(Book Spoilers) The last scene for each episode of season 3?

StappyNappy

Some people don't know they are splitting Book 3 for two seasons, it seems. There is no way they will use both Red Wedding and Purple Wedding in S3.

Some people don't know how to make good television, apparently, because good television requires satisfying conclusions, which the Purple Wedding provides.

Some people don't know how to make good television, apparently, because good television requires satisfying conclusions, which the Purple Wedding provides.

And everyone else is an expert...say, what would they do in S4 if they have all "satisfying conclusions" in S3? Would that be "good television"?

I wouldn't even say the purple wedding would make a satisfying conclusion, Joffrey's death isn't even all that epic... It just, happens, a satisfying conclusion would either be dracarys, mother, or the small battle at castle black being won. Or the red wedding for the sheer number of deaths and the massive shock factor.

I never said that the PW should be the final scene, did I? I said it was a satisfying conclusion, because it is. It concludes the stories of half the main cast, and kills off the most hated character in the show.

The best final scene would be the revival of Catelyn. Season one ended in fire, and season two ended in ice zombies; ending season three with the birth of UnCat would almost be like combining the two, as she is literally a fire zombie.

I have to say, I imagine most readers arguing for PW in season four would have been very disappointed if ASOS had stopped just before it took place, and we had to wait another year for it to occur...

And everyone else is an expert...say, what would they do in S4 if they have all "satisfying conclusions" in S3? Would that be "good television"?

Well without satisfying conclusions in season three, no one will tune in for season four. :)

Regardless, there is FAR more material in King's Landing AFTER the Purple Wedding than there is before -- Jaime's return, Oberyn's arrival, Joffrey's funeral, Tommen's coronation, Tommen and Magaery's wedding, Tyrion's trial, Oberyn vs the Mountain, Jaime scenes with Cersei, Tywin, Brienne and Loras, Tyrion's escape, the murder of Tywin.

Prior to the PW, this is what happens in KL -- Sansa meets the QoT, Sansa plots her escape with Dontos (who isn't returning for s3, so these scenes will be gone), Sansa is forced to marry Tyrion, blacklash to the RW, and some scenes building up to the PW.

(Whoops! I did the last scene for each character in the season 3 finale. Oh well...)

In order:

Arya: We see the bodies floating in the river through Nymeria's eyes. She pushes over a body and sees a dead Catelyn. Arya wakes up, weeping and sees smoke billowing from the Twins in the distance. She throws Needle in the River and returns to the Hound.

Tyrion: Is woken and up and summoned to a meeting with his father, sister and the King. Joffrey is gloating about Robb's death, and threatens to harm Sansa. Tyrion snaps, and starts kicking the shit out of him (the audience will need this). Joff and Cersei leave, and Tywin tells Tyrion that the Red Viper is coming to King's Landing. Tyrion returns to his bedchamber, and hears crying from inside. We see Sansa weeping, while holding the purple headdress given to her by Ser Dontos.

Davos: Salhador Sahn tells Stannis of the Red Wedding (with all the gory details). Stannis is clearly troubled, but despite Davos' insistance, agrees to sacrifice Edric Storm.

Dany: Dany trades one of her dragons for all of the Unsullied of Apstapor. She then immediately sacks the city, takes back her dragons, and frees all of the slaves. The sigil of House Targaryen is raised above Astapor. As Dany rides through the streets, the freed slaves reach out to her, chanting. Misande translates their chants as "Mother".

Jon: Jon, having ridden through the night, collapses at the gate to Castle Black. He tells Maester Aemon that their are Wildlings south of the Wall. Jon manages to muster a defence of the castle, successfully throwing back the Thenn attack. Jon finds Ygritte dying in the snow. He says goodbye, and then buries her. The scene ends with Maester Aemon giving Jon command of the castle. Jon ascends to the top of the Wall, where he sees Mance Rayder's enormous host marching towards them.

Davos: Davos tells a furious Stannis that he has sent Edric into hiding. He then holds up a letter from the Night's Watch. Stannis reads the letter, his eyes growing larger. He turns to Melisandre, and orders the ships ready to launch. The episode ends with Stannis fleet departing Dragonstone, and sailing north.

I never said that the PW should be the final scene, did I? I said it was a satisfying conclusion, because it is. It concludes the stories of half the main cast, and kills off the most hated character in the show.

The best final scene would be the revival of Catelyn. Season one ended in fire, and season two ended in ice zombies; ending season three with the birth of UnCat would almost be like combining the two, as she is literally a fire zombie.

I have to say, I imagine most readers arguing for PW in season four would have been very disappointed if ASOS had stopped just before it took place, and we had to wait another year for it to occur...

Well without satisfying conclusions in season three, no one will tune in for season four. :)

Regardless, there is FAR more material in King's Landing AFTER the Purple Wedding than there is before -- Jaime's return, Oberyn's arrival, Joffrey's funeral, Tommen's coronation, Tommen and Magaery's wedding, Tyrion's trial, Oberyn vs the Mountain, Jaime scenes with Cersei, Tywin, Brienne and Loras, Tyrion's escape, the murder of Tywin.

Prior to the PW, this is what happens in KL -- Sansa meets the QoT, Sansa plots her escape with Dontos (who isn't returning for s3, so these scenes will be gone), Sansa is forced to marry Tyrion, blacklash to the RW, and some scenes building up to the PW.

Well I disagree about Uncat. She should be at the end of S4 imo. I feel it would diminish the effect of the RW, and make it seem like a bit of a cop out death.

Also how do you know their won't be any Dontos? I'd say it's very likely that he'll be reintroduced as a middleman between Sansa and LF (Which Sansa may, or may not be aware of.). Otherwise why introduce him at all?

Also how do you know their won't be any Dontos? I'd say it's very likely that he'll be reintroduced as a middleman between Sansa and LF (Which Sansa may, or may not be aware of.). Otherwise why introduce him at all?

A poster in the 'Minor Actors reprising roles' thread in the casting sub-forum confirmed it. They may be wrong, of course, but IIRC they were directly asking various actors' agents. It's disappointing if this is true, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

This thread covers much of the discussions mentioned here and more: http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67480-book-spoilers-grrms-s3-episode-autumn-storms/.

I will only add that showing Grey Wind's fate and his head sewn on Robb's body will be a cruel jape. I'd prefer hearing about it - all the other RW murders will be horrific enough to see on screen.

Moreover, in S2, didn't GW appear only once? It seems many of the direwolf scenes are discarded and rewritten to exclude them. Why include him just for gratuitous violence? They best show how many times GW alerts danger as Robb and company near and enter the Twins.

If HBO shows GW's bloody fate and head mounting, I will cover my eyes.

No need to bash my soft-heartedness for animals. I was raised on Disney, and he was famous for making children cry. I never recovered from Old Yeller.

BTW Even James Cameron cut the scene of Astor freeing the caged first class dogs as Titanic foundered - and they ran lost on the deck, finally jumping in the Atlantic to drown. [He did include it in deleted scenes, though). I am teasing by drawing this comparison.

I'm on the Purple Wedding in S3 camp, I'd use it to end the season

Red Wedding to end 3.8

Dracarys to end 3.7ish (we already had a Dracarys moment near the end of Season 2, it's not a season-ending moment anymore)

EDIT: On second thought, in order to shuffle stuff around to fit in Joff choking in S3, the Dracarys moment would be closer to the end of the season.

I was joking with my friend the other day about HBO's love for Ros, and trying to come up with ways for her to be written into season 3.

I think we may be onto something:

Epi 1: Ros becomes a spy for Cersei. They make out.

Epi 2: Tyrion marries Ros. She exposes her breasts. Shae cries.

Epi 3: Jaimie's hand. Ros cares for him with her nakedness.

Epi 4: Ros visits Davos in jail. Her dress falls off.

Epi 5: Ros has lesbian sex with Osha in front of Littlefinger...just because

Epi 6: Ros exposes herself to Craster and Mormont. They die from shock.

Epi 7: Harrenhal bathhouse scene with Jaime, Brienne and Ros. Ros and Brienne have sex while Jaime watches.

Epi 8: Ros attends the Red Wedding as the entertainment. Does a striptease.

Epi 9: Jaime rescues Brienne from the bear pit. Ros is the bear, and both her and Brienne are naked. Also, it is now a mud fight.

Epi 10: Ros kills Joffrey, takes the throne and demands that all ladies in Westeros be topless. Littlefinger approves.

A poster in the 'Minor Actors reprising roles' thread in the casting sub-forum confirmed it. They may be wrong, of course, but IIRC they were directly asking various actors' agents. It's disappointing if this is true, but I can't say I'm too surprised.

That's a shame if true. It also raises the question of why on earth they wasted time on introducing him only to never pick him up again. And people wonder why I doubt D+D's skills.

That's a shame if true. It also raises the question of why on earth they wasted time on introducing him only to never pick him up again. And people wonder why I doubt D+D's skills.

Not even George Lucas would be so incompetent that he introduced a character never to use him again. I very much doubt D&D introduced him while planning to never use him again. Probably the actor couldn't fit GoT into his schedule, maybe D&D was unimpressed by has acting talent and plan to recast him, maybe he died, I don't know, but I doubt they're that stupid.

• 2 months later...

My thoughts:

• Sam meeting up with surviving Black Brothers and them trudging off through the woods.
  • Jaime loses his hand.
  • Davos imprisoned.
  • Sam the Slayer
  • Beric vs the Hound
  • Dracarys
  • 3 leeches
  • Sam and Gilly attacked by Wights
  • Red Wedding
  • Mysha

I think I heard that Robb will be in all 10 episodes of season 3. Don't quote me on it because I heard of it on like a clevvernews thing on youtube, but if taht is the case then they'll either have RW in episode 10 (which I doubt because Robb is the good guy and that's 2/3 through ASoS) or they'll hold it off to season 4. Also is the Tyrion-Sansa marriage meant to be episode 8...so I've heard.

Archived