Why does Yoren take Arya?

braulio09

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I hadn't read GOT in awhile and started to believe Ned and Jamie really had that awesome duel because of HBO.

Wait, they didn't? :eek:

In all fairness, I've certainly dived headfirst into this fandom. The first three books and first two seasons, all within five months... :drunk:

• 3 weeks later...

Previous posters have hit the nail on the head, Benjen is Yoren's brother and by extension, so is Ned.

The whole neutral thing is where it gets complicated, but is taking a girl home really choosing sides or just doing the right thing?

• 2 months later...

1st off he did not break his vows. Arya is just as valuable as Sansa for when needing to ransom otherwise they would not be still looking for her and hoping no one figures out they(Lannisters) lost her before they can recapture her. Yoren was defending himself and the watch on both occasions when he stated to the Gold Cloaks(who were after Gendry not Arya) and to Ser Amory that he has no part in the war and just going to the wall. He was attacked 1st and defended himself. I believe Arya asked him why he took her out of King's Landing and he mentioned that the Starks have always been good to the Men of the Night's Watch and Benjen was like a brother to him. I forget the rest of his explanation. if you read the vows they do not take sides in the wars and will hav to re-read the exact vows, but they do not take sides but it does not mean they cannot defend themselves.

Same reason he informed Eddard about Catelyn capturing Tyrion I guess, due to his friendship with Benjen.

I think the TV show handled this better.

Yoren was Benjen's brother ever since they joined the Night's Watch: it made Benjen's brother Yoren's brother too, so he helped Arya because of Ned. Same reason why Sam helps Bran on the show (Jon was Sam's brother and that makes Bran his brother too).

It's one of those little things about being sworn brothers: the Night's Watch can't get involved in family feuds, but their men do become the extended family for the relatives of those who joined.

Archived