Confessions......Say what!

Okay I've been holding this in for quite sometime and I really never wanted to post it cause I just knew everyone would be like "what the hell is wrong with you?"

So now I shall say it....

I could NOT stand Ned Stark the first time I read A Game of Thrones. It took me a second reading to warm up to him......

Now you confess.

What is something you really don't want to admit to concerning the series

As a whole, the Targaryens are extremely off-putting to me. Other than the occasional decent one (basically the quad of Jaeharys I, Viserys I, Daeron II and Aegon V), I can't fathom why so many people want this vain, batshit crazy, vipers' nest of pyromaniacs in charge of anything. I think one of the reasons Jon turned out to actually be a level-headed, decent person was because he didn't know he was a Targ.

I don't see them as cool or badass. I see them as the hick cousins of Valyria who were probably chased out and had the dumb luck to have dragons.

I confess that I thought Dany walked the moon when I first started reading. Thankfully, I got that blind love of certain characters out of my system by the second book. I think I really took "it's not a song" to heart soon after Ned was beheaded.

I have another one - I find the demands for ALL Freys to die to be quite unfair - we already know of at least 3 Freys who were specifically kept away (Olyvar, Alesander, and Perwyn), of many who are small children, and we can guess that other adults were not involved, given the size of the family. Especially since we have been told who the planners are and what they did, as well as even seen from Catelyn's POV who was actually present at the main part of the castle, I think it would make more sense to focus on those who we know are culpable. The unthinking vigilante approach is, to my mind, only an extension of the mentality that led the Freys to commit the Red Wedding in the first place.

I would call him a very good writer, but not great.

He did once write simple TV scripts, though, so it's not like I expect highbrow literature (that you wouldn't have heard of) from him.

People often consider literature for the masses (IE Shakespeare/Vega) to be chaff in the time of their writing. Don't discredit writing just due to its medium nor its audience, or you'll overlook masterpieces out of bigotry.

That being said. I don't think you can say there is a "greatest" writer. Most of the classically good writers that are brought up, honestly are pains in the ass to read. (if anyone tells me they read Dante and enjoyed it, or an original version of Dostoevsky I know they're a liar).

GRRM is a good writer, there are plenty of hidden goodies, there are no holes, he relies on few stereotypes, is piece is an original inversion on a theme. Best ? No, but thats an empty word when it comes to writers.

My comment was a tongue-in-cheek reaction to the posts on the "Blackwater" episode forum. I'm obviously a fan or I wouldn't be here.

And to the Robert Arryn fan... I suppose you think the Boltons are in for a redemption too? :)

I hated Khal Drogo from the start, and while originally viewing Dany as an interesting if pitiable character, grew to hate her by the end of Dance of Dragons. They just hurt too many 'little people' in pursuit of their ambitions for me to love them.

Archived