[Book Spoilers] Wex Mentioned in Theon's Speech

DragonCrass

When they scanned through the random Iron Born I was wondering which one Wex was supposed to be. While reading, I don’t know if I missed it but I don’t remember a physical description/ age of him.

Then on the Maester Luwin death scene, I couldn’t help but imagine him listening from the branches of the heart tree. Luwin says take them North, the show left out the Skaggos and the split them up part. So, other than that the Stark kids are still alive, I wonder what he will have to offer later in the show.

Or if they will even use that storyline with Davos, or if it was just a wink to the readers.

I did the same, try to locate wex in the crew when Theon was given the speech, the only thing that I don't know is how they're going to join the part of wex and the Davos, because in the book the say that wex was above the tree and that was because Ramsay burn the city and in the TV Show all the ironborn just surrender and they trapped to Theon and was given to Ramsay so I assume that wex was put in freedom with the ironborn

the ironborn just strolled out of winterfell so there would be no reason for wex to be hiding in the tree. i'm sure they'll come up with something else so davos will know where to find rickon.

My theory is still that Bran, Osha, and company will meet the Wonder twins Reed kids on the road North early next season, and the Reed's will suggest splitting them up. I don't really see how they cannot include the Reeds in the story. To much plot change to have Osha take both Stark boys North of the Wall, but leaving them out of season 2 (I hope) was only about $$.

Just read that the Reeds will be in season 3, but they have not been cast yet. Also look for the Blackfish, Shireen, and Dario next season.

My question is why mention Wex by name? They never introduced him as Theon's squire. Never showed him by face. Was it just so they can use it clog a plot hole when they reach ADWD and say remember that Iron Born Theon randomly named before he conked him over the head? Yeah well he was hiding -- blah blah.

My question is why mention Wex by name? They never introduced him as Theon's squire. Never showed him by face. Was it just so they can use it clog a plot hole when they reach ADWD and say remember that Iron Born Theon randomly named before he conked him over the head? Yeah well he was hiding -- blah blah.

I don't think there's any significance to naming Wex. Remember, his was just one of several names mentioned by Theon in the speech, which closely paralleled the famous Henry V Saint Crispen's Day speech (http://www.gonderzon...hts/crispen.htm) in structure. Instead of "Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter, Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester", we got Black Lorren, Wex, and others.

To piggyback on dcat's post above, I remember getting pretty excited when Theon was talking -- not only does he talk about people like Shakespeare's Henry V, he talks about how they will be remembered in the future. the only thing missing was "band of brothers." LOL Since I knew Theon's fate, I thought it was so amusing to have him give a St. Crispin's day speech.

Now that you think about it, how can they place a boy in among the ironborn that were supposed to raid fishing villages? What good will he do aside from shipwork?

From what I remember Wex was actually related to the Botleys, a noble house in the Iron Islands and Theon took him on as a squire in return for his horse Smiler. I think Wex was 12 or 13 in ACOK and Davos put his age at 14 or 15 in ADWD.

I think wex being one of the names was just paying homage to the book readers. If they go the split route (which I think they will) it will be because as tearloch said the Reeds will find them and suggest it (bran will go with the plan because he dreamed it, or jojen dreamed it and Bran trusts the fellow dreamer).

The person informing manderlay will be a random person they meet on the road, or e flint/Norrey mountain man they cross along the way.

• 3 months later...

Yeah... somehow, I doubt that is going to matter at all. Manderly will just hear about it somehow just like Loras miraculously learned that Stannis killed Renly.

TV Loras put two and two together.

Who had the most to gain from Renly's death?

Stannis

TV Loras is just much more smarter than Book Loras

• 3 months later...

the ironborn just strolled out of winterfell so there would be no reason for wex to be hiding in the tree. i'm sure they'll come up with something else so davos will know where to find rickon.

The person informing manderlay will be a random person they meet on the road, or e flint/Norrey mountain man they cross along the way.

I really don't see why they can't still use him. They don't need to mention that he was anyones squire or anything, that is irrelevant so far as the show goes. The fact that some boy, who was named nonetheless, was hiding (simply out of fear?) in the Godswood when Winterfell was burned to the ground and followed the Starks is totally plausible

Archived