Does Anyone else want a Robert's Rebellion Prequel?

Hoopdescoop

would make a fantastic movie with the right writing staff.

Agreed. It would be amazing. It could start with the Tourney at Harrenhal (well, it would be better starting with Rhaegar's conspiration, at least him sending letters to some Lords). And it would end with "Promise me, Ned". But of course, we would know at Ned promised Lyanna.

• 3 years later...

Yes, A series about the events before the ASOIAF would be very interesting.

I made a "spec script" about the Robert Rebellion (just for fun) and is possible to make a series with a cast of the same size of the Game of Thrones. In the case, the series would show since the Defiance of Dunkesdale to the Rebellion and the aftermath.

I really don't get people who think more is more and want prequels made out of backstory. Robert's Rebellion is interesting because it was an interesting time with interesting characters; but it's also interesting because we only get to see bits and pieces of it, often through conflicting accounts, fevre dreams, and half-formed memories. It's a mystery. It's a puzzle. Show us the whole thing from start to finish and it no longer has those compelling gaps. Take Rhaegar and young Robert, for instance. Through the stories we hear they sound like awesome, larger than life characters. It's fun to *imagine* what they were like. Why spoil that? Plus, as others have said, by the end of ASOIAF, we'll know pretty much everything that happened back then, so a prequel - just like all crappy prequels - will lack suspense

People who want a full-on film or TV show made out of it just baffle me. They don't understand how storytelling works and why some things are interesting in the first place *because* we don't see them.

Just look at Star Wars. I'm not a big fan but even I thought the story of Obi Wan's fight with Anakin over the lava sounded really cool. Then look at how it turned out. A long-winded CGI-fest three-film build up with Jar Jar Binx knocking about only for Obi Wan to talk some bollocks about how he has the high ground and then Darth Vader uttering the lamest 'Nooooo!' in film history.

Be careful what you wish for.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm obviously more concerned with GRRM finishing ASOIAF first, but c'mon, after he's done can we PLEEEEASE have a prequel that covers all of Robert's Rebellion? Young Robert Baratheon seems like the baddest badass who ever lived.

1) I would rather watching Dunk & Egg

2) Even there would be a prequel, let me pray not run by D&D

No I don't get the appeal of Robert's Rebellion we know the outcome of that war which leads us to TWot5Ks and ice zombies about to take over the world.

Nor do I want to read how Elia and her babies were raped and brutally murdered, or the sack of KL, Robert standing over dead babies dehumanizing them or how Viserys and Dany lives were ruined that day, or Jon being lied to for his whole lives or idiots like Ned and Arryn proclaiming Robert King.

We really didn't need to see the stupidity, unfairness and brutality of Robert's Rebellion we get that enough in the currents books and we'll get more info in the coming books.

I really don't get people who think more is more and want prequels made out of backstory. Robert's Rebellion is interesting because it was an interesting time with interesting characters; but it's also interesting because we only get to see bits and pieces of it, often through conflicting accounts, fevre dreams, and half-formed memories. It's a mystery. It's a puzzle. Show us the whole thing from start to finish and it no longer has those compelling gaps. Take Rhaegar and young Robert, for instance. Through the stories we hear they sound like awesome, larger than life characters. It's fun to *imagine* what they were like. Why spoil that? Plus, as others have said, by the end of ASOIAF, we'll know pretty much everything that happened back then, so a prequel - just like all crappy prequels - will lack suspense

People who want a full-on film or TV show made out of it just baffle me. They don't understand how storytelling works and why some things are interesting in the first place *because* we don't see them.

Just look at Star Wars. I'm not a big fan but even I thought the story of Obi Wan's fight with Anakin over the lava sounded really cool. Then look at how it turned out. A long-winded CGI-fest three-film build up with Jar Jar Binx knocking about only for Obi Wan to talk some bollocks about how he has the high ground and then Darth Vader uttering the lamest 'Nooooo!' in film history.

Be careful what you wish for.

The Star Wars prequels were bad, but not because they were prequels, but because they were bad executed, the script of the two first movies were awful, the dialogues really bad (specially the romance between Padme and Anakyn) add to it the entire sets being a green screen and all sets, robots and storm troopers being CGI.

Many prequels are pretty good like Godfather Part II, one of the best movies ever made (and even better than Godfather Part I), Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom and the series of movies X-men First Class and Days of a Future Past. We also have films when the audience knows the destiny of the main characters and major details of the story and are pretty good movies  like biographies of famous people (Lincoln, Munich) or very well known stories like Noah and it still enjoyable. A prequel can work, just need to be well made.

Also Better Call Saul is a example of how a prequel can work well in a series.

Archived