is there magic in this series?

Sometimes the magic is spiritual / religious, which is to say, it is performed by particular gods' priests & priestesses, with the power attributed ultimately to that god. It is not always apparent in the series yet which magic is true sorcery that truly transforms and which are merely magician-style illusions, i.e., elaborate tricks.

Other "magic" takes the form of prophecies, visions, or fortune-telling.

Supernatural powers include the ability of particular humans to experience the consciousness of their animal companions, known as "warging" into that animal.

Sometimes the sorcery resurrects the dead, but this comes later in the series. (Hey, you asked.) Whether you call that "magic" is your own business.....

Sometimes the sorcery resurrects the dead, but this comes later in the series. (Hey, you asked.) Whether you call that "magic" is your own business.....

Appears in the prologue of first book, actually.

Oh, I know what you're saying, but I assumed they

the wights reanimate spontaneously because of having been killed by the Others in particular, rather than having a third-party resurrect a person who could have been killed by any other means. I admit I haven't studied this particular mystery (in the sense of the spiritual "mysteries") with any particular attention or comparison, so I've never associated the wights' rising as zombies with "resurrection" per se. But that's kind of ignorant of me, now that I think about it. Gosh i hope i get the spoiler code right!

Archived