Instances where a different POV indicates a lie

Sigrid

I recently finished Game of Thrones and am so excited to find a forum to discuss it! So to my first post...

There are at least two instances in GoT where the reader gets different versions of the truth depending on the point of view.

1.) The Dagger: In a Catelyn POV chapter, Littlefinger tells Catelyn that he lost the dagger to Tyrion when Tyrion bet against Jaimie. During the tourney in a Sansa POV chapter, Littlefinger bets on Jamie and loses to Renly's bet on the Hound. Renly says it was too bad Tyrion wasn't there because he could have won double (inferring that Tyrion would have bet on Jamie). Finally in a Tyrion POV chapter he tells Catelyn he never bets against his family. As the reader we are not sure who to trust, but that little piece of conflicting info in the Sansa chapter tells us something is not quite right with LIttlefinger's version of events.

2.) The fostering of Robin Arryn: This is another instance where we hear different information depending on who we are talking to. Catelyn is told Robin was to be fostered at Castlerly Rock, but we hear from both the maester at the Eyrie and Walder Frey that Robin was to be fostered at Dragonstone. Why the different information?

I really appreciate these little details that keep us wondering what the truth is. It shows off an interesting feature of the POV format. Does anyone know of any other of these instances in GoT?

I recently finished Game of Thrones and am so excited to find a forum to discuss it! So to my first post...

There are at least two instances in GoT where the reader gets different versions of the truth depending on the point of view.

1.) The Dagger: In a Catelyn POV chapter, Littlefinger tells Catelyn that he lost the dagger to Tyrion when Tyrion bet against Jaimie. During the tourney in a Sansa POV chapter, Littlefinger bets on Jamie and loses to Renly's bet on the Hound. Renly says it was too bad Tyrion wasn't there because he could have won double (inferring that Tyrion would have bet on Jamie). Finally in a Tyrion POV chapter he tells Catelyn he never bets against his family. As the reader we are not sure who to trust, but that little piece of conflicting info in the Sansa chapter tells us something is not quite right with LIttlefinger's version of events.

2.) The fostering of Robin Arryn: This is another instance where we hear different information depending on who we are talking to. Catelyn is told Robin was to be fostered at Castlerly Rock, but we hear from both the maester at the Eyrie and Walder Frey that Robin was to be fostered at Dragonstone. Why the different information?

I really appreciate these little details that keep us wondering what the truth is. It shows off an interesting feature of the POV format. Does anyone know of any other of these instances in GoT?

1) We are in Tyrion's head, he wouldn't lie to himself. We only see Littlefinger on the outside, so we have no idea what he's thinking. That's power of these POV's, there is one instance in Feast and Dance where the same conversation is seen from two POV's. I'm not going into detail, but from one side I hated the other and then reader the other side I felt it was the right thing to do (concerning the conversation).

2) Jon wanted Robin to be fostered at Casterly Rock, but Lysa didn't trust the Lannisters. She preferred to have Robin fostered on Dragonstone. I'm not sure about this, tho'.

Hey sigrid, welcome to the forum.

This is one of the reasons why I love this series. The reader knows what the characters know, and what they know isn't always the truth. Off hand I can't think of any more instances like this. You do find out more about the dagger in ASOS (I know long wait), and I don't remember the details exactly with the robin arryn fostering, which was the truth.

2) Jon wanted Robin to be fostered at Casterly Rock, but Lysa didn't trust the Lannisters. She preferred to have Robin fostered on Dragonstone. I'm not sure about this, tho'.

I don't think that's right (but this might be spoilery for later books):

Jon Arryn wanted Sweetrobin fostered at Dragonstone,

after his death word gets out, probably via Littlefinger that Lysa wants him fostered at Casterly Rock - I think it's pretty clear Lysa herself doesn't want him fostered at all

2) I thought Lysa didn't want to send her boy anywhere . . . Jon might want to send him to Dragonstone. Once he's dead, Robert then wanted to send the boy to Casterly Rock. That's why she fled to the Eyrie.

Jon's wishing to send the boy to Dragonstone was pretty clear to me, Walder Frey confirmed that himself, he met Jon, heard it from his mouth. And Lysa's reaction was as expected; stormed away from the room.

And there's no mistake about Robert's plan either. He's Cersei's wife. I mean, husband. And he said so himself early in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you will find that there are two or three different stories behind every mystery in the books and most of them take a long time to get solved if they get solved at all. The truth behind where that dagger came from and who exactly ordered the assassination attempt against Bran Stark is one of those.

I think you will find that there are two or three different stories behind every mystery in the books and most of them take a long time to get solved if they get solved at all. The truth behind where that dagger came from and who exactly ordered the assassination attempt against Bran Stark is one of those.

Is it? I thought it was quite obviously Cersei and Jamie's doing.

Not sure if this is quite what you're looking for, but we get two different stories about Jon Arryn's visit to Tobho Mott, the blacksmith. One of his former servants, either the girl or the pot boy, tells Jory that Jon Arryn was having a new set of armor made, going into elaborate detail about the colors, materials,etc. Yet when Ned visits the smith himself, Tobho says Arryn had never ordered from him.

• 1 month later...

Is it? I thought it was quite obviously Cersei and Jamie's doing.

Heh, in a certain sort of way I guess it was. ;)

there is one instance in Feast and Dance where the same conversation is seen from two POV's. I'm not going into detail, but from one side I hated the other and then reader the other side I felt it was the right thing to do (concerning the conversation).

Out of interest, who is involved in aforementioned conversation? I'm not very far into Dance, but I love this sort of thing and don't want to miss it. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived