believe that Aegon is a fraud because gets deep fried ala Quentyn, then that is the truth. If they equally believe that Jon is Rhaegar's son because he can ride a a dragon, then that is also the prevailing truth. It doesn't matter what the real reason behind it was - whether because of the dragons have magical individual riders or Jon is warging the dragon to control it.

As for the Targs and their dragons, I'm assuming that only specific from old Valayria can hatch dragons, just as only those with the blood of the First Men who are connected to the old gods can warg. There were other families, but the Targs are the only ones. I'm also assuming that only women can hatch dragons due to the connection to giving birth.

I think it would be very GRRM to have Connington learn about Aegon but not learn about Jon Snow or he could pull an Aemon and learn about Jon when it's too late.

It would be nice for him to learn that Rhaegar has a son named Jon but GRRM doesn't always do those nice things. I think it would make a tragic end for Connington. He dies without ever fulfilling his goal.

I don't think that this is at all nice. It's an upsetting ending, especially since I don't think that it'll be widely known that Jon is still alive... Sort of oh by the way, Rhaegar did have a son still alive but he was assassinated by his own men.

Archived