[Book spoilers] The lack of Ser Dontos

Dementia

Since they really haven't set up Ser Dontos, are non-book readers understanding why Sansa didn't go with the Hound? By the end of the conversation, it's obvious she's not afraid of him anymore. It didn't seem like she thought it was a Cersei/Joffrey trick... Is anyone even thinking about it?

I don't know; maybe because the Hound is a brutal killer and she is a teenage girl. If I were in her shoes, I wouldn't be too keen on traveling thousands of miles with that dude either. The Dontos sub-plot can easily be pushed to next season, and I'd bet we'll be seeing a bit more of him in the finale.

Ser Dontos was in the episode (juggling in Maegor's Holdfast) so I was surprised they didn't use him more. I wouldn't be surprised if his rescue promise was in the next episode.

Ser Dontos was in the episode (juggling in Maegor's Holdfast) so I was surprised they didn't use him more. I wouldn't be surprised if his rescue promise was in the next episode.

I noticed him too, made me laugh, he looks like such an idiot.

You think it's difficutl to explain why a young, shallow and scared teenaged girl wouldn't run off with a drunken, misfigured killer? I mean, just the fact that they'd have to walk out of the Red Keep in the middle of a war is reason enough to not go. And, up until this point, she's been terrified of him. So I can't see what would have to happen for her to grab his drunk hand and run off into the middle of a city on fire with him.

I almost thought it was Moon Boy at first but then I remembered it was Dontos. So glad that he got to show up again and you have to leave it to GRRM to remember his characters. I bet in the hands of another writer, this episode would have been Dontos-free.

HBO may have purposely put that scene after the Blackwater episode for a few reasons. 1) Littlefinger ends up as the mastermind behind Dontos' rescue of Sansa. 2) It seems that Littlefinger returns to Kings Landing in the finale. 3) The non-readers do not realize the level of scheming Littlefinger is capable of. 4) Viewers may call bullshit if Dontos reaches out to Sansa while Littlefinger is away.

I think Martin set up the fact (for TV viewers) that Sansa didn't go by having Cersei tell her about the people who ran during the battle and she had their heads chopped off. Maybe she was just too scared to go. It's possible Cersei would not chop off her head, but it could have been a part of her fear....?

Yeah, Sansa refusing the Hound's offer is difficult to explain without Dontos' plot. Oh well, I guess even GRRM isn't perfect!

Is it? I can easily understand that a 16 (?) year old girl doesn't want to go with a murderer, rapist and whatever else Clegane has done.

It seemed to me that Sansa was betting that Stannis would take the city and she'd be safe®. However I bet when she sees that the Lannisters keep on keeping on that she will wish that she had taken the Hound up on his offer and then goes along with Ser Dontos because she doesn't want to miss another chance of getting out. I think it makes total sense why she wouldn't want to go just yet.

I was thinking that they would wait until next season because to have this "I'll rescue you" plot waiting around for two whole seasons (assuming we don't even see Joffrey's death next season) might be dragging it out for way too long. But it would be a good way to end the season for Sansa.

a viewer probably understands the reasons why sansa didnt go with the hound, at the time it was mentioned repeatedly that stannis would not harm her, and as it says in the books, he'd send her back to catelyn. So its a safer, more direct route to home without the hound, who'd be difficult to share the road with, given his violent nature and his lack of protection from any side in the war of the five kings, and stannis' victory looked all but certain at that point

I suspect we will see Ser Dontos and Sansa next season or possibly season 4. The whole plot only really comes to fruition after the PW. They would not stretch out that plot line for two seasons :P

I agree @Qwopp22, there's still too much to come in Sansa's plot line and setting up an escape for another season when there are so many other things to focus on in the story would overwhelm the TV story.

There has already been alot of cuts in terms of plot for this season (mostly from Jon's POV which is frustrating) so this I don't mind at all.

Lots of good points, thanks! Since *I* know that Stannis doesn't win, I think I was forgetting that Sansa doesn't know that! And at the end of the Hound/Sansa scene it seemed obvious that she was no longer afraid of him, so I didn't think that would be what stopped her from going. Sounds like most of my non-book reading friends think she's going to go with him!!

And here is was, wondering whether that was Moonboy...

Archived