[Book Spoilers] Dear Writers Who Do Not Answer To the Name George R.R. Martin,

Katydid

Yeah I'm glad he got things under control a bit, D&D were running wild with their fanfic. It's just like GRRM to put in a lot of Sandor, Sansa, and Rains of Castamere. LOVED IT. I felt like I was in the books again...haven't felt that way since season 1.

Howdyphillip,

I am absolutely positive that he would have withdrawn.

I don't think so. There would doubtless be contractual penalties and such, so why do it, really? He's remarked on authors who decide to get all offended after the fact when they knew what they were getting to. He has his hopes, he thinks it'll work all right and that D&D will do their best, but if the show ever steps off a cliff... well, he still has the checks, and hey, the books are over there on the shelf, just as he meant them to be.

For those who are saying GRRM should write every episode, just remember why television shows are written and directed by a team, not a single person. Last person to try it alone was Aaron Sorkin, and that involved a whole lot of cocaine, and it didn't last long.

Yeah I'm glad he got things under control a bit, D&D were running wild with their fanfic. It's just like GRRM to put in a lot of Sandor, Sansa, and Rains of Castamere. LOVED IT. I felt like I was in the books again...haven't felt that way since season 1.

He okays the scripts so he's aware of any severe changes. Like it or not, he signs off on this stuff. It's not fanfic, jesus what hyperbole. Plus he's contracted to write one episode a season, so it at least needs to flow in line with what he writes. It's not like HBO will kill Brienne prematurely, then GRRM gets in a huff when he sends in his Brienne episode and goes: "Holy shit, what did you guys do?!?!?" He's not getting blind sided by anything.

He doesn't have to sign off anything, he doesn't have veto power or something....they can do whatever they want. Maybe fanfic is a bit of hyperbole, but I still think he really turned things around this episode.

Wow, some of you guys are beyond fanatical. This isn't even the best-written episode of the season (What Is Dead May Never Die). However there's no point in arguing with purists, so I'll leave it at that.

I agree. The writers of this show have done a bang up job of adapting a massive text. However, what is clear is that the other writers don't seem to understand the characters of Sansa and the Hound. Both were magnificent in Blackwater and for just about the first time I felt real character development from them.

Howdyphillip,

I don't think so. There would doubtless be contractual penalties and such, so why do it, really? He's remarked on authors who decide to get all offended after the fact when they knew what they were getting to. He has his hopes, he thinks it'll work all right and that D&D will do their best, but if the show ever steps off a cliff... well, he still has the checks, and hey, the books are over there on the shelf, just as he meant them to be.

You know the man, so it is hard to argue, but do you really think he would continue scripting episodes every year if the show went Trueblood on him and started flat out ignoring the books? I could see him not making public comments against it, but it is hard for me to believe that he would continue to contribute.

Wow, some of you guys are beyond fanatical. This isn't even the best-written episode of the season (What Is Dead May Never Die). However there's no point in arguing with purists, so I'll leave it at that.

De gustibus non disputandum est

but i didnt have theese thrills this season untill now

i think that GRRM had the best episode on hand of the season and he put it 1000% above what was the rest of the season

i dont get how to compare to What Is Dead May Never Die

this is ASOIAF not Tullisa/ Ros / Dragon thiefs

now leave GRRM get back to his Book writing as he isnt that young and i dont his pupils to finish the series in his place as he was taken by the Many Faced God

The question is, which episode should GRRM write next season?

assuming RW is in season 3, I'd say it's 100% that GRRM will be the one writing that episode?

and in season 4, maybe that certain battle up north?

s5/s6 is gonna be tough, early-mid AFFC/ADWD is a bit slow paced.

I don't think he will write the RW. He has already spoken several times about how difficult and painful it was for him to write the chapter in the book, so I think he will hand it over to someone else, and do another episode.

I don't think he will write the RW. He has already spoken several times about how difficult and painful it was for him to write the chapter in the book, so I think he will hand it over to someone else, and do another episode.

He'll be writing episode 7 of next season, currently named Autumn Winds.

I would so love to see another reality where these same fans in this thread were under the impression that D&D wrote this episode rather than G.R.R.M. I suspect we would not see near the amount of praise that we are getting from the purists.

Whilst i agree this was one of the best episodes of the season, i think the main reasons for this is the nature (and budget) of the episode. D&D obviously love G.R.R.M's books and have done a fantastic job so far, and have even improved on some of the things from the books. This series is at the very least one of the best shows on Television right now, and the lack of appreciation on this website for anyone but the author is irritating to say the least.

Oh here we go.

Look, GRRM is the boss. I think this was a fantastic, extremely strong episode, which kept more in line with the book while allowing for cuts to be made. I hardly even cared about the changes, because everything else in the episode was so immense. This is my opinion, that is yours. No need to be insulting. If you don't think GRRM is an incredibly amazing writer, then why are you here?

I would so love to see another reality where these same fans in this thread were under the impression that D&D wrote this episode rather than G.R.R.M. I suspect we would not see near the amount of praise that we are getting from the purists.

Whilst i agree this was one of the best episodes of the season, i think the main reasons for this is the nature (and budget) of the episode. D&D obviously love G.R.R.M's books and have done a fantastic job so far, and have even improved on some of the things from the books. This series is at the very least one of the best shows on Television right now, and the lack of appreciation on this website for anyone but the author is irritating to say the least.

To be completely fair about it. Some of the writing for this show hasn't been as good as the writing in the books as well, but I would still stress that overall, the writing has been excellent, and in some places absolutely inspiring. This episode would not have been nearly as epic as it was if the writing leading up to this didn't set it up so well.

If you don't think GRRM is an incredibly amazing writer, then why are you here?

Nearly Godwin point.

As

"If you don't like a show, don't watch it !"

or

"If you don't like a book, don't read it ! And don't come to forums to talk about it..."

D&D got their praises when it was due in season 1, then they decided to stick us with the cheesy end.

Archived