Missandei

Lady Hodor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I like Missandei. It seems that there may be a little more to her than Dany's other female attendants.

The things she hears during the night is puzzling...scratching, screaming, etc....yet when she mentions, no one else has heard and they just blow it off.

There has to be something more to that. Had it just happened once, fine. But, three times with the same character. Not a coincidence, IMO.

If she does do it, it would be on the orders of the Faceless Men, who can order her to kill anyone. The FM also have reason to want Dany dead because they hate dragons and Valyrians.

As against that, she frees slaves, which the Faceless Men would strongly approve of.

I'm really haunted by Daenery's line to Missandei "Don't ever betray me" (or something like that). I think Dany will kill her or let her die.

I think her fate will be tragic.

IMHO, Daenerys views her almost as a younger sister. I doubt if Missandei would ever deliberately betray her, but she might be tricked or coerced into doing so, or Daenerys might be duped into believing that Missandei had betrayed her. Killing Missandei would be the most agonising moment of Dany's life.

People on here love throwing the Faceless Men into everything. I think the theory of her betraying Dany is a far more provocative and likely one. We know she has a brother serving among Dany's Unsullied. She loves him very much, would she be willing to hurt Dany for her brother's safety? I'm not sure what the answer is, but I would not be surprised to have GRRM show us. Dany loves to count her betrayals, and is still waiting on one for love.

What I find interesting, besides Missandei's obvious huge talent, is that they are training that kind of intelectual slaves from such very early age...are they common? how many of them are around? Just think what level could Missandei reach if she manages to live long enough...The essosi equivalent of Leonardo Da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, Michellangelo. Kepler, Shakespeare, Cervantes, Galen, ...etc., could be slaves.

I like the Arya taking Missandei's face to get to Dany theory...but why did they hire a much older actress to play Missandei in the show then? :/

hmm, by the time the winds of winter roll in, Maisie Williams will be 18+. Also, faceless men, not sure how thry will choose to make it happen, but I don't think age is a problem.

It would however fit the TV producer goal of whitewashing the most controversial actions of the "heroes"

Am rereading ASOS and when Missandei says valar morghulis to Dany, i immediately wondered if people who speak High Valyrian frequently use that phrase or if it is meant as a clue regarding her character. Interesting that she and Arya have already been connected in the discussion. . . could M be a faceless man?

The more I think about it, the more I think Missandei could be a Faceless Man. Arya was shocked to realize that the waif was much older than she looked. Missandei could have had her development arrested in the same way, and still be a "child" to learn languages in Qarth. Alternatively, "Missandei" could have studied her languages elsewhere and taken the place of the real scribe to get close to Dany. She could be not acting because Dany is doing quite well undermining herself and surrounding herself with people intending to kill her.

• 2 years later...

What I find interesting, besides Missandei's obvious huge talent, is that they are training that kind of intelectual slaves from such very early age...are they common? how many of them are around? Just think what level could Missandei reach if she manages to live long enough...The essosi equivalent of Leonardo Da Vinci, Galileo Galilei, Michellangelo. Kepler, Shakespeare, Cervantes, Galen, ...etc., could be slaves.

Missandei is a child prodigy, and even the Slavers must have spotted her brilliance. If she lived long enough, I think she would stand comparison with any of them (but Martin will probably have her die horribly).

Take it back! :whip:

Yeah well, Martin enjoys tormenting his readers. Creating this adorable surrogate younger sister for Dany, and then killing her off would be gut punch for both Dany and the readership.

It depends on what GRRM used as an inspiration for slaves in Essos. So far in Essos we have slaves with various duties: prostitutes, priests, guards, cleaners,weavers, musicians, e.t.c..Missandei's owners apparently noticed her abilities and ensured that she would cultivate her talents so that they could benefit. In ancient Rome, there were educated slaves, whose knowledge was used to further assist their masters. Marcus Tullius Tiro was Cicero's slave and his duties involved secretarial tasks and managing his masters financial affairs. Missandei seems to belong in the same category as Tiro. Nevertheless I wouldn't go as far as to claim that slaves in Essos could achieve fame equal to Da Vinci, mostly because all their deeds would be attributed to their masters.

Yeah well, Martin enjoys tormenting his readers. Creating this adorable surrogate younger sister for Dany, and then killing her off would be gut punch for both Dany and the readership.

Viserys abused her, Jorah betrayed her, Drogo died, Barristan and Daario will almost certainly die, I'd like to see at least one of her people remain loyal, and survive. You're probably right though. :(

Archived