Twists that got you again on a re-read

Seasick Drake

• 3 weeks later...

Blackwoods and Brackens. The first go around I really didn't think too much about these two warring families but they are important. Bittersteel's mother is a Bracken and Bloodraven aka the Three Eyed Crows mother was a Blackwood. They feud much like their families have for ages. I didn't pick up on this at all. Plus you have the large Weirwood at Raventree hall where all of the Ravens roost is interesting as Bloodraven apparently wargs through them

It's not really a twist, but I was surprised when I reread the beginning of the great ranging when they're at Craster's for the first time. LC Mormont told Craster that his family could come back to the Wall with them and shelter there because of the rising threat of wights. In the fifth book when Jon's talking to his useless advisors, they claim Mormont wouldn't have allowed the wildlings over the wall and Jon says he doesn't know what Mormont would have done... but he'd already offered shelter to Craster and his wives, meaning that Mormont was thinking along the same lines Jon was. Though Mormont probably wasn't thinking of letting anyone through as Jon was, I thought it was pretty cool that Mormont and Jon were both in the same mindset. It also grants legitimacy to Jon's efforts to treat with the wildlings.

wow good find!!!!!

Biggest revelation: On my 2nd reading of AFFC, I have become convinced that "the novice" that Brienne sees on The Quiet Isle is the man formerly known as The Hound. I think he has been kind of "reborn."

It's true that The Elder Brother says, "The Hound died there, in my arms." However, The Elder Brother also talks of his own death when Brienne asks him about his change from an unchivalrous knight to a holy man. Consider also that The Elder Brother tells Brienne many details about Sandor's sins and motivations and regrets, "... He served, but found no pride in service. He fought, but took no joy in victory. He drank, to drown his pain in a sea of wine. He did not love, nor was he loved himself. It was hate that drove him. Though he committed many sins, he never sought forgiveness...." (I won't quote the whole thing -- it's long.) It seems clear that Sandor confessed everything to The Elder Brother.

Then, of course, Brienne notices that The Novice is lame, is larger than her, and has his face hidden. And they have his horse. As a nice little touch, Dog approaches him as he is digging the grave, and he drops his spade to scratch Dog's ear.

That's my case and I'm sticking to it. Or, maybe it was obvious to everyone else anyways.

Frey pies. I swear I would never ever have realised them if I hadn't come to Westeros.org!

Also, the first time I read AGOT I was conviced that Maester Luwin was evil - don't ask me why I tought this! I was always expecting him doing something wicked, but he always was such a good guy!

I think it might have something related to the way GRRM has first described him in the book, he seemed so... grey, with his large sleeves and his squirrel face.

Nowadays, I love Maester Luwin, and I really can't believe I thought so vile of him haha :D

All of the evidence leading up to Roose's betrayal of Robb gets me on a reread. I can't believe I missed all of it. Of course, once Jaime meets up with Roose it's fairly clear, but there is so much pointing to it before that. I thought Ramsay was a rouge, and I never picked up on his "Leave the Freys and kill all the rest!" at Winterfell or its significance.

its not rly a twist but a joke ... Whene Cat asks how is Aryas needle work going septa mordane explains that arya has hands of a blacksmith

a page later Arya runs away from the needle work with Sansa and princess Marcella and before she runs out of room septa mordane asks where is she going

aryas replay is : " im going to nail a horseshoe"

Varys and his description of the comet and a foreshadowing of Aegon's return. Being that we now know that Varys and Illyrio mean to put "Aegon" Targaryen, who's house words are fire and blood on the throne.

"In the streets, they call it the Red Messenger.', Varys said. They say it comes as a harold before a king, to warn of fire and blood to follow." During the first read, I thought it made sense being that Renly, Robb, Stannis and Joffrey are all warring as kings. After ADWD, it takes on a whole new meaning.

Hi There, this is not a twists per say but in re-reading Jon's POV in COK, totally shocked me. Ghost isn't mute ! See ( COK,pg,765)

Ghost is mute. This totally got me on my reread though too. My friend pointed out that Ghost is having a vision/dream of his own. Jon and Ghost are in the Frostfangs, but Ghost sees himself as in a Forest with his bothers and sister, just separated. However when the Bran/weirwood touches him to open his third eye he wakes/comes back to reality.

"...But first you have to open your eyes. See? Like this. And the tree reached down and touched him.

And suddenly he was back in the mountains, his paws sunk deep in a drift of snow..."

This is my first post by the way... I just think Ghost's silence is significant in some way so I had to chime in. I definitely thought it was real the first time too and was thrown, but look again I'm fairly certain it is only in a dream or vision that Ghost howls.

Ghost is mute. This totally got me on my reread though too. My friend pointed out that Ghost is having a vision/dream of his own. Jon and Ghost are in the Frostfangs, but Ghost sees himself as in a Forest with his bothers and sister, just separated. However when the Bran/weirwood touches him to open his third eye he wakes/comes back to reality.

"...But first you have to open your eyes. See? Like this. And the tree reached down and touched him.

And suddenly he was back in the mountains, his paws sunk deep in a drift of snow..."

This is my first post by the way... I just think Ghost's silence is significant in some way so I had to chime in. I definitely thought it was real the first time too and was thrown, but look again I'm fairly certain it is only in a dream or vision that Ghost howls.

Thank you commoner, i reread it and i saw the parallel. It still tripped my up, it was like some inception trip...lol. Ghost in a dream,within a dream :dunno:

I also noticed something in the Catelyn chapter where Bronn fights Ser Vardis. Catelyn is wondering about why would the Lannisters kill Lord Jon Arryn and shortly thereafter Maester Coleman comes up to her in his cups and tells her how Robert Arryn was to be fostered at Dragonstone not Casterly Rock. We don't find out until Feast that Lysa was actually responsible for killing Jon Arryn but Martin actually spells it out for us in a way that is not obvious. The clues are there but nothing is pointed to. Really good writing.

I'm confused though... After my first reading of the whole series, I believed that Robert Arryn was supposed to be fostered at Dragonstone with Stannis, and everyone knew that, and Lysa had just lied to Catelyn and said that he was supposed to be fostered at Casterly Rock with Tywin (not sure why she lied, I guess to make her other lies more believable/cause more strife between Stark and Lannister, whatever) but then I was re-reading AGOT, and when Robert (Baratheon) and Ned are in the crypts right in the beginning, Robert tells Ned that Robert Arryn is supposed to go to Casterly Rock with the Lannisters. At that point I think Ned even suggests Stannis, but Robert is set on sending the kid to Tywin. Why did he think that also?

Or was it that Robert & the Lannisters believed he was going to Casterly Rock, but Lysa was secretly planning to give him to Stannis instead? I hope the way I phrased this whole thing makes sense.

Archived