Whores go to Bravos

In another thread someone mentioned that she had a daughter named Lanna too, which is a Lannister like name and that the girl is about the right age to be Tyrion's daughter.

I still have my doubts about it though. The one whore who can tell futures from a drop of blood like Maggy the Frog said that the Sailor's Wife's love is long dead. Was she just being obtuse about that? I don't know :dunno:

I believe she was Gerions wife. First of all Tyrion isn't a sailor. He was 13 when he married Tysha, now he is 26 so Lanna must be 12 if she is his daughter, but if I remember right Lanna is already a whore, so I doubt it. Another point is, Tysha wasn't poor after she left Casterly Rock, she get enough money to build up a new life without beeing a whore

Yes, that is indeed the theory currently in favor. But she could also be Gerion Lannisters wife respective daughter. He left for Valyria roughly at the right time and was indeed a sailor. Or she is completely unrelated.

Oh, and there is another theory about Vogarros whore in Volantis, being the former mistress of Tywins father. You know, the women he had do a walk of shame because he couldn't deal with his father loving her. What an asshole.

I believe she was Gerions wife. First of all Tyrion isn't a sailor. He was 13 when he married Tysha, now he is 26 so Lanna must be 12 if she is his daughter, but if I remember right Lanna is already a whore, so I doubt it. Another point is, Tysha wasn't poor after she left Casterly Rock, she get enough money to build up a new life without beeing a whore

Tyrion was 26 in Game. Now he is 28 or 29, which would put his daugter at 14 or 15. Old enough to work as a whore. And Tysha wasn't poor anymore, but she didn't have enough money to last fifteen years and more either. She would have to get a source of income and well, who marries somebody like her? Or which woman would have the possibility to open a trade or work a farm in this society? Whoring or begging are her only possibilities.

Tyrion was 26 in Game. Now he is 28 or 29, which would put his daugter at 14 or 15. Old enough to work as a whore. And Tysha wasn't poor anymore, but she didn't have enough money to last fifteen years and more either. She would have to get a source of income and well, who marries somebody like her? Or which woman would have the possibility to open a trade or work a farm in this society? Whoring or begging are her only possibilities.

Tyrion born 274AL so 300AL he is 26, and Tysha could get married, nobody knows who she was and the money would make a great dower

I believe she was Gerions wife. First of all Tyrion isn't a sailor.

Big problem with this. Gerion Lannister did not leave Lannisport until 292 (Tyrion mentions he left when he was 18, so far too late to father Lanna). There's no mention of any previous voyages by Gerion to Braavos, and no hint he visited Braavos at the right time.

Considering Gerion has a natural daughter of 11 in 300AL, it makes it even more unlikely he's Lanna's father, since that's around when he needs to be in Braavos.

He was 13 when he married Tysha, now he is 26 so Lanna must be 12 if she is his daughter, but if I remember right Lanna is already a whore, so I doubt it.

This gets a bit tricky. Tyrion was born in 274AL. Which means he would have met Tysha at approximately 287AL.

Now, Tyrion and Tysha are married for 2 weeks, then Tysha is sent away by Tywin. Add 9 months, and you're likely looking at around late 287/early 288 as a birth date for any Tyrion/Tysha offspring. So by the time we get to the main narrative, you'd expect Lanna to be around 12 or 13 years old. Lanna is 14, so it can't be her right?

Well, here's the thing. We meet Lanna through Arya's POV. So what? Well, Arya's POV is about 18 months ahead of all other POV's, we know this because Arya serves at the House of Black and White only three days a month. But at the end of her Cat of the Canals chapter, we have about 7 months worth of "3 secrets" Arya is supposed to collect everytime she visits. Check out the global timeline thread, and you'll see what I mean.

So suddenly, that missing year for Lanna has reappeared, and she's a child exactly the right age to be Tyrion's because Arya's POV is slightly in the future.

Another point is, Tysha wasn't poor after she left Casterly Rock, she get enough money to build up a new life without beeing a whore

She got a silver for fucking each guard, and a gold for fucking Tyrion. Assuming she fucked 100 guards (unlikely) that's still less than 2 gold dragons. In AFFC, a virgin's maidenhead goes for a single gold dragon. Considering passage often costs many silvers, she'd be lucky to get to Braavos on less than two dragons.

Tyrion born 274AL so 300AL he is 26, and Tysha could get married, nobody knows who she was and the money would make a great dower

Peasants and/or whores don't have doweries.

So you're accepting that Tysha was an innocent ( a stretch, imo, but it seems I'm the only one who doesn't take Jamie;s word as face value), but Tysha is also a noble who Tyrion got drunk and raped, and then was mega-raped, and then she was sold out to another family with her mega-rape money.

Don't stop me when that starts sounding contrived as fuck.

Honestly, who cares? the author is already stretching it quite a bit with all these interconnected or coming back to life characters from the past. And some of the discussions here can become quite contrived to support or even propose more of those 'fantastic literary jewels'...

This character has to be Ashara Dayne, that character has to be the son of Brandon Stark, that other has to be Tysha... everyone must have some dark secret past, or be some super duper important character thought dead, or the secret son of someone else! Pfffttt, it's become soap opera level now, perhaps some would be happy if the next book should instead be called the 'The Longins of Winter' or 'Winter's Lost Love' or somesuch (the cover would have the name translated to spanish too for that extra kick of awesome!).

If Tysha is actually revealed in some future book then pfft, lets just leave it at that.

Honestly, who cares? the author is already stretching it quite a bit with all these interconnected or coming back to life characters from the past. And some of the discussions here can become quite contrived to support or even propose more of those 'fantastic literary jewels'...

This character has to be Ashara Dayne, that character has to be the son of Brandon Stark, that other has to be Tysha... everyone must have some dark secret past, or be some super duper important character thought dead, or the secret son of someone else! Pfffttt, it's become soap opera level now, perhaps some would be happy if the next book should instead be called the 'The Longins of Winter' or 'Winter's Lost Love' or somesuch (the cover would have the name translated to spanish too for that extra kick of awesome!).

If Tysha is actually revealed in some future book then pfft, lets just leave it at that.

These books take an average of 5 years to come out now. This stuff will get discussed again and again and again and again ;P

And it will suck again.

And again, and again and again.

Who wants the woman (or whore, depending on your theory) that Tyrion raped to reappear, and most likely fall in lover with her rapist, who also coincided with the most brutal disruption in her life. Obviously someone, but those people are weird.

It has been discussed to hell and back since AFFC came out. I don't like it, but the Sailor's Wife being Tysha does work. It doesn't have to, but there is support for it if it does, and nothing obviously contradicting.

• It fits the timeline roughly (and even if it didn't, Martin is notoriously bad with timelines. As I already pointed, Sam goes *back in time* at one point)
  • Lanna is blond
  • Lanna is a name that has been specifically linked to Lannisters (Cersei is fuming over all the babies around being named in their honour, and Lanna crops up.)
  • It fits with the idea that Tywin would have sent the girl away, instead of killing her. Heck, Gerion could have been the guy to drop her off, if he was into travels (wasn't it mentioned he investigated before his ill-fated trip to Valyria?).
  • It suits the fishy naming GRRM adopted for the woman: why not give her an actual name? One reason would be because her name is too revealing.
  • It works with the "whore" theme.

This being said I hope nobody, readers included, ever gets to find where is Tysha and whether she is somebody or someother. Some wounds are more realistically never closed.

Who wants the woman (or whore, depending on your theory) that Tyrion raped to reappear, and most likely fall in lover with her rapist, who also coincided with the most brutal disruption in her life. Obviously someone, but those people are weird.
People who like Tyrion are like that. What matters is Tyrion, not the world around, and especially not the females he screwed or wants to screw.

Didn't you see the arguments about how Sansa was a bitch for not kneeling for him to wrap the Lannister cloak around her shoulders during her forced marriage? To not mention Shae.

He's witty, so he gets to have his twisted desires answered, screw everyone else.

You know, I got a feeling that GRRM likes to play with the minds of those who speculate too much. I think this might be one of those conditions. He gives us some hints (relevant or irrelevant) and we start thinking about it, and there is no way to confirm it. And maybe we would never know. Besides, it would be kinda bad writing to concentrate Tyrion's story on reuniting him with Tysha. He is a very good player of the game of thrones, he might be one of the dragon's head, and many more things. Why would we need to read about Tysha? GRRM said that the ending is gonna be bittersweet. So I think it's likely that Tyrion get some stuff he wants (casterly rock) but not Tysha. Though I might be wrong about the whole thing.

Tysha was dumped outside the keep with her bodice spilling out silver.

The end.

Not the end:

After getting over the physical trauma, the psychological one gave her shacking fits and panic when anyone touched her, and the mere sight of a dwarf would leave her in black terror. Gradually, though, she came to conquer her fears so that it mutated in mere distaste, and anger, and to this day she curses the name of Lannisters.

GRRM said that the ending is gonna be bittersweet. So I think it's likely that Tyrion get some stuff he wants (casterly rock) but not Tysha.
It would not be sweet if he got Tysha, it would be vomit-inducing considering the implications. (It's not a matter of Tyrion "deserving" stuff, though god knows he deserves little, but about the message you send when you make a girl who was raped by a full barrack of people and his boyfriend of a few weeks get back with said boyfriend after more than a decade.)

And she shipped herself to bravos to let strange men touch her, given an arbitrary and ultimately useless compulsion.

If that works for you, fair. Thats grade A bullshit to me. Theories in literature are just that, unproven ideas to circumpopulate the world. If that enriches the world that you read about, amazing, but such an idea would sicken the world I read about. Its quite brilliant in its execution!

Archived