Rains of Castamere

Mixta

Slow and solemn, I can understand. Listless and expressionless, just doesn't do it for me. But, I guess that's why there are different varieties of things.

I thought it was more forlorn and funereal than listless. It has the tone of a war crime, basically.

I was in awe when it started playing at the end over the credits. It was SO well done. I liked that version very much and thought it was appropriate for the mood after Tywin rode into the throne room - it made me think of death and Lannister triumph.

Very, very well done.

Wasn't a huge fan of the credits version. but I'm excited that now the melody is established, we can get an instrumental version later on and have it be recognized. I picture it with fiddles and an Acadian sound

Absolutely amazing. I cannot stop listening to it, and singing it! I was tearing up at the end of the episode with Cersei's story and then the song.

As for versions, to each their own but the one from this Ep. will always be the 'real' one for me. Plus I don't notice accents in singing :)

Yes, very Leonard Cohen. Loved it. Even though I heard it before the show it still stood the hairs on my arms on end...

Since it was credits music it didn't bother me one iota that it was anachronistic with the mostly mideval tone we otherwise have.

1st Post :)

Loved how Sky Atlantic decided to talk over the end credits for half the damn song........... :bang:

I loved both versions of "Rains Of Castamere", and was equally surprised to find out the closing credit version was The National, I thought it was Leonard Cohen. Well done indeed.

2 first posters, welcome to Westeros to both of you! Post often, keep a sense of humour.

I mentioned on another thread that I saw a lot of bitching about the song, once they released the CD, but I liked it immediately because it is indeed very Leonard Cohen. The voice just expresses weariness, and wariness, perfect for times of war.

Even though I have been very vocal about my disappointment as to the lack of overall 'medieval feeling' in the HBO series (in favour of a more generic fantasy vibe), even I must admit that this song is awesome. It seems to perfectly capture the Lannisters....especially the proud, arrogant, menacing lion that is Tywin Lannister.

I can totally this as an instrumental version played both during and after (in the credits) the Red Wedding.

Archived