Brienne chapters....snoozefest

AegonTargaryen

same.. but the Brienne pov's made so much sense to me on re-read. It's that she's travelling through the aftermath of a warzone. So, the first time through, I was reading for events and plotlines (and walkers and dragons, and 'stuff that matters').. but esp with the Meribald chapts, her pov's more subtext than text. All the tragedy you have to infer from what she's walking in and around. Plus..., the sigil on her shield.

• 3 months later...

Brienne has the second most chapters after Cersei. During my first reading, her POVs really bore me to death and worst, the death is slow not quick so it's sort of a torture. Whenever I see her chapter coming, I close my eyes and say, "not again," wanting to skip her chapters entirely. Anyway, I endured and I was so proud of myself (though I read her chapters as quick as I could). I reread all the books but skipped AFFC. My conscience bugged me for no reason however so I ended up reading it one day. Guess what? I liked it. Nothing much happened in it particularly in Brienne's but the writing, imo, is superb. I specifically loved Septon Meribald's speech and I admire the author's ability to write such meaningful words that capture me emotionally. I missed the point the first time but I'm glad I did the reread.

• 2 weeks later...

I also found Brienne chapters to be wearisomely boring. Only Bran chapters rivaled them in terms of how uninteresting POV chapters get. I really wish that some of these chapter spaces could have been given to characters like Jaime or Cersei.

I did enjoy her last POV chapter in the book though.

To be fair, Jaime's one chapter in ADwD is more meandering and punishing by far than even the earliest 'let's all walk in circles in the middle of nowhere' moments the Brienne chapters are disposed to. The Jaime chapters get weaker in the series as soon as he gets sent by Cersei to Riverrun to 'do her dirty laundry'. If I'd been Martin, and wanted to cut back on space given to Brienne, I'd have thrown some Theon chapters in. It's enough that he goes missing for the entirety of book three.

• 3 weeks later...

Jamie was right. The wynch is dumb as a box of rocks! Sansa only had 2 options for safe hiding (if you don't count Winterfell) and Jon Snow is on the bloody wall. That only leaves The Vale. Sansa is not free city material. Arya is more of a survivor than Sansa, and Arya is 2-3 years younger.

I found most of Brienne's chapters a bit boring. Waay too much travel, and not enough actual progression.

Yes, they showed another side of the overall plot, but I felt like it didn't add enough to the story to keep it interesting.

The last chapters were great, though.

I respectfully disagree. Brienne is awesome and her chapters are very eventful, especially towards the end of AFFC.

Plus, she meets some interesting characters.

The only problem I see with her POVs is chapter skipping.

Otherwise it should be fairly obvious she has met Sam's father, summarily executed several cells of Bloody Mummers, found The Hound, follow Arya's footsteps and connect the dots to Gendry's lineage, all before she kills Rorge, without a second reading.

I agree. The first few are pretty much padded, but they have contextual importance. I've said it once and I'll say it again - The Arya chapters in this book, though there are fewer of them, are far more of a chore. The Dornish chapters are very variable in the quality of writing.Most of the Greyjoy chapters are a bit boring, except for Victarion's, who is always fun to laugh at. Cersei's and Jamie's chapters are the novel, but Brienne's are very good.

they're not that uninteresting for me, there is just far too much description and no real ending to each chapter...

Since said description is the only way to figure out Brienne is traveling the same path as Arya Stark rather than Sansa's, I'd say its a pretty important detail to miss.

Her mission was to find one sister, so description its the only way to make it obvious for the readers that Brienne was only going to find out what happened to the other.

Archived