April's What Are You Reading Thread

Bran's Muffin

I'm reading "The Da Vinci Code" and ZOMG! Best book ever!

... Yeah April Fools...

Na, Da Vinci Code is second best. Number one, of course, is Crossroads of Twilight.

Well it's good but her writing is pretty clumsy. I hate author intrusion, and she seems to think it's justifiable every couple pages. But I haven't finished it yet so maybe it picks up.

Just started "The First Man in Rome." The writing isn't great, but it's certainly pretty interesting.

I read that many years ago and I certainly enjoyed it then. Would be nice to hear what you think by the end.

Well it's good but her writing is pretty clumsy. I hate author intrusion, and she seems to think it's justifiable every couple pages. But I haven't finished it yet so maybe it picks up.

Yeah...I just don't agree with that...but please stick with it! It is really a very good book and series.

I got The Grass Crown by Colleen McCullough which I plan to Read after Emperor: The Field of Swords by Conn Iggulden. I've never read The First Man in Rome, but The Grass Crown was suggested to me to read, so I'm wondering if it's wise to read The First Man in Rome first, or does it matter?

I got The Grass Crown by Colleen McCullough which I plan to Read after Emperor: The Field of Swords by Conn Iggulden. I've never read The First Man in Rome, but The Grass Crown was suggested to me to read, so I'm wondering if it's wise to read The First Man in Rome first, or does it matter?

1. The First Man in Rome is the first in the Masters of Rome series, of which The Grass Crown is Book 2. I'd read First Man first, though you could probably hack through okay.

2. Just try to avoid anything by Conn Iggulden. How the man ever got anything published is beyond me. It's all very very bad that Rome series of his...

I know it's not supposed to be good, but I'm kinda' in a Harry Turtledove phase right now and have decided to start his Scepter of Mercy series he wrote as Dan Chernenko.

Don't know that series by Turtledove, but I enjoy his three trilogies that sprang out of How Few Remain, even though they aren't the greatest.

I say if it makes you feel good, do it. :P

I just finished Heir of Autumn Giles Carwyn and Todd Fahnestock. Also read Heavy Time and Hellburner by CJ Cherryh. Any other Cherryh fans on this board? Just started Dying of the Light by none other than the Man himself. :)

Also read Heavy Time and Hellburner by CJ Cherryh. Any other Cherryh fans on this board?

Yep, me. I don't like her new "Hammerfall" stuff though and have lost interest in the "Foreigner" series somewhere around volume 3, though I might still pick it up again at some point.

i don't usually read more than one thing at once, but i guess when one is a 1500 page economic treatise, you have to break it up a little.

anyways, im in the middle of Man Economy and State, by Murray Rothbard, and Jack Vance-Tales of the Dying Earth. Next up is Flashman on the Marcg.

Opinions of Heir of Autumn?

It's pretty good, particularly for a first novel.

I don't like her new "Hammerfall" stuff though and have lost interest in the "Foreigner" series somewhere around volume 3, though I might still pick it up again at some point.

Yeah, I agree with you on Hammerfall; I didn't care much for it. But I still read the "Foreigner" series. Maybe because it's my favorite series and I think it's still worth reading. You have some catching up to do though. It's up to eighth book by now.

Archived