(Book spoilers) Who runs the show in Qarth now?

JanusLaurent

After what they had been through? Are you referring to Dany leading them through the red waste and almost starving out? She is a slave girl who hooks up with the king of Qarth seems like what any girl in her position would do if given the opportunity. I know Dany treated her well but she also knew that Dany had nothing and paled in comparison to the power of Xaro. Xaro created an illusion of great power that worked on everyone why not Doreah?

There is too much expediency to it.... as if they wanted to make room for more characters to come , a lot more!.... and did not want to carry Roxanne McKee's contract any more.

As other have noted Dany set her up... And no I don't buy that she would betray Dany ... silly plot narrative.

Now Roxanne McKee had been on another TV show , stage play, that had wanted her back, which she had turned down ... tho I don't think absolutely , so I don't know maybe she asked D and D for an out.

It's a small thing and I know in the books her character is not even there, still, in the novels to the end of ADWD those three Dorthraki hand maidens and three blood riders were still in her inner circle and provided a kind of spiritual continuity with her evolution by way of Drogo and the khalasar which was a nice touch by George. Hate to see it gone.

(For a two season character, have not heard a new peep out of Roxanne McKee since the end of the season, she might come back!)

But didn't Xaro have his own household guards killed? As king of qarth, one would think he could afford some new guards. And how does Dany have more guards? Seemed like all of hers died in episode six, since after that she's only ever seen with Jorah and that one Dothraki guard.

We see several of Dany's Dothraki 'guards' , heck one of her bloodriders (is there only one left?).... Mr. bearded Dothraki shows up in E6, he even has a name...

In the end of E10 there are scads of her tiny khalasar , which looked bigger than her 'hoard' that entered Qarth.

But then in the books there were about 70 with her all the way through the end of the fifth novel. Tho only Jhogo, Aggo, and RAKHARO, (who the heck was Xaro) (blood riders) and IRRI and JHIQUI (there were only two, not three) were on the page.

Where the rest of the Dothraki stayed and what they did is never made clear by George, they just seem to be off in the background somewhere.

(What ever in the hell happen to Jhiqui , played by Sarita Piotrowski, is she still about?)

Anyway Dany's Dothraki, now you see them, now you don't!

I don't see how Dany set her up. Yes she told her to sleep with some men of Qarth and report to her. I don't see how that is setting her up though. I too am disappointed in her losing her handmaidens mostly because that means no lesbian hookup for Dany. Terribly ruining her character development. Well maybe not that but I thought Dany's lesbian experiences really rounded out her character as my dream girl. Oh well.

Dany told the girl to sleep with people for information, not sell her ass out and move in with the freshly minted usurper king as a perminant resident. Diahrea or whatever her name was stabbed Dany in the back big time, and was almost certainly in on the dragon theft as well, being as how she was one of the people that the dragons were gentle around. They didn't take the cages and all, they took the dragons out of their cages and put them in others for transport. Only diahrea could have done that, the wizard or the fat king would have gotten a face full of fire for their trouble.

What I don't get is after that one flabby jackass corrected her about the proper way of saying Qarth and then proceeded to act like a total pompus ass. Why the hell did Dany pronounce the name as that guy said it, I would have continued to call it Quarth with a Q sound just to piss the guy off, and if he got irate about it, a bloodrider would have been ordered to scalp him and make a hat out of the bastards purple hair and wear it around town as an example to the rest of those shits. As crazy as Dany seems at times, I can't believe she just cowed over for that fool, especially once she was inside the gates and realised that Qarth had no military except cowardly paper tigers pretending to be soldiers.

To answer the original poster, I would assume a slave government will be put in place like they did in the other cities Dany sacked. They will probably condense all those cities into one and have Qarth a combination of all the cities she sacked, and she will go straight from Qarth to the city of Meereen where she will sit for the next three seasons and accomplish nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Xaro's lack of guards made sense. He relied on Pyat Pree to protect him. He's a foreigner that probably doesn't have a lot of friends in the city or enough money to pay off guards. Definitely not after the coup. I doubt the militia we see when Dany enters the city feels any loyalty to him. All his firepower is composed of an army of Pyat Pree clones. The only reason he's still alive after what he and Pyat did to the Qartheen ruling body is the fear the sorcerer inspires in everybody. Once Dany killed the sorcerer there was no one left to protect him.

As for her phantom Khalasar, I assumed the bodies in Xaro's house were illusions Pyat conjured to goad Dany into his HotU and they were alive all along somehwere, maybe blindly wandering in illusion-land.

• 1 month later...

I think locking Irri (was that her name?) in the vault was extremely harsh. Especially after she had already pimped her out to the Qartheens to get info on them. So she shagged Xaro? So what? She locks her in a vault to die a horrible death for that?! I always thought Dany was a hypcritical bitch but man that's dark.

Potentially leaving Qarth without a ruler was a bit much as well. The city could descend into complete anarchy. I never really saw Xaro has doing that much wrong anyway. He just went along with the other elders getting killed, the dragon stealing was surely all Pyat Pree's doing. Sure he probably knew about it but seems a bit much. She should have just left him.

That wasn't Irri, that was Doreah.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

That makes little sense. He doesn't have to have a vault overflowing with rare and exotic treasures to be the richest man in Qarth. In a land with no credit cards I don't really see how he could have "hustled" a mansion filled with gold statues, cups and decorations. He was dressed like nobility, lived in a mansion, and had servants and money to host all of Qarth's nobility. He made it into one of the 13. For him to have no magical all valuable treasure in his vault I can accept, but just the cost of making the "valarian stone vault" would not be trivial. To say his wealth was completely a fraud I consider that a poorly written story line.

The vault itself would have cost a tremendous amount of money. The fact that it was empty means nothing, I agree on that point. Most of his wealth would have been in ships and trade goods that are on the move.

I don't think anyone meant that it was literally all a lie, just that he wasn't anywhere close to being the richest man in Qarth. He used the illusion of wealth to gain some actual wealth, but probably used nearly all of that to better maintain the illusion. Its a pretty common storytelling trope actually, and one with real world examples. Bernie Maddof for instance apparently couldn't even pay his credit card bills the month before he was arrested, but everyone thought he was worth billions.

Huh, that does make sense if you put it that way.

I don't get why both of the handmaidens died No more lesbian love scenes?

BTW, I like the actor that played Xaro. :)

• 2 weeks later...

They did kind of imply that, though it makes no sense. Obviously he had money or he wouldn't have had gold all thru his house or the house itself, or become a member of the 13. The whole story line was kind of silly even disregarding the books completely.

Yeah, very disappointing how it all ended in Qarth. I dont know how it was in the Books, but it couldnt have been worse than this.

Archived