Rome II: Total War

Werthead

Creative Assembly are headed back to ancient Rome for their next turn-based/realtime battle extravaganza. Full details in a couple of weeks, but I think the addition of naval combat alone will be a huge improvement to the game. Hopefully the AI will be good out of the box this time (Shogun 2 definitely has some improvements in that area).

Shogun 2 was kind of bland and weak. It seemed like they were gearing it for competitive online play as opposed to their grand campaign (which is what I buy TW games for)... Not that it was etrrible, just not very interesting.

As far as I'm concerned Rome: Total War was CA's magnum opus and still easily the best game in the series (followed closely by Medieval II). I really hope they diverge fromw here they went with shogun 2 and go back tot heir roots. All I want from a Rome II are some of the new features (naval battles etc) and updated graphics.

Good, still haven't bought Shogun 2. Blue Samurai vs Red Samurai vs Yellow Samurai vs Black Samurai, etc etc. They wouldn't even put Korea in, incase Sega cried.

I hope they make ramming good, I want to Ram me some Galleys.

I hope they increase the modability back to Medieval 2.

Medieval II modded with Stainless Steel still is and will always be my go-to Total War game.

I really hope they move the campaign back to the old model of everything being easy and straightforward to build in one single city in a province and not all over the place. Extra things in a province is fine and great and dandy, but only if they really are extra things.

Napolean is stand-alone. It's okay, but its a resource hog and can be buggy. It's also a little on the dull side and the AI varies between useless and really, really useless. It's only real challenge is the length. I found it on the whole to be a bit dissappointing.

I also found the same with shogun 2, an the multi-player had too many desync errors for me to really get into. I expect Rome 2 is going to much the same, with added DLC units.

In the last hour I've purchased both an AlienWare Laptop, and (at my friends' request) Medieval II: Total War.

If I am positively impacted by this game, there's no reason I won't continue on to buy Rome II.

I generally don't worry about modding in games like this. I just get all nerdy and try and beat it at every level of difficulty and playing as every nation. I certainly get my money's worth that way.

I will be into this for sure.

I'll be waiting for Rome 2: Total Realism. But still great news!

Mods bring out the best in the engines and gameplay.

I think a Total Realism mod will be possible. But modding on the Warscape engine is severely limited compared to what was possible for Rome and Medieval II (which is why both games still have thriving, active modding scenes six years after the latter came out). Unit stats can be teaked, but the strategy map cannot be changed or altered, so the larger map of the likes of Europa Barborum will not be possible. I think you can alter map borders and region stats, but reskinning and bringing in new models is much more difficult than before.

It's possible CA will open up Rome 2 to more modding than before, but I would not put money on it.

Should be cool. Hope they make it as moddable as the old titles like Rome and M2, but I know they won't.

As for Napoleon versus/Empire, I prefer Napoleon. Empire is great for the epic entire world experience, but felt too broad and shallow. All of continental France is only...2 cities? Taking down one of the great powers of the world basically meant marching into a couple of cities, it could be done in a handfull of turns. It didn't feel satisfying and it didn't feel realistic. Napoelon also seems to run faster for me, especially when waiting for the AI to take turns. I have a decent rig but hated waiting through Empire's turn times.

The focus on just the European theater makes it much more detailed. However, you definitely need to check out some mods that make more nations playable, in vanilla you only have 5 options. The combat, AI, recuitment/replenishment system is far superior in Napoelon. The battles feel so much better, I found myself putting more importance on atillery placement and the use of reserve troops than I ever needed to in Empire. Empire's biggest advantage is probably the potential for more replay value through interesting campaigns- the larger world and a more fractures Europe means more nations to play and more outcomes to experience.

Oh, and the detailed map of Napoleon that changes through the seasons is absolutely gorgeous.

Archived