Dorans "friend at court"

sheppard

i believe i have sussed who Doran Martells friend at court is.....Littlefinger

it is said that in a game of thrones just before Ser Barristan is dismissed from the kingsgaurd Sansa sees littlefinger enter the throne room and chat with ser Dontos and Balon Swann, we know he already knew Ser Dontos and that he would later use him to get Sansa out of the city. what id he also knew Balon Swann well, it is never said who nominates him to the kingsgaurd, and if Littlefinger knew him well he may have told Littlefinger of the plot to kill Trystane (speel check?) on the journey back to kings landing, Balon being unaware Littlefinger would then pass this information onto the Dorninsh, it all fits with Littlefingers MO, having people provide information of plots to him without ever relaising the bigger picture, in essence Balon betrays himself to the Dornish before he even gets there! its the sort of genius plan i would associate with Littlefinger

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, Petyr is in the Vale by the time it all happens, but we often see him writing letters so it's not an option I'd take out. I'm still more inclined to think it's Varys anyway. BTW, I've seen many threads about "does Doran know about Aegon", but has anyone ever discussed whether Varys knows about the Dornish-Targ alliance? I know he's Varys, so I'd assume he knows, but how would it serve his purpose to add stregth to Viserys's army if the plan was to have Aegon on the throne?

Well, Petyr is in the Vale by the time it all happens, but we often see him writing letters so it's not an option I'd take out. I'm still more inclined to think it's Varys anyway. BTW, I've seen many threads about "does Doran know about Aegon", but has anyone ever discussed whether Varys knows about the Dornish-Targ alliance? I know he's Varys, so I'd assume he knows, but how would it serve his purpose to add stregth to Viserys's army if the plan was to have Aegon on the throne?

Actually, Varys surprisingly didn't know abot it.

Here's a quote from the Barcelona interview:

Were Varys and Illyrio aware of the betrothal contract that Prince Doran and Ser Willem Darry had made? And why didn't Darry or someone tell Viserys about this agreement before his death?

To the first question: no. As to the second, Viserys was an immature child when it was decided, and he wasn't ready for the information.

Wasn't Viserys kind of expected to die when he was sent away?

That way either one of Dany or Aegon could claim the throne and they could marry, reinforcing "Targaryen" rule.

• 4 weeks later...

Wasn't Viserys kind of expected to die when he was sent away?

That way either one of Dany or Aegon could claim the throne and they could marry, reinforcing "Targaryen" rule.

He wasn't expected to die. Illyrio and varys were speaking of him in a aGOT and they spoke of him getting the dothraki to join his cause. Then in aDWD someone from the golden company says first we were supposed to join cause with viserys and 50,000 dothraki and now we're going to volantis to meet his sister's unsullied. At least something along those lines. Which means illyrio was excpecting viserys to get the dothraki to join the cause and the golden company's contract breech was planned before hand. So aegon was the next choice. So unless illyrio was being very clever in letting tyrion overhear the wrong info it seems viserys death was his own undoing cause he couldn't be patient about drogo or unless they planned to kill viserys anyway after he won the dothraki which is possible.

Archived