Prometheus [SPOILERS]

Harrad

I assumed the giant width of the thing made running to the side an even less appealing idea than running the length of it?

Yeah but the way it comes down, you'd think theyd have a better chance running to the side. I see people do this is movies and in real life all the time, Well not in real life ALL the time, I've sen it once or twice. I wonder why we do that.

Harrad,

How many posts are you going to make about how much you didn't like/understand this movie? Almost half of the discussion here is you saying the same thing over and over agin with different variations of insults. We get your point.

I personally liked the movie more than a whole lot. It dealt in issues that are rarely discussed in cinema, and did so in a way that allowed freedom to the imagination. I also think that the characters in this movie were every bit as deep as those Ridley Scot introduced in Alien. I particularly liked exploring the faith of Shaw as both a scientist and a theist.

If this is the same alien that was found with his chest burst in Alien, then why isn't he in the control area of his ship, rather than the floor of the Prometheus?

It's not the same alien, it's not the same ship and it's not the same planet. It may not even be the same star system.

If you look at the map at the beginning it's in the same system as lv 426

How so? LV-426 is not shown on the map and the gas giant is a different colour. That's easily retconned, but given the amount of nerd detail present in the film (such as Lindelof putting in the correct date for Alien, which only really hardcore fans of the franchise will be aware of) they could have simply made the planet the same colour as Alien's to match. Plus it doesn't make any sense that the Company would have colonised LV-426 and ignored all the other moons around the same planet or even the same system. LV-223 would be a hell of a lot easier to terraform to start with. And yeah, they went to LV-426 because they knew the space jockey ship was there, but they also know that something was on LV-223 from the events of Prometheus (and it's not made clear if Prometheus ever communicates with Earth after reaching the planet; I'd assume they would, but maybe their tech wasn't up to it).

As I said earlier, it could be a planet in the neighbouring system (the other part of the binary) but anything closer is problematic.

letting Rapace get away and giving rise to the Alien Queen (on the wrong planet, which I suspect will just be retconned).

I don't think that was the Alien Queen or an analogue. The Queen in Ripley in Alien 3 looked noticeably different to a standard alien even whilst it was gestating (the head crest seems to form very early on). It's probably a standard grunt, although going by the originally deleted scene from Alien even they can reproduce if necessary.

I'm assuming that the alien on LV-223 is either going to simply die off, and it was shown at the end of the film for simple shock value, or that in either Prometheus 2 or 3 the Company sends a follow-up mission to investigate the missing Prometheus and encounters this creature.

I dont think you know what i know what direct prequel means. As I said its not a direct prequel. All it has are many overlapping things that relate them. A direct prequel could mean:

*** the action from the end of one goes directly into the action of the next...FOTR into TTT for example***

Fellowship of the Ring is not a prequel to The Two Towers, though. A prequel has to be made later but set before an earlier film/book/computer game/whatever.

On the map at the very beginning, when theyre giving the why the fuck are we here speech, you can see the system they're going to is called Zeta Reticuli-2. Now, why the colors are differnt, thats probaly just a fuck up.

That wasnt the alien queen, for one the alien queen never had teeth, plus its head shape is all wrong. It's supposed to be an anecestor to the aliens they would later come across. Why that is is left open for sequels to answer.

The movie has its share of flaws, but some compaints Ive seen just seem to be a basic lack of being able to comprehend somrthing that isn't loud rock music and slow mo action scenes. Peoples atention spans these days...

Grack,

I liked the movie. I simply thought it had plotholes a mile wide that I suspect were indications of stuff cut to shorten the film. I also couldn't figure out why they didn't run perpendicular to the axis the ship was rolling on. That just seems like common sense to me. I hope Scott gives us a director's cut on par with the director's cut of "Kingdom of Heaven".

Harrad,

How many posts are you going to make about how much you didn't like/understand this movie?

As many as required. Since the movie was full of crap, its hard to detail all of it in a finite number. Since you seem to be someone who, like the "faith" seekers in this farce, can discount 200 years of evidence and theory of life's origin, its clear why you object.

Recommended reading: "Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin, published in 1859

I haven't seen the movie yet but based on the comments so far...

Geez, you'd think Scott would have wanted to, I don't know, pay a bit more attention to his first movie sent in this universe before directing this one.

There's a difference between ambiguous storytelling and sloppy storytelling and it seems there's much more of the latter than the former in this movie. It seems that so much that has been done in this movie that wouldn't make sense unless being deemed a retcon could have been done to match up with the original movie without much effort besides paying a little bit closer attention to the source material.

I suppose my opinion has been compromised to ever be completely objective on this movie but when I do watch it, and I do still plan to watch it, I will try to be as fair as I can be regarding the movie as a whole, but I think I will now be extra aware of noticing discrepancies between this movie and Alien and non-sensical decisions by the characters.

On the map at the very beginning, when theyre giving the why the fuck are we here speech, you can see the system they're going to is called Zeta Reticuli-2.

Checking images online (and obviously we don't have detailed screencaps yet) and going by memory, it appears that 'LV-223' is the sole word on the starmap. 'Zeta Reticuli-2' does not appear to my knowledge.

However, I did find an interview with Scott where he says it is Zeta Reticuli-2, which in the absence of other data does confirm it is not only the same system but the same neighbourhood. This does introduce yet further plotholes the size of moons to the situation, however.

That wasnt the alien queen, for one the alien queen never had teeth, plus its head shape is all wrong. It's supposed to be an anecestor to the aliens they would later come across. Why that is is left open for sequels to answer.

It's clearly a variant of the 'proper' xenos (possibly just different because it came from an Engineer rather than a human...although the Alien 3 xeno came from a dog and looked much closer to the standard human xenos than this one did, despite dog/human genetic structure differing much more greatly than human/Engineer). How this tracks with what appears to be the standard xenos already existing on the murals inside the alien pyramid remains very unclear.

The movie has its share of flaws, but some compaints Ive seen just seem to be a basic lack of being able to comprehend somrthing that isn't loud rock music and slow mo action scenes. Peoples atention spans these days...

Yeah, but no-one in the thread has been making those complaints you've been talking about. We've been talking about the massive and considerable plot holes in the film itself.

I'd think that reason it looked different was because of how different the engineers looked. Sure we were a 100% match, but they still looked different. So, the alien would look different.

Of course, I could just be making an excuse for it. As I said, I thought it was a great movie.

And I'm of the thought that, most if not all of the questions you guys are asking, will be answered in the sequel/sequels. So I'm not angry we didn't get all the answers. Gotta leave stuff for the next movie.

Wert,

If the enginner DNA is identical to human why would the Xenos produced by them be different?

It very well could've been down to the nature of the 'bodyhugger' that implanted it.

Wert,

If the enginner DNA is identical to human why would the Xenos produced by them be different?

Essentially as above, the facehugger analogue being different (and to be frank, the squidhugger actually seems to be a much more fearsome killing machine on its own terms than the alien, which is weird).

One suggestion I've seen is that the Engineers encountered the xenos on another planet and created a bioweapon based on their life cycle, but which is not as efficient. This explains the whole weirdness of the worms, the squid thing and the proto-xeno. It's not a very efficient lifecycle compared to the facehugger-xeno situation, and this may be down to the Engineers botching it. It's still deadly, just a bit more convoluted. The ship on LV-426 might be a result of the Engineers perfecting the weapon, or simply saying sod it and using a batch of the original aliens themselves.

Harrad,

How many posts are you going to make about how much you didn't like/understand this movie? Almost half of the discussion here is you saying the same thing over and over agin with different variations of insults. We get your point.

I personally liked the movie more than a whole lot. It dealt in issues that are rarely discussed in cinema, and did so in a way that allowed freedom to the imagination. I also think that the characters in this movie were every bit as deep as those Ridley Scot introduced in Alien. I particularly liked exploring the faith of Shaw as both a scientist and a theist.

How many posts does it take to get to 700?

There are some that take being critical of entertainment to a level I don't understand. Here is another example. http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/67976-book-spoilers-which-is-a-white-walker/

I liked the movie despite what I felt were flaws. I'll get the 3D blu ray when it comes out (already pre-ordered at amazon.com). I don't mind wannabe critics. It is when they approach the, "their's is the only right way to regard a movie or TV show", and pontificate that they "know" what it is all about while the rest of us are in error, I write them off as unimportant. I don't care if I'm wrong in liking it.

My theory is that based on Prometheus, it was not intended as a bioweapon. It was intended as a way to get closer to God or become more godlike. Here's the basic premise.

-In Prometheus we see murals of the Alien. And they weren't horrific things or anything like that; they were the center piece of the mural, in the same way that the giant was the centerpiece of the human murals. This would be a totally bizarre thing to have for us as far as a weapon goes; this would be akin to having beautiful pictures of atomic blasts in the nuclear weapons manufacturing plants.

The weapons aren't really particularly weaponized. They leak easily when near breath. They do not appear to be in an aerosol form, and while they can be spread by water it takes a lot longer with less predictable results.

And none of that makes sense as far as humans being planted on Earth.

Instead, what if humans were meant to be a type of lab rat? The engineers wanted to create something that would re-engineer everything in another image - that of the xenomorph (which appears to be what this eventually turns people into). And they didn't do so because they wanted to kill - any spacefaring culture has far more ability to wipe out all life on a planet than a water-based bioweapon that turns things into facefuckers. They did it because like Ash, they believed that this was the next form of evolution or some perfect design. Now, compared to the LV-426 alien they're not quite perfect and they have an odd lifecycle, but again, we can explain this with the subject matter.

We saw the worms when touched with the black stuff turn into much bigger cobra things with no limbs. We saw the fetus/sperm turn into a monstrofetus, massively bigger than its size. On humans it doesn't appear to do that - it turns them into superstrong ninjas.

So...we've got something that turns the hosts into superstrong ninjas like the Engineers, and turns every other life form into something that attempts to facefuck them with the end result being producing a xenomorph. To me that sounds like some kind of breeding program to produce really really awesome xenomorphs. Think about how much insanely bigger the Alien was that came out of the Engineer was - what if he was infected with the goo, and that's what happens when you have a human that is infected produce an Alien?

Now, what about the LV-426 ones? That's simple - the facehugger is clearly the product of Goo with something else. Like a tick or a spider, perhaps. The xenos being smaller can be explained either by facehuggers being smaller or by them not coming from an infected human.

And all of this was the Engineer's goals - to produce this new race of xenos. That's what they wanted all along.

Interesting.

In this interview, Scott suggests that the ship that landed on LV-426 departed the base seen in Prometheus on its way 'somwhere else' to what the guys back at the base were up to (so presumably they were not going to Earth). He indicates it crashed on LV-426 within a couple of centuries of the base going FUBAR, so about 2,200-odd years before the events of Alien. Which really confirms that the trilogy has nothing to do with Alien at all (i.e., contrary to what some other interviews have said, P3 won't end with the ship from Alien crashing on LV-426).

Archived