Ser Duncan the Tall

Ser Tom Tarly

Im currently reading the Dunk and Egg stories, Ive heard the theories about Brienne and Hodor bring descendent of Ser Duncan. But, what about the Cleganes? Sandor is a huge man and Gregor is near 8 foot, while at 17 Ser Duncan is an inch off 7 foot. I know I may be well off the mark here but does anyone think its a possibility?

It's possible.

I think Brienne is for sure. Maybe Hodor, depending on how the story unfolds in The She Wolves of Winterfell. I personally love the theory that Dunk and Old (Young?) Nan hooked up and Hodor is their descendant (grandson or great-grandson).

Why does everyone say Brienne is for sure? She is from a noble house and Duncan was a nobody from flea bottom. Even though it is implied that he is really good looking, I doubt any nobleman would marry hs daughter to him. Then he joined the KG. So unless Tarth is the decendents of bastards I doubt he is related to her.

That and IIRC he hasn't been to the storm lands yet.

@Artos Stark

Because of their physical size, because we believe they will head to Tarth eventually, where a lady may have had Dunk's bastard, but most importantly because when she goes to choose the unknown shield in the armory, she picks the one with the same coat of arms that Dunk used at the tourney in which Baelir Breakspear is killed. Also, SSM said, I believe, there are 4 descendants of Dunk currently in the books.

Why does everyone say Brienne is for sure?

because of the shield, and because her trip with Podrick. it's pretty clear to me (obiously only after Martin said "there's a characters who's Dunk descendent in AFFC" ) that both elements are not 'tricks', but are real hints to say to the readers 'yep, sometime in the past Dunk had sex with a Tarth girl (i suppose, i think we don't know which house Brienne's mother was from) and for the lols i even add a parallel between the travels of Dunk&Egg and the travels of Brienne&Podrick (no, i'm not saying Pod is a Targaryen secret child :D)

P.S.: Old Nan cannot be the girl in Bran vision. The one that kisses Dunk, i mean. I'm sure she will be, as a young girl, in the next story, yes, but she can't be the one that kisses Dunk, 'cause her biography does not match :)

Not sure if it's completely founded, but I figured Dunk was the beginning of the Drinkwater family. He refers to Tanselle Too-Tall (the Dornish puppeteer) as "a tall drink of water" and Quentyn's companion on the "Bring Dany Back and/or Get A Dragon" mission was a ... tall Drinkwater.

Maybe Dunk gets a happily ever after?

because of the shield, and because her trip with Podrick. it's pretty clear to me (obiously only after Martin said "there's a characters who's Dunk descendent in AFFC" ) that both elements are not 'tricks', but are real hints to say to the readers 'yep, sometime in the past Dunk had sex with a Tarth girl (i suppose, i think we don't know which house Brienne's mother was from) and for the lols i even add a parallel between the travels of Dunk&Egg and the travels of Brienne&Podrick (no, i'm not saying Pod is a Targaryen secret child :D) P.S.: Old Nan cannot be the girl in Bran vision. The one that kisses Dunk, i mean. I'm sure she will be, as a young girl, in the next story, yes, but she can't be the one that kisses Dunk, 'cause her biography does not match :)

I understand the shield thing but that could just be by chance, it doesn't necessarily mean that she is his decendent. I think since she is noble born, it makes it less likely but I guess only time will tell. I was hoping he would hook up with the Weber lady and have one there but that didn't happen, even she was too high born for him. Were Brienne's relatives also big?

i thought he had said that there are several characters that are his decendents and not just one? Am I not remembering this correctly?

How many books are there going to be? There have already been three and right now they are headed in the wrong direction.

Not sure if it's completely founded, but I figured Dunk was the beginning of the Drinkwater family. He refers to Tanselle Too-Tall (the Dornish puppeteer) as "a tall drink of water" and Quentyn's companion on the "Bring Dany Back and/or Get A Dragon" mission was a ... tall Drinkwater.

Maybe Dunk gets a happily ever after?

Dunk burns in the Summerhall tragedy with Egg.

In reply to fire eater, it would be complete irony if Gregor was a descendant of Dunk. I would like it to be true, I think the new Sandor ( if hes on the quiet isle) would be more chivalrous than he was and have a good sense of honour like Dunk. We know that Sandor hates knights, partly because of how fake the majority are.

Old Nan cannot be the girl in Bran vision. The one that kisses Dunk, i mean. I'm sure she will be, as a young girl, in the next story, yes, but she can't be the one that kisses Dunk, 'cause her biography does not match :)

would you please elaborate?

cause it makes perfect sense with Hodor being Ser Duncan's descendant. If the girl is Old Nan then her grandson Hodor took after grandpa Duncan :)

I can't see it. With a few exception genes in Westeros seem to not only determine height/eye color/build but seem to have a greater nature vs. nurture effect. For examples all Starks seem to be honorable, Targs tend to tempers, Lannisters seem to have confidence, Boltons are evil....

Seeing Gregor and how un-chivalrous he is it is difficult to see him descended from Dunk.

I understand the shield thing but that could just be by chance, it doesn't necessarily mean that she is his decendent. I think since she is noble born, it makes it less likely but I guess only time will tell. I was hoping he would hook up with the Weber lady and have one there but that didn't happen, even she was too high born for him. Were Brienne's relatives also big?

i believe so....when she talks about her father, she said that his hands are almost as big as her own...so i presume lord Selwyn is a big man himself. And i believe that somehow he is the descendant of Dunk, and by that Brienne too.

I believe most of us have heard that rumour going on that Martin spoke once of four Dunk's descendants (three male and a female), as Ravenhair already mentioned, but does anyone have a link to that? cause I've been looking for ages but haven't found something....

In response to Alric Stark, I agree that most families share certain traits and do tend to be similar but its not definitive. I know its unlikely they are related but its a possibility. The Cleganes arent a major house so maybe Dunk had a fling with a great granny, as she may not have been too high born for him.

Archived