What small thing really annoyed you?

It always annoyed me that Davos is only ever looking out for the best interests of Stannis is and completely loyal to him, yet every time they have a conversation there is at least one point where Davos' life is in serious peril.

I really disliked Stannis because of this and I also couldn't understand why Davos kept going back to him, I couldn't really feel any friendship there the way I could with Robert and Ned. It wasn't until aDwD that I started to warm up to Stannis, mainly because he didn't interact with Davos.

Balon Greyjoy annoyed the hell out of me. Every time you turn your back on him he's trying some ill conceived plan to rule the world. I mean, seriously, it's freakin annoying. Plus he constantly goes on and on about how they're ironborn and they take what is theirs and yada yada, yet somehow he leaves out the fact he already failed miserably at paying the "iron price" and because of it 2 of his 3 sons are dead. He's such a bozo I just can't stand him. I was glad when he died.

/rant

What happened to Ned's sword and Robb's body; the manner in which Catelyn was thrown into the river; the damage done to Winterfell. Small things in the grand scheme of things, indignities more than anything else, but each made my blood boil.

I know, the Freys showed their inner savagery and repulsiveness, I hope Lord Walder dies a slow, agonizing death.

I also was pissed at what happened to Ice, but if it's any solace, the wielder of one sword made from Ice choked to death at his own wedding while the wielder of the other sword lost his sword hand.

Another thing that ticked me off was when the Ironmen raped and killed the women they wouldn't take as salt wives.

When the library at Winterfell was burned to distract people so an attempt could be made on Bran's life. All those books - couldn't they burn something else?

When Sam spent so much time in Essos. I wanted him in the Citadel learning.

I know I just posted but I gotta post one more thing.

"hello reader, this is the Stark family. They are the prime example of a family with healthy relationships, good people, and hope for the future. Now enjoy watching them get brutally murdered and psychologically tortured in the most terrible ways because f**k you"

It's not really a plot element, but I get annoyed when GRRM reuses certain phrases and basically runs them into the ground.

Like:

"Nipples on a breast plate"

"You know nothing"

"If I look back I am lost"

"Must needs"

and a few others.

There are some that I like though. "It is known" is cool, and the Reek ones. At one point Theon muses on how the spearwives haven't left his side since they let him in on their plan to save "Arya", and he doesn't really blame them because "Reek, Reek, it rhymes with sneak." I still laugh every time I read that part :)

Tyrion.

Ha!

That Varys is somehow the only person who knows about and makes effective use of the Red Keep's secret passageways. It's common knowledge that Maegor had a number of hidden tunnels built, many of which were for escape if KL was ever in danger, so why was there never any curiosity by anyone else to find out more about them. I know the keyword here is secret but it still strikes me as odd /shrug.

When Joffrey hacked apart the book that Tyrion gave him as a wedding present. I know the brat did a lot worse, but that really, really irritated me.

I suspect that is how an author shows a reader a character is a bad guy

It always annoyed me that Davos is only ever looking out for the best interests of Stannis is and completely loyal to him, yet every time they have a conversation there is at least one point where Davos' life is in serious peril. I really disliked Stannis because of this and I also couldn't understand why Davos kept going back to him, I couldn't really feel any friendship there the way I could with Robert and Ned. It wasn't until aDwD that I started to warm up to Stannis, mainly because he didn't interact with Davos.

I think that is a relationship theme between the two, cutting off his fingers and knighting him. Love Hate Relationship. Davos seems awfully codependent

Mmm I don't know if this are considered little things, but here it goes:

- The Hound killing poor Mycah (I have never forgive him for that)

- Seeing Robb's crown on a camp follower

- What they did to Robb and Catelyn's body after the RW

- Tywin splitting Ice in 2

- Penny

- Littlefinger minted breath descriptions

- Danny nibbling food

- When Cercei didn't want Loras Tyrell spending time with Tommen on account of ''him not being the type of man a boy should associate with''

- Shae's badmouthing poor Lollys after she was raped (I hated her even more for this than for betraying Tyrion)

Renly/Loras relationship bothers me a little because Loras was his squire and was probably a very young boy when he started squiring for Renly. It feels like Renly may have taken advantage of his position of authority. Yes, I know they're in love, but it feels a little like a teacher/student affair.

Also, Cersei making a big fuss about Jaime asking her to dance at Tommen's wedding. Drunk Cersei is even more annoying than paranoid Cersei.

Ugh, EVERYONE in the books pissed me off when it came to Lollys. It actually was one place where I felt irritated at Martin, because it didn't even seem consistent - there are plenty of times when characters in the book are horrified by rape, but in this situation people treat it like a joke because she's fat and dumb.

It really annoyed me when Sansa didn't kneel for Tyrion to put his cloak on her during their wedding.

Me too.

I'm also very disturbed by how gang-rape is perceived as a perfectly acceptable thing, if it's done to non main characters.

It seems that they're not important to anyone, not even to GRRM: the girl at the inn where Gregor Clegane and his men went, the women that had to serve at some feast and eventually undress, Lollys, etc..

It's written as if it was not a big deal and it's even unrealistically exaggerated (50 people? I mean, really?).

I always have the impression that I'm reading some kind of author's sadistic masturbatory fantasy. :ack:

When the library at Winterfell was burned to distract people so an attempt could be made on Bran's life. All those books - couldn't they burn something else? When Sam spent so much time in Essos. I wanted him in the Citadel learning.

:agree: Also Joffrey hacking the book Tyrion gave him to pieces. I do not think I could hate anyone more when I read that part.

Throwing Catelyn into the river, reforging Ice and Arya never realising who Gendry is, even after the meeting with Bella of the Peach.

It really annoyed me when Sansa didn't kneel for Tyrion to put his cloak on her during their wedding.

Really? I loved this moment, Sansa really shines in it. Yes, I know, she embarassed Tyrion etc., but she showed strength. I love her for not kneeling.

Archived