Alfie Allen on Jon Snow's parents

EdThaSt0rm

I also find it really weird that Alfie is the only other person next to D&D that's been told.

Very weird, and I can't imagine GRRM will be happy with him dropping hints about it either. Alfie probably just got the rest of the cast plot-blocked from here on out :P

But the more i think about it and the tragic figure of Rhaegar, the more i think that it has to be Aerys. I think that Rhaegar was realy in love with Lyanna, but Aerys captured and raped her,

That's my first thought too after reading that excerpt. I don't think Rhaegar is evil enough to be in a "Darth Vader" type situation. Aerys as Jon's father would be horrifying though. It would mean King Batshit raped a young maiden and Jon was the product of a terrible act of violence. Rhaegar would have felt responsible for drawing his father's attention to her with the tourney wreath or he may have foolishly told his father about the PTWP prophecies and set these events into motion.

Other than Aerys, who else could be a horrifying Darth Vader of a Dad? Tywin would be disgusting but I can't envision him being a rapist. He might get mad seeing Rhaegar swooning over Lyanna in public when his own daughter Cersei was not good enough for the Prince. Tywin sure hates to be humiliated.

Gregor Clegane would be terrible option but I don't know if he was there. I've even thought of Robert. He was seen playing drinking games during the tourney but we have no account of what his reaction was to Rhaegar's rude act. Maybe he got so hammered he forced himself on Lyanna? But then Ned would have wanted revenge and there would be no need to lie about Jon.

Bah.....I think it's Aerys. He might have talked about the incest after the Luke comment as a way to explain why the rape occured. ( Because Aerys is unstable because he's an inbred fruitcake ).

If there were two babies born that day, I think Howlnad Reed has Jon's sibling. He's the only guy Ned would trust because he knows the whole truth already. Maybe that's why we haven't seen Howland in 16 years.

But maybe focusing on the evil of Darth Vader wasn't Alfie's main point. If you think about it from Jon's perspective, anyone who is not Ned will bring Jon nothing but grief an anguish by knowing this. Perhaps it's not about the father-object being the focus of the Luke comparison (and Luke is mentioned, not Darth), but rather not knowing your "identity" and then rejecting the "identity" of your real father and taking a different course. I don't think knowing he's Rhaegar's son will make him remotely happy, nor do I think he'd be enticed to take the power that comes from this.

ETA: David Selig's explanation is even better.

Rhaegar and Anakin/Darth Vader were both 'princes' of a tyrannical regime, but not the ones principally responsible for it being tyrannical.

And has anybody mentioned that Luke's mother died in childbirth? Definitely not the most well known part of the story but it's a potential similarity to R+L=J.

Alfie also says 'it all comes to fruition,' not that 'it will all be revealed eventually? What fruition is there is Ashara Dayne is Jon's mother? R+L=J offers the most potential 'fruition' in my mind.

As to the incest comments, it seems from the interview that Alfie wanted to address the presence of it in the series. He is talking about that, then he gets the 'what did you ask George?' question, which he answers, then eventually goes back to talking about incest.

Sure, Luke's mom dies in childbirth, but Lyanna as mother isn't being disputed by anyone.

Curious idea with the Aerys thing, I'd like it as an unexpected twist, but yeah, Alfie Allen is a great actor, but he also likes the Mary Jane, and being a great actor doesn't mean you'd score particularly high on a standardized test.

I always assumed Ned warged into Lyanna and fathered(mothered?) Jon Snow so it was the truth when he told Cat, then after she ran off with Rhegar he warged into Robert and started the Rebellion, and then before being decapitated he warged into Yoren and when he died Warged into uhhh Gendry! Yeah, so eventually he'll warg himself North til he reveals Jon's parentage to him when he wargs its Dolorous Edd and they finish the books off as the Dolorous Ned POV.

Also incest is a trait only shared by Targs and nobody else in Westeros, also all Targs are immune to fire, so Jon will become a fire immune wight who is controlled by Bran via warging.

I always assumed Ned warged into Lyanna and fathered(mothered?) Jon Snow so it was the truth when he told Cat, then after she ran off with Rhegar he warged into Robert and started the Rebellion, and then before being decapitated he warged into Yoren and when he died Warged into uhhh Gendry! Yeah, so eventually he'll warg himself North til he reveals Jon's parentage to him when he wargs its Dolorous Edd and they finish the books off as the Dolorous Ned POV.

Also incest is a trait only shared by Targs and nobody else in Westeros, also all Targs are immune to fire, so Jon will become a fire immune wight who is controlled by Bran via warging.

Not to nitpick, but if Ned impregnated Lyanna by warging into her (and if warging also enables you to hermaphroditically reproduce with your host) then Jon isn't a Targ, and thus does not fall into your "Targ fireproof wight" theory. ;)

How did the mods not catch this... i hated that scene.

I think, along with many people, that the PT was terrible, including that scene. GRRM would never write anything that bad. And we already know Lyanna had a fever, and probably died of childbearing complications (of which the fever was one?).

Archived