Gotta wonder, why didn't Robbert Baratheon just shut up and put a cussion on the damn throne

Max Shelley

not trying to sound condacending but it seems like everyone who sat on that uncomfortable throne at least in 'Game of Thrones' complained that it was uncomfortable, is there an actual reason someone didn't think to put a cussion on the damn thing, I mean it was hunderds of years from when Aegon had it made, sure he believed that it should be uncomfortable but why didn't anyone else put a cussion on it afterwards.

LoL. Nice observation, but I think the kings thought that a cushion would make them appear pleasure-loving and luxurious. This was obviously not the case with a guy like Robert, but then again I doubt he really spent much time on the Iron Throne anyway.

I don't recall which book says it, but somewhere in the series is a line "A king should never sit easy." A comfortable throne would be counterproductive.

it was in Game of Thrones, and I believe it was ned quoting Aegon Targaryan, but even with that said it doesn't explain why none of the other kings didn't put a cussion on it, especialy robbert as he did not think that way

Historically the chair was especially cruel to "bad" rulers. For example, it's mentioned that Aerys very often hurt and cut himself on the chair, whereas other "better" kings did not. Putting a cushion on the chair is like admitting you're not a great king.

Also for obvious reasons it isn't very "kingly" to put a cushion on the throne.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haha I think it all the time someone complains about the throne. It is probably because it's more poetic this way, with all the metaphors involved. :cool4:

That.

I think "being uncomfortable" never really referred to the material the throne is made of ... that would be like the dumbest and most obvious thing in all the book-series :P

Nah I think everyone knows exactly what riscs are chained to the king's position in Westeros.

The only part in which someone really complains is when Eddard sits the throne with his wounded leg - poor Edd ;(

• 5 weeks later...

From the wiki:

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Iron_Throne

"In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the Iron Throne is reportedly uncomfortable to sit upon due to the blades that radiate out from it, occasionally cutting the incumbent. The moral lesson Aegon intended for his heirs was that no ruler should ever sit upon the throne carelessly, just as they must not rule carelessly.

King Aerys II Targaryen's increasing insanity over the years led him to absent-mindedly sit upon the throne with his full weight, frequently cutting and injuring himself. Ultimately he cut and scraped himself so much upon the Iron Throne that his personal enemies derisively referred to him as "King Scab", besides of his more common epithet, "the Mad King". This was seen by some as a sign of his unworthiness to rule."

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Robert really sat that much on the throne .....he was out whoring and hunting and drinking.....wasn't very kingly....while he was out running a muck ....his idiot wife was making a mess of things and ultimately cost him his life....

• 2 weeks later...

When Jaime sat on the Iron Throne after killing Aerys Targaryen, he got pretty comfortable. Kept it warm and cosy for whoever was ready to take it from there. Might've been the only time someone has sat on the Iron Throne without complaining about sharp points.

Do you think they should have made the Iron Throne child-proof:

For when Joffrey took it over? He's only a boy, and could end up cutting himself quite badly on all those sharp edges. Not that we wouldn't enjoy seeing him bleed.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think Robert really sat that much on the throne .....he was out whoring and hunting and drinking.....wasn't very kingly....while he was out running a muck ....his idiot wife was making a mess of things and ultimately cost him his life....

Seems like Jon Arryn takes care of everything (not sure if he ever complained that the throne is annoyingly uncomfortable), while the king is out somewhere enjoying a bachelor-like life.

Robert should have made a different throne that is more comfortable. But I doubt a different throne or cushioned IT will changed him. He is not made to sit on a chair and listen to the qualms of so many people from all over the 7 kingdoms. He is probably a great commander in the battlefield but not a king to rule a kingdom (imho).

• 3 weeks later...

Archived