Tullys: balancing issue

I think that the Tullys are the easiest faction to win. If you manage to win the siege of Riverrun in the second turn, thus killing Jaime's and Tywin's army you are done, let me explain:

1. Sign an allience with Renly and Tyrells
  2. Conquer the rebel cities nearby
  3. Let your allies destroy the Lannisters and help a little bit (take Crag or something insignificant)
  4. Take all your forces east, all your commanders, everything.
  5. Step by step beat the shit out of the Vale.

• this is because: The riverlands have 2 great castles that can produce the most advanced units (Riverrun, Harrenhal)
  • the nearby towns can be easily conquerd and heavily taxed. (stoney sept, Maidenpool and another near the twins.)
  • Tyrells and Renly arent backstaby.
  • Tully have some of the best units (riveralnd nobles, riverland archers etc)
  • Every time you conquer a Vale castle you can move all of your forces exept 1 unit for basic garrinson, with good public order (about 120%) and start producing high tech units from there.
  • Arryns stand no chance if you gather all your forces.\
  • The Lannisters are not a threat if you pull out the near impossible second round battle. If you win it then in the other 50-60 rounds the lannisters are done.
  • Tyrells will easily destroy the Lannisters.
  • The Starks wont trouble us.

so there you have it. A TW victory in an afternoon. It is not theoritical, i have done it. All you have to do is win the siege of Riverrun vs supirior in numbers and tech Lannister forces

IMO Tulleys led by the AI do incredibly poorly since they have two very powerful Lannister stacks that take Riverun on the first turn. Also, Tyrell AI actually seems to end up in a stalemate with Lannister and at most takes a few southern settlements. So I'd say that their starting position isn't that good considering that they're bordering two hostile and very powerful factions. Potentially you could lose Harrenhal and Riverun in the first few turns to the Joffrey/Lannister armies. IMO Tyrell has the best starting position since they have a huge starting army, lots of rebel territories that they can take and Lannister is busy with the Riverlands.

I didnt say that the Tullys are the most powerful faction. It is logical and in lore that Tyrells be more powerful.

I just said that IF you beat the siege of Rivverun (meaning both Jaime and Tywin armies destroyed) which is quite difficult and then you ally with Tyrell you are done. Eating the remaining Lanns with the Reach is easy, and Joffrey will not attack because Stannis serves as a buff zone. Then just move everything east and step by step kill the Vale.

So one faction which is supposed to be screwed can with a single victory be one of the most powerful and with chance of victory.

THAT is the balancing issue.

PS: I love having TW discussions in a rather irrelevant forum :)

I can only speak for myself since I've only just started playing a few days ago (as the Starks, might play Greyjoy/Martell in future), but the Tullys died off very, very quickly on mine. Almost as quickly as the Arryn's declared war on me. I had to make peace with all the other houses just to focus on bloody Lysa!

The released version of the mod is essentially a demo from an incomplete version of the game another team were working on. The final version will be somewhat different (and far better). I understand that AI has been improved (using another mod) and some of the issues regarding the starting positions of factions and armies have been addressed.

• 1 month later...

Started a Tully game a few days ago. Battle of Riverrun was fun, although Gregor Clegane kept running away from the battle. Took 4 games for me to get the coward.

I can't wait for the end product considering how good this demo is tbh :)

• 5 months later...

Tullys are super easy,

Malister will take the twins in one turn,

stony sept, fairmarket are both unguarded and can be captured easily,

give a bit of money to renly tyrell and aryns and you have three powerful alies,

get all the neerby man into riverrun with BF coming for back up anf you will smash the lanister host at the walls, from then it is easy sailing al the way to the rock, on VH/VH I had defeated lanister jofery an diron born on turn 18!

• 2 months later...

On the "very hard" option the Tullies are the most difficult fraction, far worse than Stannis. They start in war with Lannisters and Joffrey, with Arryns waiting to join. They have a token army, very little money and two large Lannister forces on their territory. In the first turn Lannisters attack both Riverrun and Pinkmaiden, the only option is to evacuate forces from Riverrun and concentrate on destroying the Clegane's force and attacking the King's Landing... only to loot it and have some money to muster some defenders in Harrenhall. Why there? In 3rd turn Tullies are attacked by the Arryns and it's very, very hard to defend Harrenhall having no money and all available siegeing in King's Landing. In order to even get a chance of striking back and having a bit of fun while playing Tullies, one must have luck two times: in battleing Joffrey to loot the King's Landing (what is really hard due to the very strong defender forces in the Capital, with reinforcements waiting in Rosby and Duskendale) and makeing obstacles for the Aryn force. If you lose Harrenhall to Arryns before sacking the King's Landing you'll be stranded without a big castle untill you take Dragonstone, with Riverlands undefended, free for Lannisters and Arryns to conquer.

• 1 month later...

Archived