[Book spoilers] Cheers without Jeers, Tears, or Fears

In the spirit of it being better to light a single candle than to rage against the darkness, this thread is for pointing out all the nifty cool things you liked about the episode. It’s not for complaining or cursing or crying. It’s not for nitpicking or gnashing of teeth. It’s not for whining, bitching, and moaning at HBO or its writers. This is a no-ranting thread. If that’s what you want, please look elsewhere; I’m sure you’ll have no trouble finding plenty of other threads for that sort of negativity and vitriol.

This one is for praise, for appreciation, for excitement, for pleasure. It’s strictly about what you enjoyed, stuff that made you grin, smile, laugh, cheer, clap your house, or jump up and shout Huzzah!

I’ll start...

The chemistry between Jaime and Brienne is wonderful. You can really see their journey together will be marvelous. I love Jaime’s wit, and Brienne’s stubbornness.

The subtle little touch that Brienne not Jaime was the one with white horse was neat. It showed that she, not the erstwhile bearer of the white cloak, is the white knight in this relationship.

I loved Arya being able be a fly on the wall for Tywin’s deliberations. And while we’re there: Ser Kevan! Ser Kevan! Need I say more?

I want an all-Varys show. He so rocks. Watch that man’s face! And he managed to never answer Tyrion’s question about what Varys realy wants. Tyrion bonding with Varys was great. Just watch Varys’s facial expressions. Delightful. I really laughed when Varys trying to imagine the Mad Kinglet’s boasts. Precious.

I’m glad Bronn’s lack of goldcloak garb was finally explained.

Horses, horses, horses! And Tywin can even get on one without falling off. I love all the horses. Now we know where the horse budget went. Guess we won’t be getting Stonehenge this season.

The Lord of Bones was done a lot better than I was afraid he’d be.

Robb and Cat were really good. I like Robb growing up, and I love Michelle Fairley’s acting. She really does have the acting chops for the rôle.

Jaqen was good as always. Sure, maybe he seemed a bit less than omnipotent this time around, but he’s still awesome. Can’t wait for his on-screen shapechange in the last episode.

Robb and JeyneTalissa were good, a lot better than in the book. This really needed to happen; the book’s whole post-facto uxor ex machina thing just never worked for me, but this did. You can tell she’s hiding a lot in her expressions; quality acting work there. Finally some sex that isn’t quasi-rape! Haven’t seen two people actually enjoying each other since Loras and Renly, which was like the only other time it’s seemed genuine.

It was refreshing to see some humanity from Asha for her baby brother.

Dragonglass! Hurray! And the horn: wow just wow. We now know with certainty that the horn that Sam found with the obsidian weaponry has some important plot-related meaning beyond just this the episode. It’s therefore a clue for parts of the books yet to come.

The camera work was good; lots of nice backgrounds, integrated VFX, and natural lighting. Great location work here.

The music was just right, not intrusive. I think I miss Marillion. Can’t wait for Mance — and Abel. Does anybody have the various leitmotifs isolated yet?

Yay Pod, and with Ser Mandon, no less! Pod even laughed at Tyrion’s jest.

Stannis is awesome. Great chemistry here too. Liam really brings Davos to life. This is the Stannis who was meant to be, the one Martin called the nearest thing to a hero the series has. Shame about the cats, though.

Jaime has a cute American accent, sometimes. And Tyrion’s is improving, too.

It was lovely to see Cersei rising to her level of incompetence, and overreaching. Lena Headey has quite a range as an actress. You can see why she got the rôle.

Nice name-drop of Astapor. Good to see Dany being tender with her bear after she’d so berated him last episode. He deserved it, and he got it.

Thinking about Jaime’s three warriors who might be able to best him in combat was a fun thing to ponder.

The Mad Kinglet was totally hilarious. He’d best have a change of plastic underpants ready. Make that two. How nobody can laugh at him I have no idea; I certainly did.

I felt real sympathy for poor Ros: Don’t forget me, indeed; almost an in-joke there. The actress did well here. Just the right amount of her, too, and it served the plot.

And Luwin! I nearly cried tears of joy. I’ll take Luwin’s life in exchange for early appearances of the spaced-out swamp-twins any day.

Tyrion was so convincing with Shae, so tender. Sansa will be so lucky, even if she doesn’t realize it.

Bran there in the dark, secretly alert and aware of what’s really going on around him. This is a continuation of his very earliest characterization, where he liked to be above everything, unseen but intent on following them.

I wonder whether Hodor actually Hodors in his sleep? Prolly. Betcha he could Hodor to wake the dead, too, which considering where they are, might not be such a bad idea after all.

Brienne and Jaime were fantastic and I really can't wait to see more of them.

Overall I think they have done Winterfell and Theon's arc there really well. Yara was very good.

Varys, we've missed you!

Also Stannis was good with the Storm's End explanation.

there were many small things I liked about this episode. First would be Asha/yara revealing a side to her character we haven't seen so far, namely that she does care for Theon. That was a great performance from both actors.

Second is Arya at Tywin's war council. It is not only a great way for the viewer to get a bigger picture of the war, it also shows us more of the relationship between Arya and Tywin. She smiles after Tywin praises her for being a good servant. I liked that a lot. And despite the fact that Arya seems to have some affection for this ersatz-fatherfigure, she wants him killed because of Tywin's battle plans of which she just learned.

Third, I liked that most of the Tyrion/Cersei dialogue was directly from the book. I had just reread the exact chapter yesterday. It was great to have those lines on the show.

To the OP, good idea to open this thread as a counterweight to the nitpicking one.

The actress playing Brienne is so perfect.

I CAN'T WAIT for Roose to go full blown cunning devious Roose, they are building that up very well IMO and the actor is an excellent cast.

My favorite book/tv show adjustments have been how the Reeds/Bran were handled and how Arya/Gendry/Hot pie were handled. Excellent, brilliant adjustments. I was pleasantly surprised that Bran&co doubled back to hide in the crypts.

The actors playing Joff, Theon, and Varys continue to NAIL every scene.

I like how Talisa was introduced as a way to begin to introduce more aspects of Essos culture. There's more to what going on than Dany's arc.

I have no problem with the Talisa/Jayne change, as long as it comes out later that she was a plant to sabotage Robb

I have really enjoyed the scenes north of the wall since Ygritte appeared. I really think her increased role improves the story line.

I also think pretty much all of the Essos scenes are better on the show than in the book.

I also don't miss Jojen and Meera and think Osha is a suitable replacement for at least the escape and perhaps some of the journey.

I continue to think that Talisa is a Lannister spy/plant which will eventually play a big role in the RW.

Good thread idea and great title, OP!

My favorite example of how good this show is, is from over at TWoP. The Unsullied (non book-readers) were speculating about what kind of king Stannis would be. And one poster commented that if Stannis did make Davos his Hand, Stannis would likely insist that some of the fingers on the Hand's pin would have to be removed. I cracked up laughing to read that, plus its the perfect illustration of just how spot-on the Stannis character is being portrayed. Excellent characterization.

Glad you opened this thread, CrypticWeirwood. Also glad I thought of it... :cheers:

Can't bloody wait for Blackwater. Watched that preview as many times as I could find it. Brilliant.

I don't really miss the Reeds, either, though I really thought I would. Maisie...fantastic. Amazing how she catches Arya's....everything. Though I have many issues with the writing for her, she is Arya Stark.

I think you may be one of the only people who've mentioned it, but Michelle Fairly brings it as Catelyn. I actually respect her and enjoy watching her scenes, which is more than I could ever say for Book Cat (why doesn't she die- really die- already??? But I digress...)

This is the Stannis who was meant to be, the one Martin called the nearest thing to a hero the series has.

Haylz yeah.

The Mad Kinglet

Funny, but further.... do I detect you share the theory regarding Jaime/Cersei's true father??

Sansa will be so lucky, even if she doesn’t realize it.

I keep saying this on the forum but most people don't want to believe me.

I wonder whether Hodor actually Hodors in his sleep? Prolly. Betcha he could Hodor to wake the dead, too, which considering where they are, might not be such a bad idea after all.

Brilliant mate.

LOVED the scene between Yara and Asha and her story of how he stopped howling as a baby when she looked down at him. I immediately thought of the horrible way Cersei treated Tyrion in his cradle. Yara/Asha really doesn't want Theon to fail and die so far from the sea because she really does feel some bond with him.

Arya's little "what ever" shrug when Jaqen says a girl is without honor -- God I love Maisie's acting.

The landscapes in the north are stunning - it's great if you can see the extra bits on HBOGO when you see the behind the scenes of how they film in Iceland on a frozen lake.

I was filled with hope when I heard hammering when Varys and Tyrion were touring the city walls being prepared for battle. I'm hoping that means there will be a chain Tyrion can take credit for.

The Bronn-Tyrion-Varys show is priceless.

Stannis was AMAZING. His delivery is just how I read his voice in the books. Deadpan and hilarious while still being completely logical.

Also Stannis was good with the Storm's End explanation.

Agreed! I was wondering if non-book people ever really understood why Renly had the Baratheon seat and Stannis didn't. A very good way to explain that, and let some of his bitterness about it show. It wasn't over whelming, but I thought that there was tone of bitterness conveyved.

Tyrion and Bronn sitting at the table trying to figure out how to save the city. And Bronn couldn't have looked more bored. Tyrion's complete 180 on the theives being arrested made me laugh. At first he was going to get all high and mighty, then Bronn explains everything, and suddenly it doesn't seem so bad. Good little bit of comedy there.

• Varys is back! Stannis is back! HOT PIE IS BACK!
  • I almost liked that first scene with Talisa and Robb. The callback to Season/book 1 was cool.
  • Dragonglass!
  • Qhorin mentions the oathbreaking ploy to Jon rather than Jon just falling for Ygritte as I feared. His story is only partially ruined.
  • Jaime and Brienne were classic, wish there was more.

I was really glad to see Varys and Conleth Hill is awesome.

I like seeing more of Roose Bolton and every time I hear him mention his bastard I get so excited!

I am so glad that Sam found the cache.

Cersei finally showed some evilness to her.

Asha was actually GOOD. Wow.

The very best was Jaime/Brienne - hilarious.

Glad you opened this thread, CrypticWeirwood.

I tried to open one just like this either last week or the week before, too, but the forum software coughed and spat up, and I hadn’t saved a local copy but didn’t have the oomp to tippy-type it all back in again.

Subtle and quick to answer is the forum software, for you taste good and are crunchy in milk, or whatever it was that Gildor Inglorion once said.

[regarding the Mad Kinglet]

Funny, but further.... do I detect you share the theory regarding Jaime/Cersei's true father?? I keep saying this on the forum but most people don't want to believe me. Brilliant mate.

Not especially, although I suppose anything is possible with Martin.

I just apply the principles of duck typing and come up with a duck. You know, “walks like a duck, talks like a duck”. Joffers acts like Aerys. Doesn’t mean he has to be related to Aerys any moreso than being related to Aerys would necesssarily make that someone have to act like Aerys. But both are possible.

In any event, he’s duck. Shall we test to see whether he floats? : )

Archived