Do you consider Dragons to be a greater danger to westeros then the Others?

Ned's Epic Beard

Hard to say, but it must be remarked that as things stand at the close of ADWD

there are three dragons pretty much beyond anyone's control at large in Essos. Daenerys is actually fleeing Drogon. The one person who even claims to know how to control the dragons is, of all people, Euron Greyjoy.

Not a very promising situation, all in all.

That said, we also have next to no information on how many Others there are or how fast Dragons may potentially breed. Those are crucial factors to decide how dangerous they are relative to each other. For that matter, it is also rather unclear how dangerous an individual adult dragon of any specific size is. On the one hand, they don't seem to be invulnerable. On the other, there seems to be no upper limit to their potential growth and it only took three for Aegon the Conqueror to scare six whole Kingdoms into submission.

We know very little about the Others because no one has made an effort to know them. We know that they are intelligent beings. So there is a chance of negotiation.

Correct me if I'm wrong but one of the three dragons is female. This could mean the continuation of dragon race. could be a very problematic event in the long run.

Yea we really have no idea who or what the Others are, but I suspect a red herring with that. However, its no question with the dragons. Dany only has three and they are vicious, uncontrollable, wild and are not even fully grown yet. They are the nuclear warheads of the story and I believe they will be the enemies of westeros and are by far more dangerous, especially if Euron gets one. Hell White Walkers dont even like fire.

Yea we really have no idea who or what the Others are, but I suspect a red herring with that. However, its no question with the dragons. Dany only has three and they are vicious, uncontrollable, wild and are not even fully grown yet. They are the nuclear warheads of the story and I believe they will be the enemies of westeros and are by far more dangerous, especially if Euron gets one. Hell White Walkers dont even like fire.

But they're just animals. They can be tamed, they can be used to conquer, but they're not going to wipe out all life on Westeros. We don't know if the same thing can be said for the others. The long night was thousands of years ago, and we have no idea of how bad things got other than a few old stories.

The dragons came to westeros 300 years ago. they burned, they fought they managed to defeat all who stood against them, but ultimately life went on much as it did before. There's really only so much damage dragons can do.

But they're just animals. They can be tamed, they can be used to conquer, but they're not going to wipe out all life on Westeros. We don't know if the same thing can be said for the others. The long night was thousands of years ago, and we have no idea of how bad things got other than a few old stories.

The dragons came to westeros 300 years ago. they burned, they fought they managed to defeat all who stood against them, but ultimately life went on much as it did before. There's really only so much damage dragons can do.

Exactly. The Valyrians had dragons for hundreds if not thousands of years and the Targaryens for hundreds. The one single recorded appearance of the Others prior to the current timeline of ASOIAF resulted, at least in legend, in the near destruction of the Human Race, the building of a massive magic wall to keep them out and the founding of an order of warriors - the Nights Watch - dedicated to guarding against their return. Eight thousand years later much has been forgotten but this is still remembered in folklore as The Long Night and a further cataclysmic confrontation is prophesied in The War for The Dawn and the emergence of The Prince Who was Promised to lead humanity through it.

Dragons are a trade-up on a direwolf but they kill to eat. Only when harnessed for warfare by humans are they seriously destructive and they are nowhere near an extinction level event.

Call me conventional but The Others are hands down the bigger threat.

The white walkers don't like life in any form either and seem to take it without hesitation. We aren't as ignorant as people claim about the White Walkers...their one appearance nearly 8000 years ago is still remembered as the time humanity (not just one people but all peoples) was nearly wiped out. The appropriate reaction to their threat was to build a wall of ice hundreds of feet high that runs across the width of a continent just to be sure they wouldn't come back. You do not build something of that size with that purpose if there is any way to negotiate with the other side. Sorry but you just don't. And I get there is a whole theory that it will turn out that the others are just "misunderstood" (I mean they just take any life they can get their hands on because cause they're cold and not really bad at all) but I think it is crap since nothing we have seen has suggested that the others and the white walkers are anything but walking anti-life.

The dragons are complicated because they are so destructive but they are mortal in a way that the Others/White walkers are not and in the end they are just animals. They are not the nuclear option because even full grown they could not cause that level of damage. They can burn a lot and kill a lot of people but will not vaporize a city in the blink of an eye. And in the end they can be defeated. This is not to say that they don't cause their own problems but between them and the Others, definitely the lesser of the two evils.

Dragons are a much bigger threat! The Others weakness is fire Dragons can burn them out. It would seem that with some dragonglass the Others are not to formidable (Sam killed one...). The dragons being able get around much quicker and with little to no warning for cities they approach they are by far more dangerous.

Dragons are a much bigger threat! The Others weakness is fire Dragons can burn them out. It would seem that with some dragonglass the Others are not to formidable (Sam killed one...). The dragons being able get around much quicker and with little to no warning for cities they approach they are by far more dangerous.

For the one that Sam killed how many black brothers died? And how many more Other/Walkers are there? The dragons will die, the Others are already dead. Until the dragons can wipe out all life in Westeros (and let's remember the Other/Walkers take dead animals as well as people - so potentially they could take a dragon as well) they aren't the bigger threat even if they are threatening.

the others could realistically wipe out all people. Dragons ;probably couldn't as there is only 3 of them. So while the others probably aren't all bad, they are more of a threat.

The Others are being kept north of the wall and had been for thousands of years. I should have stated this earlier but I consider dragons to be a bigger danger then The Others IF the Wall stay put. In other words, with current condition of westeros (as of ADWD) in mind, dragons are much bigger threat to weserosi people then The Others.

​In situation where others invade westeros and somehow wall melts, I agree with people that we don't know much about them to decide the outcome.

I am defo more worried about the others,

Dont get me wrong dragons are bad mutha fuckers, but they have no hidden agena, they just burn shit and eat people.

Where as we dont really know anything about the Others, and they are clearly gonna pull some proper sneaky, evil, weird shit before too long.

The Others are being kept north of the wall and had been for thousands of years. I should have stated this earlier but I consider dragons to be a bigger danger then The Others IF the Wall stay put. In other words, with current condition of westeros (as of ADWD) in mind, dragons are much bigger threat to weserosi people then The Others.

​In situation where others invade westeros and somehow wall melts, I agree with people that we don't know much about them to decide the outcome.

I don't think the wall will stay up but if it did then yeah the Dragons are a bigger threat if at the hands of a crazy person.

The Others have seemed intent on destroying human civilization, at least on Westeros, and don't seem to show any signs of empathy or a willingness to live in peace with people. They are probably more dangerous to have as an enemy, and a bigger threat to the integrity of civilization on the continent.

Dragons, by themselves, are dangerous, but localized. They're also not creatures capable of having their own agenda or deciding to wage war with another kingdom or another species. Under the control of ambitious and warlike people, they could be very devastating, but the goal of people using dragons would probably be to conquer and rule other peoples instead of destroying them. In the hands of someone with no empathy, no self-control, or delusions of grandeur, they can also be extremely dangerous. It's probably not a good idea for anyone to have them, but in Dany's hands, she could cause a lot of unnecessary death and destruction because of her inexperience, short-sightedness, and self-absorption.

Archived