The Bear & the Maiden fair

Capon Breath

Regarding the 'rapey' imagery: I think it is purposefully meant to be ambiguous, and one can definitely interpret it as though the maiden is er....enjoying it. ;) But I can see the non-consensual side of it too. :stillsick:

Personally, I don't think it refers to any one specific person or 'pairing', but is rather a bawdy song that can apply to various characters throughout: Dany, Jorah (or any of the Mormonts), Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, the Hound, or any seeming- 'monster' etc. The song may apply directly to some of them, but I think its more of a general theme (a dirtier beauty and the beast if you will :leer: ) that runs through the series.

Edited to say:

This song is about Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark.

:rofl:

This song is about Robert Baratheon and Eddard Stark.

Nedbert lives. No one will ever convince me it is not true.

Regarding the 'rapey' imagery: I think it is purposefully meant to be ambiguous, and one can definitely interpret it as though the maiden is er....enjoying it. ;) But I can see the non-consensual side of it too. :stillsick:

Personally, I don't think it refers to any one specific person or 'pairing', but is rather a bawdy song that can apply to various characters throughout: Dany, Jorah (or any of the Mormonts), Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, the Hound, or any seeming- 'monster' etc. The song may apply directly to some of them, but I think its more of a general theme (a dirtier beauty and the beast if you will :leer: ) that runs through the series.

Edited to say:

:rofl:

This is also pretty much my interpretation.

If the song is a reference to anyone I think it has to be Jorah, since he's the only living Mormont male, and they're the only ones with a bear sigil. And he keeps falling in love with blond women.

Though I don't think the song is necessarily going to mean anything, or that it would be Jorah and Dany if it did (could just be Lynesse).

I would be super happy if GRRM did some sort of gender reversal with the song and like...Alysanne Mormont marries a blond knight, or something. :cool4:

If the song is a reference to anyone I think it has to be Jorah, since he's the only living Mormont male, and they're the only ones with a bear sigil.

I'm sorry to nitpick, but Alysane Mormont has a son, so Jorah isn't the only living Mormont male.

That song is basically omnipresent throughout the series.

On the surface it's just a bawdy folk tune about a girl that meets a bear.

You go a bit deeper and you realize it's about cunnilingus.

You read through the series and you start noticing loads of 'Maidens' paired with 'bears'

To start with the most obvious:

Dany and Jorah,

Brienne and the bear at Harrenhall,

Tordmund and his she-bear (perhaps she was a maiden?),

Mormont women and bears,

Jorah and his ex,

Sansa and the Hound.

Really, it's interesting that her head is never mentioned... makes you wonder where exactly that hair is :P

Certainly not on her head :o :D

Anyway, I don't know if you guys heard this version of A Bear And The Maiden Fair, I think this is the best adaptation so far.

Check it out! :)

Archived