Changing images?

dubq

Why do people keep switching out the classic and timeless illustrations of characters for these photoshopped renderings made from stills taken from the tv series? In a lot of cases, the tv counterparts don't even look like the book versions of how a character is described, and this wiki is first and foremost about the books. Kind of annoying to see this trend as of late.

Just as with most other changes people make them because they think it fit better ;) Overall the rule is that a primary image to be used, should be one that does not deviate too much from how the character is described, and a good artistic depiction over a photo when one is available.

Which is kind of hard, right now the Tv show is the single best source we have, since most other sources we can use are based on the Tv show depiction as well... if you have specific pages inmind and images we can use, either make the switch or post on their talk page or here about them.

I would love to make the changes myself but I cannot seem to create a wiki account to log in with. It's not that I do not appreciate the artwork being created... but each characters wiki entry depicts the events that happen to them in the books, including their appearance and characteristics. When I log in to see a photoshopped portrait of Peter Dinklage headlining the Tyrion page, it's kind of annoying. Those images should be supplementary (down the page a bit) or reserved for wiki entries that are solely about the TV show and the TV characters. Maybe I'm being anal about it, but I dunno.. ;)

EDIT: Just to be clear, this isn't a slight on the show, the casting, or the actors - - I love all of it. I just feel that the main pages for this wiki are obviously book focused and are meant to be canon and not for revisions that have happened via the teleplays.

Dubq,

I completely agree. TV show images should be the last resort and should not be placed in the primary position of the wiki. Same with drawings based on the actors. We should be using images that are based on the books first and foremost. It's bothersome if people are genuinely replacing perfectly usable art based on the books with TV show images.

Make one or two more posts here, BTW, and you should be able to gain wiki editing rights.

Which is kind of hard, right now the Tv show is the single best source we have.

This is the thing, also we don’t need to get permission to use the image as long as we do the general copyright thingy. When it comes to using an artist’s picture you need to get their permission in order to avoid infringement and they don’t always respond, take a long time to respond, or don’t want their images used or cropped or shrunk, can change their minds etc.

I think a wiki page with an image - even if it is a TV image - is better than no image at all (unless youre talking about Xaro *grumble* who looks nothing like the Milk Man in my minds eye :shocked: , or the faces on the heart trees - just awful! ). Anyhoo images bring a page to life. :D

Why do people keep switching out the classic and timeless illustrations of characters for these photoshopped renderings made from stills taken from the tv series? In a lot of cases, the tv counterparts don't even look like the book versions of how a character is described, and this wiki is first and foremost about the books. Kind of annoying to see this trend as of late.

I agree though that the TV series images and artist portraits heavily influenced by the TV series should be treated as secondary and not be in primary position if possible. The top page of the wiki should be reserved for artists who have used their imaginations.

I too want very much to see an accurate portrayal of the Tyrion in the novels at the top of the page too i.e. mismatched eyes etc.

• 8 months later...

I hate to bump this, but I am once again seeing that people are switching out TV show images as the main image on character pages. Mostly the ones that look like still frames from the series, but then someone has essentially traced over them in photoshop. Anyway, I was trying to find an image of Bran by Amoka, and lo and behold it is no longer on the site. UGH.

As I remember the decision which image to use as "main image" was the one that best fits the description of the character (in the books). So that does not exclude the TV show images.

For Tyrion I entirely agree; the current one that is based on the tv serie does not fit at all. Amoka made two different images of Tyrion. this one is the best so it would be an improvement.

For Bran the Amoka image is rather plain. Can't we think of better images?

btw I'll go to the images and add and extra category: the character itself! That way it will be easier to find the images. Let's make this a standard practice when we upload a new image.

Archived