Do you consider Dragons to be a greater danger to westeros then the Others?

Ned's Epic Beard

When I first started reading this series, I was convinced that The Others beyond the wall are the ultimate danger to Westeros and its people. The idea of merciless zombies with intellect seemed like ultimate villainy. But after reading ADWD, I’m convinced that the Dragons will be the ultimate danger/villain for westorosi people. These are killing machines with no leash around their neck. And they can fly!

But there are only three dragons at the moment and who knows how many Others. Not to mention the fact that the Others bring a zombie apocalypse along with them. The Others are much more dangerous than dragons, though dragons could still be more of a problem if the Wall never actually comes down.

They can be but they don't have to be. Jaehaerys and Alysanne are probably the best rulers and they had dragons.

Dany may learn to control Drogon through the help of Tyrion and Marwynn.

A dragon can only have one rider at a time though. The riders of the other two could be Tyrion, a Greyjoy, Aegon, Jon, etc. who may use their respective dragon as they see fit.

But there are only three dragons at the moment and who knows how many Others. Not to mention the fact that the Others bring a zombie apocalypse along with them. The Others are much more dangerous than dragons, though dragons could still be more of a problem if the Wall never actually comes down.

Starks and Nighwatch protected the realm for thousands of years. Not to mention we have the Wall to keep others in check.What keeps dragons from destroying westeros?

It's hard to say, because we don't really know who the Others are or what they want.

The Dragons don't strike me as that much of a threat though. Sure they can be terrible killing machines, and Dany hasn't really gained complete control of them, but they're not invulnerable. If they were to get lose and go on a rampage they'd be killed eventually. There's only 3 of them and I doubt they breed all that fast. In Dany's hands they don't really present that much of a threat either. She might use them to kill and conquer, but Westeros has been through a Targaryen invasion before and come out ok. In the long run I doubt all that much will change.

On the other hand the Others might be preparing to wipe out all human life in westeros. Like I say, we just don't know. Certainly all signs point to them being a major threat, but I suppose it could be a misdirection on Martin's part.

Yes, for one simple reason. They are owned by a crazy person.

They don't seem to be owned by anyone anymore.

I'm expecting at least one of the other two dragons to end up on the opposite side of Dany's cause, or at least to become an untamed killing machine that needs to be put down. What fun would a one-sided dragon fight be?

The Others are by far the greatest threat. Dany makes the remark in the last book that Dragons can be bound and controlled with magic. The Others have no such weakness.

Plus there are only three known dragons whereas anyone in the seven kingdoms can be brought under The Others influence.

Well, if we're talking about sheer destructive power, it depends on the size of the Others' army and their capabilities (do they have long ranged weaponry? What about artillery? What other magic do they possess?) and the size of the Dragons (I really have a hard time imagining anything more destructive than Balerion).

If we talk about threat, then there's really not enough information: We still know nothing about the Others' deal. As for dragons, there's two choices: If they're feral, then they're pretty much a living natural disaster, which is pretty bad. If they're bound to a rider, then it's still kind of bad, putting that kind of power in the hands of a single person is all kinds of iffy. First of all, a dragon's lifespan is larger than humans, meaning it'll have several riders, not all of which will be good (not most, even, and possibly a few will be pretty bad). Even if the rider is good, they can very easily fuck up, or do terrible stuff out of good intentions.

Westeros survived for the 150 odd years that dragons existed there after Aegon and his sisters departed from Dragonstone. You could make the argument that more destruction has befallen Westeros since after that last of the dragons were gone i.e. The Blackfyre Rebellion, War of the Ninepenny Kings, Defiance of Duskendale, Robert's Rebellion, Greyjoy's Rebellion, War of the Five Kings.

On the flip side we have The Others. Very little is known of them mostly because The Long Night occurred 8000 years ago. Almost no one south of the Neck gives "The North Remembers" just not necessarily in regards to The Others.

IMO the more dangerous enemy is almost always the one that little is known about, especially if said danger has a zombie army fighting for it

We know two things for certain.

We don't know if the Others can be controlled. We do, however know that dragons can be controlled. What we know thus far is that Dany can controll her dragons to a limit. The fact that she didn't spend a lot of time with them and even had them locked in resulted in them abandoning her. If she treats them like her children and shows them her mother-role, I think she'll be able to control them fully.

Dragons have previously been killed, there are also books on how to kill dragons as most of you know. Even though these could get stolen, the information is still out in the world. The only thing we know about the Others that is documented is the fact that they're vulnerable to 'dragon steel' which we still don't have a complete idea of what it means. It could be Valyrian steel, but it could also be a substance which no longer exists.

Therefore, The White Walkers are the biggest threat in my opinion.

The Others, they can actually end all human life through magical climate change.

Dragons just seem to be able to kill large numbers of people, so they're the lesser of two evils.

Others. They can freeze you out, send hordes of zombies at you, and they're only vulnerable to a seemingly rare metal (crystal?) that no one has weapons of.

Dragons are just flamethrowers. Big flamethrowers, but poison them or hit them with a hail of catapult fire and they'd be dead flamethrowers.

Interesting tread.

we lack the knowledge on what's Behind the Others in order to have good answer, anyway I agree on the fact that Dany situation, well.. let's say DANY herself, has turned Dragons from problem solvers into Problem themselves.

Archived