Non-spoiler discussion of the show goes here, for those who've not read the books or those who have but are happy to not actually reference them at all in discussion, taking each episode as it comes.

This topic should open automatically when the show begins airing.

Edited by Ran

Did anyone else hear the words "Game of Thrones, season finale" and think OHHH NOOOOO!

I'm so bummed that the season is over. I loved it. Dany's trip to the House of the Undying. How fabulous to see Khal Drogo and the baby.

Everyone is off on a new adventure, Bran and Rickon, Jon Snow, Sam, Dany, Arya, Robb, Jaime, even Sansa (though we don't really see where she's going, or how she's staying) and Tyrion.

No one has seen their status unchanged.

That was so awesome!! Zombies, dragons, White walkers with ice swords! Augh, I can't wait another year for this....

What exactly happened at Winterfell? I thought the Iron men gave up without a fight, so why was the castle burned and everyone killed? And why was no one there when Bran and the rest walked out? Does that mean that the 500 men burned the castle, and left? Is that why Master Luwin sent them north, instead of south, since their supposed allies want them dead? They were the bald guy's men, right (Robb's chief advisor)? Does that mean that he's working against Robb? Nooo, I can't take more Stark suffering.

And wow, the House of the Undying scene was amazing! What did it all mean? Was the ruined, snow-blown Throne room a vision of the future, when the White Walkers overrun the world? Dany's scene with ghost Drogo and baby was heartbreaking, showing just exactly what she's giving up for her quest for power. I didn't quite understand how Dany overcame Xaro's people, or where all the Dothraki came from (I thought they were all killed earlier with Irri). But it was all worth it: whiny annoying Dany seems to have given way to awesome badass Dany.

I'm assuming she and her dragons are eventually going to have some epic showdown with the White Walkers, but I'm equally looking forward to the other story lines. Like, what will Tywin do, and how will Tyrion claw his way back to power? I am soooo looking forward to the upcoming Cersei/Margery rivalry: they both want the same thing (to be Queen) and I think Margery is going to crush Cersei. Robb seems totally doomed now, he just doesn't know it. The Night's Watch is toast, so what's going to happen at the Wall? Poor Bran and Rickon are going to reach there, only to find that once again, there's no one to help them.

But mainly: Ice Zombies!!!

What exactly happened at Winterfell? I thought the Iron men gave up without a fight, so why was the castle burned and everyone killed? And why was no one there when Bran and the rest walked out? Does that mean that the 500 men burned the castle, and left? Is that why Master Luwin sent them north, instead of south, since their supposed allies want them dead? They were the bald guy's men, right (Robb's chief advisor)? Does that mean that he's working against Robb? Nooo, I can't take more Stark suffering.

there is no way to answer that question without spoilering the introduction of the most controversial and interesting character in the whole series

great episode, absolutely loved it.

however, few questions as well.

wasn't Stannis Baratheon taken hostage on the wall in King's Landing by the Lannister soldiers? why is he at home free??

also, didn't quite understand why Sansa was still at King's Landing. wasn't she supposed to run away with "Dog"?

wasn't Stannis Baratheon taken hostage on the wall in King's Landing by the Lannister soldiers? why is he at home free??

also, didn't quite understand why Sansa was still at King's Landing. wasn't she supposed to run away with "Dog"?

* no, that were his men that dragged him away (Stannis) - red helmets = lannisters, everybody else = not lannisters :)

* the dog only offered her to run away with him, she rejected because she's afraid that they would get caught or because she's afraid that the whole suggestion was a trick by Joffrey to have a reason to punish her or because she simple does not trust the dog.

thanks for clarification.

another question - when they talked in the series few times already about Joffreys sadism with whores, was it about the same incident when Tyrion gave him present for the "nameday", or should we understand that he is doing it frequently now?

when they talked in the series few times already about Joffreys sadism with whores, was it about the same incident when Tyrion gave him present for the "nameday", or should we understand that he is doing it frequently now?

same incident, he is too afraid to let a women actualy touch him as you could see by his reaction at the beginning of the scene with the whores

Another thing that just occurred to me: right after Littlefinger jokes about needing to acquire some sons and grandsons, the first thing he does is ... chat up Sansa.

Ewwww....

Oh.... wow... you're right... huh....

didnt catch that train of thought but OK. He did mention Cat (love like a sister... like a Lanister? OHHH MYYYYY!)

Im surprized sansa didnt cry in joy and then say her lawl was a Bawl!

Also! SHAE! Omg! Tyrion should have totally skipped town with her! Would save much grief for him since cercei wants him dead.

Although in Arya's case, i want her to go with Jaqen (or not jaqen) and train in badassery but on the other hand I love her little relationship blossoming with Gendry. too many good offers turned down this week.

Am I the only one who thinks Robb's screwed?

Edited by DontCallMeLadyFluff

Another thing that just occurred to me: right after Littlefinger jokes about needing to acquire some sons and grandsons, the first thing he does is ... chat up Sansa.

Ewwww....

Oh.... wow... you're right... huh....

didnt catch that train of thought but OK. He did mention Cat (love like a sister... like a Lanister? OHHH MYYYYY!)

1337528786358.gif

(not sure, this isn't showing up for me. Just follow the link. Worth it :D)

Also, my friend and I think that Jon Snow and the Wildling army are going to sweep out of the north, fighting their way through the Whitewalkers (sort of disappointed that they don't really resemble at all what they're described as in the early parts of the first book, which I just started) and south to help the Starks, now that the Lannisters seem to have the upper hand. But we're solidly on Team Stark so it may be wishful thinking.

It also seems to me that several storylines are leading to The Wall now: Jon Snow is already there, Maester Luwin suggested that Theon head there, so assuming he recovers from the bump on the head, I think he'll probably head north now that his own men have betrayed him, Bran, Rickon, Osha and Hodor are headed there, and I have a feeling Tyrion and Arya (though I can't remember if she said where she was headed...) will end up there eventually as well. Because of that, I don't think the Whitewalkers will overrun The Wall as easily as it might seem.

First post. Love this show and love what little I've read of the first book so far!

Edited by Zanz

This thread is much more fun than the spoiler threads!

Agree! It is fun to see what non book readers think, what they get right and wrong, and to just get a new perspective. Cheers to a fun season and episode...boo that we must wait another year...

Various opinions and questions on finale:

The reason the Whitewalker-king(?) just looked at Sam, and apparently spared his life was a good way to communicate his insignificance in the event of Winter Coming. He was not perceived as a threat or vital one way or the other for what was taking place.

Disappointed to only see one Whitewalker, and hundreds of turned people - hopefully this will be more majestic in s03. He was clearly an elder/king, the Whitewalker in s01e01 was brown w/blue eyes.

Can somehow forgive Daenerys weak season, with a lot of whining, bad strategy (or none, just demanding) and horrible acting - finally looks like she is going dark and hard again, like she was transformed by the marriage to Dhrogo. She needs to be relentless, ruthless and dark to work, otherwise that character falls through.

Varys most definitely needs more screen-time to show his ways, or maybe it's good that his activities remain off-screen - too add to the mystique of his power?

The Imp prevails! - surely keen to avenge his demotion.

Is Sansa and Lord Baelish getting together?

Yeah and more,

So Dragons had not been around for Millennia right; I think that should have been more emphasized - the return of the dragons in the Universe, there should be more training, figuring out what they eat - protecting them better. I think they eat either horsemeat or people. Maybe Whitewalkers?

Clearly Westeros needs Daenerys help, as the only thing that kills Whitewalkers and turned people is fire...if she is returning, they might have to ally with her in return for the Throne!

Glad to see magic returning, Bran can probably evolve his visions into seeing the future - or control the wolves better. Hopefully the wolves will grow bigger and play more of an active role.

Any reason why Stannis is not using that black smoke demon in his campaign for the Throne? Surely it had more than one kill in it.

Cercei and Joffrey needs to die soon, too annoying - not clever enough.

Sansa needs to get her loyalty straight!

Yeah and more,

So Dragons had not been around for Millennia right; I think that should have been more emphasized - the return of the dragons in the Universe, there should be more training, figuring out what they eat - protecting them better. I think they eat either horsemeat or people. Maybe Whitewalkers?

Clearly Westeros needs Daenerys help, as the only thing that kills Whitewalkers and turned people is fire...if she is returning, they might have to ally with her in return for the Throne!

Glad to see magic returning, Bran can probably evolve his visions into seeing the future - or control the wolves better. Hopefully the wolves will grow bigger and play more of an active role.

Any reason why Stannis is not using that black smoke demon in his campaign for the Throne? Surely it had more than one kill in it.

Cercei and Joffrey needs to die soon, too annoying - not clever enough.

Sansa needs to get her loyalty straight!

1. Dragons eat sort of meat as long as it's cooked.

2. Stannis didn't want to use Melisandre in the battle because he thought that if he had won people would say it was Melisandre who won the battle.

I agree with you, BaleriOne. There doesn't seem to be a lot of emphasis on Westeros being aware of the dragons. It seems like information is traveling back & forth between the islands pretty freely -- why would the existence of dragons not be FREAKING PEOPLE OUT?

Sansa -- come on girl! You had a free ticket with the Hound, but you stuck around? And now you're out of your obligation, but you tell Littlefinger you want to stay in King's Landing? What is wrong with that chick? Or maybe that little smile she gave as she started walking is the indicator and she's going to look for the Hound after all... hmm...

A couple of theories I have now that both the seasons are over:

Littlefinger & Varys -- they are definitely more in control of EVERYTHING than we realize. It's not just the information they have/get, it's how freely they are able to move around without much impediment. I am seeing Littlefinger & Margery as the King & Queen with Varys as the Hand of the King.

Jon & Ygritte -- oh yeah, they're gonna get together. And I think Jon will become the Lord Commander of the Wall (at least) after the battle that appears to be imminent. I wonder if Jon might go back to Winterfell once Bran & Rickon find him; then they'll rebuild the city together.

Robb, Catelyn -- I have a bad feeling about them. Somehow I don't expect them to ever see Winterfell (burned down or otherwise) again. And it makes me sad, because I (like almost everyone) totally love the Starks.

Tyrion -- something's going to happen and he's going to either leave King's Landing or be cast out. I'd like to think Shae will go with him, but now that Tywin is in town, he's going to be pretty upset that Tyrion defied his order.

Joffrey -- he's going to get it. Hard. Bad. And he totally deserves it. I'm hoping it'll be Stannis that does it, or maybe one of Stannis & Melisandre's black, juicy smoke demons.

Daenerys -- as much as I'd love for her & Jorah to get together, she intends to be Queen and I can't see him as her King. He'll be her Captain of the King's Guard or whatever. She's going to do some damage with those dragons though. And it seems obvious that the dragons will be what repels the white walkers -- it is a song of ICE and FIRE, after all. But, she won't make it to the throne. Remember, I have Littlefinger & Margery in that spot...