Alfie Allen on Jon Snow's parents

EdThaSt0rm

so here's the full paragraph from the interview:

What did you ask him about in return?

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

I wonder what to make of the immediate jump from Luke Skywalker to the War of the Roses and Targ incest. Why bring the incest into it as a related thought? He's clearly at least half Stark, so why fixate on Targ incest? I think it's a very strange excerpt, and I wonder how much can be drawn from this. I still believe his father is Rhaegar, and if anything, perhaps it speaks to the fact that his father is someone he wouldn't expect, or that learning his paternity is a dark thing or something like that.

I think a "normal" person when asked if they would sleep with their sister would automatically say something along the lines of hell no. It should be like a reflex.

Aww hell no! I mean, have you seen my sister?

That's a good point butterbumps!, why does he bring up the Targ line of succession when talking about Jon's parents?

I think that's just more evidence that Jon has a Targ daddy. Not that we needed it, R+L=J basically feels like a fact at this point.

Yeah, why would Alfie start talking about incest right after? If GRRM told him who the parents were and they are R and L which isnt' incest, why mention it at all?

Oh no, not Ned, Brandon or Benjen + Lyanna = Jon Snow... :stillsick:

If GRRM told him who the parents were and they are R and L which isnt' incest, why mention it at all?

possible incest between jon and dany?

But the more i think about it and the tragic figure of Rhaegar, the more i think that it has to be Aerys. I think that Rhaegar was realy in love with Lyanna, but Aerys captured and raped her, forced Rhaegar to fight instead of explaining things to Eddard and making sure he wouldn't plot against him while he held Lyanna as a hostage. This would also explain why so many kings guards were guarding the tower of joy instead of the king, making Lyanna the only thing that ensured that Rhaegar wouldn't revolt against Aerys. So Rhaegar did the only thing he could, he let Robert defeat him in personal combat and thereby turn the tide of the battle and the war in the rebellions favour, because he couldn't save Lyanna, so he made sure that Robert would win and thereby rescue her.

You know, I asked him about who Jon Snow's real parents were, and he told me. I can't say who, but I can tell you that it involves a bit of a Luke Skywalker situation. It will all come to fruition eventually. The whole thing with all the fight over proper succession is partly inspired by the War of the Roses in the late 1400s, and back then, to ensure pedigree, the monarchies were kind of inbred. It's definitely fucked up, but it definitely happened back then, so that's why there's incest with the Targaryen line. It's toned down, though.

This implies a link between the two. Pretty weird change in topic? Rhaegar and Daenerys = Jon. It is known.

Well if R + L = J, then it will be a Darth Vader moment Jon grew up with people who fought against Targaryens, so growing up he probably heard the tale of Rhaegar kidnapping Lyanna so when he finds out that Rhaegar is his father I assume it will be it is not true moment.

possible incest between jon and dany?

But the more i think about it and the tragic figure of Rhaegar, the more i think that it has to be Aerys. I think that Rhaegar was realy in love with Lyanna, but Aerys captured and raped her, forced Rhaegar to fight instead of explaining things to Eddard and making sure he wouldn't plot against him while he held Lyanna as a hostage. This would also explain why so many kings guards were guarding the tower of joy instead of the king, making Lyanna the only thing that ensured that Rhaegar wouldn't revolt against Aerys. So Rhaegar did the only thing he could, he let Robert defeat him in personal combat and thereby turn the tide of the battle and the war in the rebellions favour, because he couldn't save Lyanna, so he made sure that Robert would win and thereby rescue her.

I like it, very tragic.

The possible hitch is that Jaime remembers talking to Rhaegar before he rode off for the Trident, and Rhaegar said that when he returned a council would be convened and changes would be made. Was he just lying to Jaime? Did he never intend to return? And plus it is said that Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend, so would Dayne have held Lyanna hostage at Aerys' command? Do that to his best friend?

And plus it is said that Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend, so would Dayne have held Lyanna hostage at Aerys' command? Do that to his best friend?

Dayne basically said at Brandon & Rickard's execution, that his vows to the kingsguard were paramount (when Jaime questioned it), so i'd say he would do what ever Aerys told him to

Dayne basically said at Brandon & Rickard's execution, that his vows to the kingsguard were paramount (when Jaime questioned it), so i'd say he would do what ever Aerys told him to

I think Dayne was already at the TOJ at that point. It was someone else who told Jaime not to do anything but I forget who atm.

Are you sure it was Dayne who said that? I didn't think he or Barristan were in KL when Rickard and Brandon were killed. I'm thinking maybe it was Darry? I can't remember his full name. I could be wrong, I don't have my copy ASOS to check at the moment unfortunately

EDIT: ARYa_Nym beat me to it, but I think it was Darry.

The possible hitch is that Jaime remembers talking to Rhaegar before he rode off for the Trident, and Rhaegar said that when he returned a council would be convened and changes would be made. Was he just lying to Jaime? Did he never intend to return? And plus it is said that Arthur Dayne was Rhaegar's best friend, so would Dayne have held Lyanna hostage at Aerys' command? Do that to his best friend?

Arthur Dayne was nothing but the perfect knight and therefore the perfect kings guard, if he would have let Aerys do that things to Brandon/Rickard Stark just not to betray his vows to the king, then he would also follow every other order of Aerys. It is also possible that Rhaegar didn't know that that Lyanna was with child by Aerys, he could have raped her after Rhaegar left.

However, i think this destroys my theory: During Robert's Rebellion, Ser Gerold stayed with two of his Kingsguard brothers at the Tower of Joy in the Red Mountains of Dorne, on the orders of Prince Rhaegar.

maybe Jon and Ageon har twins. seperated at birth. the one more targ looking going to the east. while the more stark looking child going north under Eddards protection

That would be interesting. But then Ned would know about it too. And he never had any dreams about it or was troubled about it like he was with Jon.

Are you sure it was Dayne who said that? I didn't think he or Barristan were in KL when Rickard and Brandon were killed. I'm thinking maybe it was Darry? I can't remember his full name. I could be wrong, I don't have my copy ASOS to check at the moment unfortunately

EDIT: ARYa_Nym beat me to it, but I think it was Darry.

I think Dayne was already at the TOJ at that point. It was someone else who told Jaime not to do anything but I forget who atm.

Sorry guys it was Gerold Hightower, bugger!, a bit of a mix-up there

Archived