Twists that got you again on a re-read

Seasick Drake

• 3 weeks later...

This was Varys in his disguise as Rugen, the jailor. Varys has more disguises than Shagga has axes.

And Shagga had bunch of axes. I recently 're-read' Jaime and many things about his trip to the Riverlands had me questioning his lineage, motivations, and ultimate end. The conversation with Genna and Blackfish showed Jaime's strengths and weaknesses, not to be out shined by the dream about his mother, fantastic read, once again.

• 2 months later...

I completely forgot, and I still did not even realize it until Theon's last chapter, that Abel and the girls in Winterfell were Mance and the spear wives sent down by Jon. Sheds so much more light on that whole plotline and the possible writers of the Bastard Letter.

I love this thread. My big surprise while rereading was how much I must have zoned out in the mereen and the iron islands story lines. All these chapters about characters I didn't know, I guess I just wanted to get back to the story lines I was invested in. Slowly doing a third reread and I'm only just getting my head around all of it. The first two reads I thought yunkai and astapor were the same place, and all the swellswords company's names and captains didn't really mean anything to me. The whole poison locusts thing being described as it happened first time round surprised me, especially how much hizdar recommends them to dany. The fact that asha was hatching a plan involving theon after hearing about the kingsmoot that was overturned because the heir wasn't present. All the euron stuff I must have just skipped pages. I spose there not twists but things I missed and things I think will be important in the next books.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed loads.

Re-reading aSoS now, and LC Mormont has just explained to Sam how wildlings are part of the realm of men and need to be protected from the Others.

Arya and Bran chapters are pure joy to re-read.

Renly is one of the most entertaining characters in his interactions with Joffrey.

The RW is signposted miles away in hindsight.

Frey-pie.

My biggest miss: Daemon II Targaryen, aka the Fiddler, is gay. How could I not see that?!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I am new to the site so I am sure this has been discussed but I couldn't find anything and search wasn't working. I am re-reading ADWD and I was blown away with Illyrio. I never caught that the clothes he had for Tyrion were meant for a child and they had a musty smell. And his wife Serra had blonde hair streaked with gold. This IMO is huge. It could disprove a character I had high hopes for the first time i read the book.

The Reek/Ramsey thing really threw me off first time round. One thing that I completely didn't catch on to was the scenes in the HoTU. The RW was shown in one of the doors. First time I read it I totally didn't piece that together but knew right away this time round. There's so much to pick up on second time around! I'm currently on book 3 again, read the RW chapters a few days ago. Those Frey turncloak b*st*rds!

I've started a reread and indeed, I must have missed the red wedding foreshadowing in the HotU. Even though it is a very clear reference. I don't know but at least two of the doors seemed to have shown a glimpse of what will happen. And there are other visions of course. Any thread on this exact chapter?

I've started a reread and indeed, I must have missed the red wedding foreshadowing in the HotU. Even though it is a very clear reference. I don't know but at least two of the doors seemed to have shown a glimpse of what will happen. And there are other visions of course. Any thread on this exact chapter?

A cloth dragon symbolizing Aegon's false identity.

• 2 weeks later...

I'M LOVING THIS THREAD!!!

Just reading these 10 pages have inspired me to do a complete series re-read from the beginning. When I started reading the books (literally the next day after the finale of Season 1) I read the first four back to back, and fairly quickly. I then took a year break and re-read SoS and FFC before my first reading of ADwD. So basically, I have only read GoT and CoK one time each, and that was back in 2011. I can't wait to get started!

Was there anything that you got surprised about/had forgotten about on a second read through? For me, I had completely forgotten that *spoilers* the first "Reek" we see is really Ramsay Bolton.

Oh yes, same thing here!

I had been wondering what had happened to Ramsay as characters kept remarking he had died - when I read the series for the first time, Ramsay was one of a million of characters and I didn't know whether he was important enough to keep track of, so I just accepted he'd died and I somehow couldn't remember when he turned up again. But on my reread I knew Ramsay would turn out a major character, so I was much more alert to any reference to him. And now - big surprise - so THAT's how he survived!!! *goggle eyes (And, in typical Ramsay fashion, he casually talks about his less than savoury sexual habits before hitting Theon - who amply deserves it, of course.). oh YUCK. Ramsay is such a total bag of utter awfulness. :ack: I wonder what will get him in the end.

What I also realized on my reread is how much tension there is between Littlefinger and Varys. On my first read I somehow had the impression that they were buddies, really. Varys remains very enigmatic, though. I was surprised how horribly Jaime behaves when Cat visits him in his dungeon, I wonder why. Fed up with sitting in the dark with nothing but rotted straw and a privy bucket for company, I guess.

A cloth dragon symbolizing Aegon's false identity.

I got the Red Wedding, but this eluded me. (as well as the whole false identity thing - shame. Shame. SHAME. *ring bell, get hit by rotten fruit)

Did anybody get what the corrupted blue heart over he table of the undying is? Does it symbolize that society as we know it is dying because the dragons and magic are back and because Dany is going to start the big revolution, or what?

• 2 months later...

I got the Red Wedding, but this eluded me. (as well as the whole false identity thing - shame. Shame. SHAME. *ring bell, get hit by rotten fruit)
Did anybody get what the corrupted blue heart over he table of the undying is? Does it symbolize that society as we know it is dying because the dragons and magic are back and because Dany is going to start the big revolution, or what?

Im not sure but I did relate it to the 'heart of winter' being corrupted.

I read it back and forth a few times -- they take great pains to discuss what the other guy is wearing. And it says his face is scarred, and he has stubble, and a steel cap (like the Unsullied).
Now, I recognize, Varys has shown he can change appearance, so I think it certainly could be him. Is this something that has been discussed a definite elsewhere?
Plus Arya makes note of the fact he seems familiar somehow, but that could mean anything really.

One of Varys' disguises that most surprises Tyrion the most is of a grizzled soldier that sounds like the description here.  Varys is obviously multiple people around the Keep, we know about the gaoler, he's probably a guardsman or two as well.

I missed loads when I first read the books, mainly because I was just reading so fast as to find out what happened. But one of the main things that jumped out at me on my second read were when Meera and Jojen tell Bran the story of the Knight of the Laughing Tree and how obviously it is Lyanna. Totally missed that the first time round. Lots of other things I just plain forgot about; The Hooded man of Winterfell, Jaime going to Raventree, many many other little things that seemed to hold more attention for me when I re-read.

• 4 months later...

I am now re-reading A Game of Thrones, and am at the Bran chapter, where he started getting them raven dreams, asking him to try to fly, and when he first succeeded, he saw ALL the things that would happen in all the subsequent books! Check AGOT pg 162-163. I punched my leg sooo hard when i read all the foreshadowing! I mean, no writer would give away the plot so early on, and i am sure all of us here did skim through and did not give them that much thought.

Anyway, bravo GRR Martin. You mock us, LOL!

I just reread that. Awesome. I really like that Bran decides to name his wolf Summer because he just saw winter was coming.

• 1 month later...

Although it may not be a "twist" as the OP asked butI wanted to hear some people's opinions in the first of Dany's visions in the House of the Undying. I'll admit on my frist read through I didn't fully appreciate this scene but now that I've read it again I noticed a small detail.

'Further on she came upon a feast of corpses. Savagely slaughtered, the feasters lay strewn across overturned chaird and hacked trestle tables, asprawl in pools of congealing blood. Some had lost limbs, even heads. Several hands clutched bloody cups, wooden spoons, roast fowl, heels of bread. In a throne above them sat a dead man with the head of a wolf. He wore an iron crown and held a leg of lamb in one hand as a king might hold a sceptre, and his eyes followed Dany with mute appeal.'

Ok, so no prizes for guessing this is referring to the Red Wedding and the final insult to Robb although I must admit I missed the wolf/Robb Stark reference on my first read through. Now I may be reading a bit much into this but a small thought ocurred to me. Why the leg of lamb? Is there a reason for this little detail? I mean why didn't he just hold a sceptre? Is it indicative of him not being adequately prepared (as Ned was) to play the game of thrones? Is it to portend that he will be a lamb to the slaughter? I think we can all agree that Robb was a rubbish politician although in his defence what age is he in a Clash of Kings? 18? Alternatively he ould just be enjoying the lamb at that moment and when I get to a Storm of Swords I'll look out to see if he's holding a leg of lamb just before he is killed!

As I said maybe I'm looking for things that aren't there  but I would be interested to hear if anyone has a thought?

Archived