Does Anyone else want a Robert's Rebellion Prequel?

Hoopdescoop

He might have always been a randy goat but Ned thinks a couple times sadly about the clear eyed man he'd last seen 15 years ago. I think his alcoholism happened after the throne and his marriage. David, where is that orgy referenced? What Ned chapter? I didn't catch it in my three readings.

The "orgy" is referred on ASOS, Arya's POV, when a girl at the Peach trying to hook up with Gendry says she's Robert's bastard cause he slept with her mum and the rest of the brothel while hiding in there during the Battle of the Bells (?).

I never thought of this before but it's very ironic that the reason Lyanna didn't like Robert was because he MIGHT be unfaithful and she goes off willingly with a man who is DEFINITELY being unfaithful. I know it's wishful thinking but I think if Lyanna had married Robert, he might have been faithful. Ned says that Lyanna and Arya are so much alike in personality and temperament and I can't imagine any man on earth cheating on Arya ( when she's older and marries). Some people, you don't want to anger because their wrath is scary to imagine LOL!

Good point, it's ironic indeed :) Never thought about that.... I think it's worthy of it's own topic, if you want to start one :)

Mark Addy made me love that character more than anything else in that show. Peter Dinkledge deserved his Emmy but Mark Addy should have been nominated with him (Sean Bean for the lead as well)

Forgive me Batman! I was referring to Mr. Martin as "the good man" who says that Robert is basically a good man. I should have been more explicit. But I agree! Mark Addy played him beautifully and perfectly. God, did I bawl my eyes out when he said," Seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind".

Forgive me Batman! I was referring to Mr. Martin as "the good man" who says that Robert is basically a good man. I should have been more explicit. But I agree! Mark Addy played him beautifully and perfectly. God, did I bawl my eyes out when he said," Seven kingdoms couldn't fill the hole she left behind".

Well we all have different opinions on what makes a "good man", but I think your right. Whatever GRRM says about the series, I buy it.

I dont understand how that scene could not achieve a nomination, until I looked it up on the internet I didnt even know it was the dude from Still Standing

I don't think that a Robert's Rebellion prequel would be a good idea. My view is that it would detract from the main narrative of ASOIAF as a story unfolding in three (or four) timelines at once. Two of the central mysteries of the story revolve around the rebellion and the events leading up to it and I think its best that those revelations come within the scope of the story, as the events they impact a generation later are also unfolding. I'm not sure that thread would stand as well on its own as most people assume when reading the main series.

@Sevumar.

That's bang on the money for me - It's the mystery about certain events that make Robert's rebellion such a topic of interest and the reveals should happen in this story not in another. And actually we know most of the key events already and its only a few gaps that need to be filled in - Rhaegar's intentions, the Tourney at Harrenhal and The Tower of Joy - so a follow-up project would be repetitive in a lot of ways; plus we know the outcome.

Also, judging by Not a Blog George has an awful lot on his plate before he gets to writing TWOW. Having prequels to write as well can only distract. He's free to do whatever the hell he wants of course but I would rather he wrote ASOIAF (which I expect to take another ten years or so) than branch into side projects. Oh, wait, Tales of Dunk and Egg. Jeez, well, nvm. But not prequels too.

I don't think we need prequels of Robert's Rebellion. That's not to say that they couldn't be good, but I'm not really prepared to take the chance that they wouldn't be. In an ideal (and timeless) world, GRRM would write such, review them objectively, and if they added to the story of ASoIaF they'd be published; if not, they'd be binned. Since we don't live in such a world, I'm happy to forgo them.

Certainly, I'd much rather he get ASoIaF finished before starting anything else to do with the world.

• 1 month later...

Ned tells Cercei that he knows the secret and is going to tell Robert (and don't get me started on how dishonorable and horrible that is to do to her), because he thinks that Robert will kill her, Jaime and the children when he finds out. Ned believes, enough to risk his own family's lives, that Robert will kill his own children. This is the kind of guy an independent, strong willed, by all accounts very kind and gentle, Lyanna should have married? I don't buy it... This guy was by no means some saint, or even an inherently flawed but still decent guy.

Strange, I thought the reason that Robert would have killed the children is because they are not his.

I don't think I want this prequel. What is interesting about these books, you can find snippets of information throughout all the various POVs in all the novels and it is fun to pierce them together to create an idea of what happened back then. There is surprisingly a lot of info about what happened and writing a prequel would be just adding some more, I am not sure it would be that interesting. Speculating about what else might have happened, about characters motives and actions is way more fun that have it presented flat out in some book.

I don't know. I think GRRM should focus on Dunk and Egg after ASoIaF, but I'd be surprised if a film company doesn't take the opportunity to cash in on one of the biggest series of the modern era. That said, nothing can happen until GRRM resolves the Jon Snow parentage issue, which could take quite some time.

Archived