What's your opinion on the audiobook? Worth listening to or just read the book?

apav

Hi guys,

Season 1 of the HBO show got me into the series. I read ACoK before Season 2 came out and now I have just finished ASoS and am about to go into AFfC.

This time, however I am curious to try the audiobook version. I never have listened to an audiobook before, so it might be a little uncomfortable for me since I'm used to rereading pages to make sure I didn't miss anything. But I do want to give it a whirl.

Another thing that concerns me is, having watched the seasons, I picture the voices and actions of the scene being done by the actors in the show. For instance, when Tyrion is doing something I picture Peter Dinklage acting the scenes out and his voice as the dialogue. That is how I picture it for every single character I recognize.

So for the people that have tried the audiobooks: how does a narrator's voice interfere with the picture and voices you are thinking in your head while reading? Can you actually think the scene out (like you can while reading- painting the scene in your head) with someone narrating it for you?

Silly thread, I know, but I am just curious if getting the audiobook is worth it for me, and if it takes away that mysthical sense of picturing it in your head.

I listened to all the books after seeing season 1 on HBO and I loved them. There were some voices that didn't match up with the show, specifically Dotrice's Hodor voice is way different than the actor from the show. Overall though, I didn't see this as much of a distraction and I was really able to enjoy the audiobooks.

I have listened to all 5 of the books in the song of ice and fire and I have some good and bad things to say about the narration.

first of all... I LOVE listening to audio books. It is a fantastic way to spend my 45 min commute each day.

Roy Dotrice is the narrator and at first he seems very gruff and harsh. His english accent is jarring and different then the accents I gave the characters in my head.

that being said, after the first half of GoT I was used to his gruffness and actually started enjoying his characters.

Then... the voices began to change.

It wasn't noticible in the first 3 books but by the time AFFC came out Mr. Dotrice apparently forgot the accents he used in previous books. Sansa's character voice completely changed as did Littlefinger. In fact littlefinger goes from sounding like a sly fox to sounding like a slobbery fat old man. AND he went from pronouncing Petyr as Pietar to Peter. Which was also very distracting. Ive just started listening to ADWD and he has done it again. This time to Dany. She went from sounding like a girl (the best roy dotrice can make of a girl voice) to sounding like an old scottish hag. UGH!! Makes me mad.

But still I listen, still I spend $50 a pop on each book. Because when it comes right down to it, I'd rather listen to the books than only read them. And even though the narrator should be fined for his inconsistancies its still awesome.

It wasn't noticible in the first 3 books but by the time AFFC came out Mr. Dotrice apparently forgot the accents he used in previous books. Sansa's character voice completely changed as did Littlefinger. In fact littlefinger goes from sounding like a sly fox to sounding like a slobbery fat old man. AND he went from pronouncing Petyr as Pietar to Peter. Which was also very distracting. Ive just started listening to ADWD and he has done it again. This time to Dany. She went from sounding like a girl (the best roy dotrice can make of a girl voice) to sounding like an old scottish hag. UGH!! Makes me mad.

But still I listen, still I spend $50 a pop on each book. Because when it comes right down to it, I'd rather listen to the books than only read them. And even though the narrator should be fined for his inconsistancies its still awesome.

This is true though in defense of Roy he did not originally do Feast, John Lee did it when it came out. They brought him back 7 years later for Dance and had him record Feast then as well. I imagine this gap is why there are so many inconsistencies.

Very interesting to hear Commoner say he found the English accent initially offputting. As an irish person, i have read all the books in my head in a mixture of regional English/Scottish/Welsh/Irish accents and would be distraugh to hear any of them voiced in an American accent , probably for no good reason other than that i am European. Would be like Harry Potter set in Brooklyn!- Sky Atlantic is hard to get here so perhaps i have an unpleasant surprise ahead of me...

• 9 months later...

Mr. Dotrice apparently forgot the accents he used in previous books. Sansa's character voice completely changed as did Littlefinger. In fact littlefinger goes from sounding like a sly fox to sounding like a slobbery fat old man. AND he went from pronouncing Petyr as Pietar to Peter. Which was also very distracting. UGH!! Makes me mad.

Thank you, I completely agree! I adored Mr. Dotrice's efforts in the first three books, he is easily the greatest narrator I have ever heard and managed the multitude of characters with suave aplomb. But wtf happened with book 4? Jamie sounds like Tyrian. Littlefinger sounds like Robert Baratheon. Anya sounds like Brienne. It is hopelessly distracting and supremely disappointing.

My husband and I love to listen to audio books. We especially like British accents. We have all of the audio of Song of Ice and Fire. While I give much appreciation to Mr Dotrice in the earlier books. I am sad that the series has gone so many years. Mr. Dotrice has given the female characters the worst voices. I hate what he has done with Danny in ADWD.

The other issue I have is that these characters are young in the books however when you listen to Mr Dotrice you end up with many old slobbery men character voices. We loved him in the first books but he is aging and its very distracting now. I am concerned about what TWOW will sound like. I actually preferred John Lee's audio. The audio books are worth the money and I love them but it is disappointing to have these young characters inthe book read by Mr. Dotrice as if they are in their fifties.

I would buy them all over again..they are really worth the money..especially for my husband who drives over one hour each way to work. He loves listening to them.

I have read the books several times and listened through the audiobooks a few. I think they are great if you have already read the book. I think Roy Doltrice does a very good job and adds interesting inflections and interpretations to the text. Sometimes the voices chop around a bit....but overall I think Roy does a stellar job.

• 5 weeks later...

Silly thread, I know, but I am just curious if getting the audiobook is worth it for me, and if it takes away that mysthical sense of picturing it in your head.

Not at all. I absolutely loved listening to the audiobooks. That's how I have "read" all the books so far. I sometimes have a copy of the ebook with me while listening to the audiobooks so that I can look up anything that I may have missed while listening to the audiobook. I initially didn't feel like Roy Dotrice's voice was suitable, maybe because of his accent and/or age. Took me a few chapters to get used to, but now I love listening to his voice!

• 3 weeks later...

Wait there's a version of AFFC with Roy Dotrice???? The one I have is with John Lee. I love Roy Dotrice, but some of his voice characterization for ADWD is awful. Lee is adequate, but it's sometimes hard to know who is talking. Nothing beats early Dotrice, however.

• 11 months later...

I listened to the first 3, then read AFFC because I was borrowing the AB's from library and AFFC was checked out. Then I listened to ADWD. I have mixed feelings on the AB's- I found Dotrice at times harsh and loud and some of his voices didn't have much difference to them. Another thing was it was hard to back track on my CD player to replay bits when I wanted to. And AffC was quite different from the first three.

However, if you can borrow them from the library I'd encourage you to check them out to see how you like them. But if you want to catch the little details ad nuances, the books are a must.

Archived