Who is the main Arch-Villain of the Series?

BinkyBonks

I read the first book many years ago and stopped at that (then i went back recently and read everything). I remember understanding a lot of things wrong at that first read but for some reason I felt that dany was the villain from the beginning. In fact when she got the dragons at the end of book one I was terrified.

Was it the horrendous family history, the abusing brother, the barbarian of a husband, the prophecy that her monster of a son would conquer the world and raze half the universe?

Was it the lack of proper guidance, the fact that she started saying she is the blood of the dragon (like someone else used to), the fact that Targaryens may end up paranoid even if they dont show signs from the beginning?

Was it the storm she was born in (so far references to storms in the books are rather negative, see for example the ironborn beliefs or the legends about the building of storm's end) and the "storm" she keeps going through ever after (usually with destructive consequences)?

I do not dislike Dany but I think she may end up a villain.

Also, I am starting to get that feeling about Arya too.

the ADWD's cliffhangers?

Agree completely.

Considering he takes several years pr book, it is even more frustrating than normal to see him resort to cheap soap opera techniques. (Yush, I really hate cliffhangers. Good writing/filming shouldn't need it imho).

I agree, GRRM said he doesn't do the dark lord and his evil minions kind of fiction. He prefers the Achilles vs Hector kind of hero vs hero. There are multiple villains in this series, but no one is the Palpatine or Sauron of the series.

Sure, there are multiple villains and the example from Iliad is a good one but in my opinion there is only one character without any redeeming qualities whatsoever, Littlefinger. Cersei is mean and ruthless but she was married to a man who raped her constantly, Joffrey is cruel and selfish but too stupid to pose a real threat to anyone who isn't Sansa or Tommen and if Jaime had been present he wouldn't have allowed the abuse,Ser Gregor is a savage beast, Tywin is not mean, just too cunning and calculative. LF on the other hand is too ambitious, too bitter, too cunning, too obsessed with Cat. He seduces her sister, manipulates her into murdering Jon Arryn, betrays Ned and does nothing to save or assist the love of his life, Cat. Then he allows Joffrey and Cersei to abuse Sansa, so that by the time he rescues her Sansa is too desperate and lost to question his motives. He mocks Tyrion and starts the war between Starks and Lannisters. Nevertheless he is still not a traditional arch villain like Sauron or Voldemort.

Archived