(Book spoilers) Who runs the show in Qarth now?

JanusLaurent

I think they meant to imply that the city was poor, it was an illusion. There is nothing in Qarth for Dany or anyone else. Its time she leaves.

They did kind of imply that, though it makes no sense. Obviously he had money or he wouldn't have had gold all thru his house or the house itself, or become a member of the 13. The whole story line was kind of silly even disregarding the books completely.

They did kind of imply that, though it makes no sense. Obviously he had money or he wouldn't have had gold all thru his house or the house itself, or become a member of the 13. The whole story line was kind of silly even disregarding the books completely.

yes the spoken claim that it was illusion was awful. he had valuables all over that house. what do you think the items that they were taking to buy ships was worth. none of it was fake, he just didnt keep stuff in a vault. and he's a trader, not a king, much of his wealth should be in investments. in ships full of goods making their way to different points.

what he shoudl have invested in was a few guards

By the way, who actually is willing to believe that 'the King of Qarth' would actually allow a ragged band of unwashed savages allow access to his bed chamber? What kind of 'king' or wealthy merchant does not post some guards at his gates?

And further, does anyone believe the Qartheen would allow Dany and her score of unwashed bandits to leave the city alive after they killed 1. the honorable Qartheen citizen Pyat Pree and 2. the self-proclaimed King of Qarth Xaro Xhoan Daxos?

I don't think so...

By the way, who actually is willing to believe that 'the King of Qarth' would actually allow a ragged band of unwashed savages allow access to his bed chamber? What kind of 'king' or wealthy merchant does not post some guards at his gates?

And further, does anyone believe the Qartheen would allow Dany and her score of unwashed bandits to leave the city alive after they killed 1. the honorable Qartheen citizen Pyat Pree and 2. the self-proclaimed King of Qarth Xaro Xhoan Daxos?

I don't think so...

Yeah, all this was really silly.

The Qarth plotline in the books is pretty weak IMO, but in the show they made it even worse.

I don't think so...

My question about it really is...does anyone else even know? There are no other warlocks apparently, so no one to report that he is dead. The HotU did not burn down, so no one to see smoke coming out of there. Does anyone else even know the King of Qarth even exists - did he announce the 13...er...12ish...left the city to him? If so, do the people of Qarth care? Or do they just see him as an extension of the 13?

Fred Savage... The little kid from the Wonder Years runs Quarth right now. I will continue to believe this until you prove it to me otherwise.

Well, he hasn't done anything since Goldmember, so he probably has the time. And he can get Danica to be his master of coin,

Well, if there were guards posted at Xaro's house (or at the gates of Qarth, where at least when Dany came guards had a rather shiny appearance) they would know about the fact that 1. Xaro was locked in his own vault, and 2. Xaro was robbed by his guests.

Surely whoever rules Qarth now would care about that...

And if there had been guards at Xaro's house/the city's gates, they would have also found out about Pyat's death eventually...

As about the death of the Thirteen: One should expect that all Qarth knows about Xaro's and Pyat's coup right now. After all, their families would have realized quite soon that they were dead when they did not return from the session of the Thirteen...

I don't think so...

It is possible that the HOTU were viewed as such a certain doom that anyone who entered was presumed dead. The fact that Danys actually emerged from it may just have scared the shit out of a very superstitious people, and let her gain entry to his home. Xaro likely assumed she was gone and no threat. Doesn't make perfect sense, but then, the book wasn't all that strong on it either. Qarth was a weird place all around.

Well, if that were the case, I'd have to expect that they would show it ;-).

More importantly, Qarth is not exactly a weird place in the book. They are a civilized people. It makes sense that no one tries to steal the dragons (how could he keep them, with all the other factions playing there own game?). That's why Xaro wanted to marry Dany - apparently the other Qartheen would have not objected to that.

Well, he hasn't done anything since Goldmember, so he probably has the time.

umm, what about his fantastic appearance in an episode of happy endings this year?

giving in-person commentary on the princess bride

"I told him you want someone to phone it in, get Kirk Cameron. You want someone to be a savage, you get Fred........ Savage."

He was a hustler. One of those social climbing types who are "house poor". It's one thing to be able to scrap up enough to buy a manse and some nice trappings to decorate it. It's quite another to have a massive vault overflowing with rare and exotic treasures. The perception that Xaro had this inexhaustible fortune behind those doors is what lead to his power in Qarth. It was an illusion of power...a notion that shadows Varys' famous quote from earlier in the season.

I think she will sack the city to make up for taking over Astapor and Yunkai. I always thought Dany would sack only one city before Meereen.

sack it with what? 20 old dothraki and 3 dragons the size of cats?

He was a hustler. One of those social climbing types who are "house poor". It's one thing to be able to scrap up enough to buy a manse and some nice trappings to decorate it. It's quite another to have a massive vault overflowing with rare and exotic treasures. The perception that Xaro had this inexhaustible fortune behind those doors is what lead to his power in Qarth. It was an illusion of power...a notion that shadows Varys' famous quote from earlier in the season.

That makes little sense. He doesn't have to have a vault overflowing with rare and exotic treasures to be the richest man in Qarth. In a land with no credit cards I don't really see how he could have "hustled" a mansion filled with gold statues, cups and decorations. He was dressed like nobility, lived in a mansion, and had servants and money to host all of Qarth's nobility. He made it into one of the 13. For him to have no magical all valuable treasure in his vault I can accept, but just the cost of making the "valarian stone vault" would not be trivial. To say his wealth was completely a fraud I consider that a poorly written story line.

I think locking Irri (was that her name?) in the vault was extremely harsh. Especially after she had already pimped her out to the Qartheens to get info on them. So she shagged Xaro? So what? She locks her in a vault to die a horrible death for that?! I always thought Dany was a hypcritical bitch but man that's dark.

Potentially leaving Qarth without a ruler was a bit much as well. The city could descend into complete anarchy. I never really saw Xaro has doing that much wrong anyway. He just went along with the other elders getting killed, the dragon stealing was surely all Pyat Pree's doing. Sure he probably knew about it but seems a bit much. She should have just left him.

Archived