The Bear & the Maiden fair

Capon Breath

When whole song is related to one chapter as the one of Sansa, and it is song so many times, even at the Red Wedding. And it is the only whole song that we have at the books, then I believe that is something more than just a cunnilingus song (as pleasant as it could be :devil: ).

No.., or yes.. Sneak.... :)

See with the eyes,In our case,is : See with reader's eyes, of course ( : reader's eyes for little delicious details as this: (and GRRM is full of delicious details, is for that I enjoy so much his novel!)

-Remember this scene at the beginning of the Game of Thrones?For me was remarkable. (I felt the writer was saying something to me (at reader), but I understood that it was, not until Sandor and Sansa smash together):

Septa Mordane sniffed in disapproval. “A noble lady does not feed dogs at her table,” she said, breaking off another piece of comb and letting the honey drip down onto her bread.

“She’s not a dog, she’s a direwolf,” Sansa pointed out as Lady (in the future the Hound take her place) licked her fingers with a rough tongue.”

The Bear & the Maiden fair: “But he licked the honey,from her hair”

:)...

Wow! Bravo! I never noticed that. Yet another Sansa/Hound/Lady connection. :)

"The bear smelled the scent" A quién les recuerda? :cool4:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

snapback.png-Sansa-, on 30 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

See with the eyes,In our case,is : See with reader's eyes, of course ( : reader's eyes for little delicious details as this: (and GRRM is full of delicious details, is for that I enjoy so much his novel!)

-Remember this scene at the beginning of the Game of Thrones?For me was remarkable. (I felt the writer was saying something to me (at reader), but I understood that it was, not until Sandor and Sansa smash together):

Septa Mordane sniffed in disapproval. “A noble lady does not feed dogs at her table,” she said, breaking off another piece of comb and letting the honey drip down onto her bread.

“She’s not a dog, she’s a direwolf,” Sansa pointed out as Lady (in the future the Hound take her place) licked her fingers with a rough tongue.”

Wow! Bravo! I never noticed that. Yet another Sansa/Hound/Lady connection. :)

And the book continue:"

The septa was not appeased. "You're a good girl, Sansa, but I do vow, when it comes to that creature you're as willful as your sister Arya."

The text seems to suggest that in the future Sansa will defies the rules and beliefs of society, making public the kind of relationship that she have with Sandor (sweet as honey). :wub:

"She sang: My bear so fair,"

"And off they went,"

"The bear! The bear!"

"And the maiden fair!" :D :P :cheers: :agree:

Posted Today, 06:33 PM

snapback.pngPetitOiseau, on 31 October 2012 - 07:46 PM, said:

Posted 31 October 2012 - 01:46 PM

snapback.png-Sansa-, on 30 October 2012 - 04:20 PM, said:

And the book continue:"

The septa was not appeased. "You're a good girl, Sansa, but I do vow, when it comes to that creature you're as willful as your sister Arya."

The text seems to suggest that in the future Sansa will defies the rules and beliefs of society, making public the kind of relationship that she have with Sandor (sweet as honey). :wub:

"And off they went,"

"The bear! The bear!"

"And the maiden fair!" :D :P :cheers: :agree:

I think Bgona is right, and Sansa also has a great point when she reminds us of those words Septa Mordane said to Sansa Stark, when she is displeased because Sansa is feeding her hairy beast Lady (honey, and not any other thing, by the way) under the table, which is something a proper little lady shouldn't do, according to the septa.

If you have a look at this other quote, in which Robert says something very similar about another "beast", also considered unworthy to be fed at a king's table,you'll see it can't be a coincidence, IMHO, of course.

And dismissing Selmy, where was the sense in that? Yes, the man was old, but the name of Barristan the Bold still has meaning in the realm. He lent honor to any man he served. Can anyone say the same of the Hound? You feed your dog bones under the table, you do not seat him beside you on the high bench.

Robert says Sandor Clegane should be fed under the table, like a dog, but he isn't a dog and neither is Lady. He seems to be Lady's replacement, in a way, and it was Robert himself who suggested this :

Get her a dog, she will be happier for it.

Well, The Bear and the Maiden Fair might be just a smutty song, but I doubt it. Martin is clever as hell, and he attaches meanings to nearly everything. When you put all these hints together, they seem to have a meaning apart from the most literal one. The song itself has a double meaning, but it seems to hide even another meaning, a third one, and who knows, perhaps even a fourth ( I hope not, that would be too much for me.) :)

I think Bgona is right, and Sansa also has a great point when she reminds us of those words Septa Mordane said to Sansa Stark, when she is displeased because Sansa is feeding her hairy beast Lady (honey, and not any other thing, by the way) under the table, which is something a proper little lady shouldn't do, according to the septa.

Well, The Bear and the Maiden Fair might be just a smutty song, but I doubt it. Martin is clever as hell, and he attaches meanings to nearly everything. When you put all these hints together, they seem to have a meaning apart from the most literal one. The song itself has a double meaning, but it seems to hide even another meaning, a third one, and who knows, perhaps even a fourth ( I hope not, that would be too much for me.) :)

I love that it was honey Sansa was feeding Lady under the table ;)

Just a brief note on the topic of songs. This is one very minor area that I don't think GRRM has got quite right. I can't be specific, but somehow his folk song words just don't quite ring true, unlike his history, mythology, geography, politics, religions, heraldry, cooking, and almost everything else in his imaginary universe.

Does no one else see the rape imagery in this wretched song? It's like the creepy "Baby It's Cod outside"-so damnably singable and yet once you read the lyrics... :ack:

no. I see nature in all its glory. it's seduction by hormones and viva la difference!

Really? I got a very different interpretation. It seemed she tried but really has no romantic or sexual feelings towards him and I don't think she'll change her mind on that either. He doesn't seem to be her type at all and he may genuinely love her, but Jorah did spy on her. That doesn't mean that I don't feel for him, as I do. He's a very broken man in Dance and I can't see any other ending for him than tragic. But, I don't want the two of them to be together.

I got the same impression. Dany has no sexual or romantic attraction to Jorah what so ever. She makes that very clear in her thoughts once she realizes Jorah is in love with her.

I love that it was honey Sansa was feeding Lady under the table ;)

The septa is eating the honey. Sansa is feeding Lady bacon.

“I’ve never seen an aurochs,” Sansa said, feeding a piece of bacon to Lady under the table. The direwolf took it from her hand, as delicate as a queen.

In that scene the author highlights the honey, and in a special way (he plays with the words in a subtle way):

"Septa Mordane sniffed in disapproval. “A noble lady does not feed dogs at her table,” she said, breaking off another piece of comb and letting the honey drip down onto her bread.

(and then this sentences):

“She’s not a dog, she’s a direwolf,” Sansa pointed out as Lady licked her fingers with a rough tongue. “Anyway, Father said we could keep them with us if we want.”

Also, and I had not realized because i don´t speaking english..(in spanish bread translate as pan -very diferent of the word oso=bear.

But , in english is different,...

GRRM makes a pun with BREAD / BEAR. Look the result:

...Letting the honey drip down onto her bear

“She’s not a dog, she’s a direwolf,” Sansa pointed out as Lady licked her fingers with a rough tongue.

...Letting the honey drip down onto her bear

“She’s not a dog, she’s a direwolf,” (GRRM plays with the identity of the creature) Sansa pointed out as Lady licked her fingers with a rough tongue.Anyway, Father said we could keep them with us if we want.”

And the song again "“But he licked the honey,from her hair”

"And off they went,"

"The bear! The bear!"

"And the maiden fair!"

Archived