[TV Spoilers] Why didn't the White Walker kill Sam?

Gallant

Book 3 spoiler:

As that scene evolved, I really expected they would have Sam kill him with the obsidian knife. Instead he just stared at him. Was he too craven in his eyes and not even worth to kill? What do you think the writers of the show want us to think of this? Or is it just the only way to show their army closing by through the eyes of one of the characters? Another small thing; in the books there weren't even white walkers attacking the fist of the first men, there were just wights. This made a lot of people think the white walkers were very few in number. I'm also very excited for what will happen next, I hope they show us the battle at the fist!

I think they are setting it up for the battle on the FoFM to happen first next season and sam will trail behind to gain his confidence and then finally he will have his making moment :)

But the other NW men have to be attacked as well and sam will find his courage... maybe after mormont speaks with him?

if you recall the prologue of ASOS it was a lead up to the fight and then later sam recalls what had happened later in his chapter... so ending like this isnt so bad

Actually if you look at the scene, right where it zooms out with the white walker calling the wights to attack, his horse is too far behind the stone to see Sam - in the zoomes out shot, it appears that he's looking at his army instead.

How the physics of it would work, with Sam apparently being able to see it, I don't know...

Perhaps it's subtle foreshadowing that the Others aren't completely evil?

I think the scene could have been done differently. Like they could've heard the three blasts while on the FOTFM, then the camera zooms down to show the Wight army below, and focuses in on the White Walker before cutting to black. Not sure how they're going to have Sam get to Craster's now if he's separated from the NW.

I like how they've built such a major, epic scene like this as a cliffhanger, making their audience expect a major battle first episode in, only to probably never show anything like that for next season :P

Firstly, it's very difficult to attach motives or reason to the Others from the show or the books, beyond the fact that they generally attack men (the willdings and the NW).

They didn't kill all the rangers in the prologue of aGoT. Was is Will or Gared? He was up a tree but it's not clear whether the WW's know he's there and leave him or are unaware he's there. It's probably a fair bet that they know he's there. We know he was 'frozen by fear' whereas Waymar Royce faced the Other and tried to fight. It might be that they do leave people who submit or show cowardice when they have other things to focus on. Neither Will or Sam posed a threat so there'd be no real reason to kill them other than sheer evil.

We know that the Others have attacked the willdlings and the NW as they went back to Craster's but these seem to be small scale and they don't seem intent on wiping them out just yet anyway. Presumably even a moderate force of Others could take out the Nights Watch men north of the Wall or most of the wildlings if they didn't have dragon glass or some other kind of magical weapon/protection.

One thing I do know, that White Walker's going to regret leaving Sam the Slayer alive. B)

The writers have tried to make things more cliche than the books, so I expect it will open next season with the battle at the Fist. Then a white walker is closing in on the Old Bear and Sam saves him with the obsidian dagger.

We do not know any such thing.

They for all intents and purposes did not know or saw Will up on the tree, being busy with Royce.

Garred escaped way before and he wasnt even close. He stayed with the horses and took off when things started to get weird, having all sorts of bad feelings and premonitions before that.

What we know is that kill absolutely anyone they can. There is no letting go. Just more zombie fodder.

We dont know what exactly happens with craster sons but that doesnt mean we can draw any conclusions based on - not knowing anything.

They could just as well sacrifice the babies to their Great Other God as turn them into Others or eat them or whatever.

There is no reason for letting Sam live and it wont be shown in S3 anyway.

Thse are just futile hopes.

The only thing I said we knew was that the Others attack wildlings and the NIght's Watch. I'm pretty sure we do know that. Beyond knowing that and admitting that we don't really know much about their motives or personalities, the rest is guesswork. Much like "what we know is that they kill absolutely anyone they can". Not only do you not know that but it's just plain wrong. The Others didn't kill Craster or any of his wives/daughters. You can speculate as to the reasons why but the facts are that they could have killed them and they didn't.

The only thing I said we knew was that the Others attack wildlings and the NIght's Watch. I'm pretty sure we do know that. Beyond knowing that and admitting that we don't really know much about their motives or personalities, the rest is guesswork. Much like "what we know is that they kill absolutely anyone they can". Not only do you not know that but it's just plain wrong. The Others didn't kill Craster or any of his wives/daughters. You can speculate as to the reasons why but the facts are that they could have killed them and they didn't.

Yeah , human sacrifice is a pretty ghastly deal, but hell still makes the Others seem easy to buy off....

Never made sense to me.

Yeah , human sacrifice is a pretty ghastly deal, but hell still makes the Others seem easy to buy off....

Never made sense to me.

The Others might have been small in numbers, then Craster "fed" them with his sons so that they were able to grow into a much larger number of Others. So they let him live if he paid continuous tribute and helped make more Others.

How do you know that the Other didn’t kill Sam? Never know, you know.

Shoot me now.

"Hello Maester Marwyn, I am Ros. I have come here to become a maester of the Citadel."

Yeah , human sacrifice is a pretty ghastly deal, but hell still makes the Others seem easy to buy off.... Never made sense to me.

We've really got no idea what the Others are doing with these kids. Craster's wives seem to think they're being turned into Others. They could be plain old sacrifices, used for some kind of Great Other magic similar to R'hllor and his King's blood.

All will be revealed at some point I suppose.

I like how they've built such a major, epic scene like this as a cliffhanger, making their audience expect a major battle first episode in, only to probably never show anything like that for next season :P

I laughed at this because it is a good point and almost the exact same thing the books have done before. ie: Prologues for GoT, AFFC; Epilogue ASOS

No, it is clear from the books that Others kill everything living. Even animals.

They are merciless. Craster is paying for his life with lives of his sons. As others are not yet ready to begin the invasion and are generally far away from Casters home.

But that will only last untill they get their numbers and strength up. Which just happened.

If anything Crasters case points in opposite direction of "they sometimes just let people go".

They dont.

Stop trying to find week excuses for this horrible show. Its very transparent.

Oh, look an expert on Others. Do you know something about them we dont?

Archived