Syrio / Jaqen theory

'Lauro Kociuba

It has been a while since I last touched my game of thrones, but was wondering yesterday. Is a insane idea or there's a small chance that Jaqen H'ghar and Syrio Forel are the same person? I mean... GRRM didn't made clear that Syrio died anyway... =/

Don't know if this was already talked in some point, sory if I missed. :)

I see Syrio as protecting Arya more, since he did 'die' so she could get away and if Jaqen was Syrio he would have made more of an effort to getting her out of Harrenhal without Arya asking and taking her straight to Winterfell (of course they would not know of Theon or the burining of Winterfell yet) or to her brother and mother.

• 3 weeks later...

Other then both being from Bravos, I don't see anything that would say their the same person.

And wasn't Jaqen in the prison, and was given to NW before Ned died? while Syrio was teaching Arya?

Your text is distracting and awful to attempt to read

And wasn't Jaqen in the prison, and was given to NW before Ned died? while Syrio was teaching Arya?

Yes and Yes

Even if Jaqen was actually from Lorath, people can just shout "BUT! faceless man, duh!!!"...

Syrio was an interesting character and if he's dead, I'd like if Arya at least found out more about him, being the former first sword of Braavos and Arya spending at least her waking hours in Braavos. Quite frankly I'm surprised she didn't think of asking around about him yet...

Arya and Sansa think of each other quite a lot though. I've had a post listing all the instances, it was bloody long.

The point is, wed don't see PoV characters asking about each others, or even other characters, when it's pointless and a thus a waste of writing space. That doesn't mean they don't: for example Jon clearly gets news of both Winterfell and King's Landing ofscreen.

The theory has been discussed here quite a bit, and honestly (no offense) it is kind of a ridiculous theory. The entire theory is based on the POSSIBILITY that Syrio was sent to cells in time to take the place of a prisoner that Ned had already released. The people who support this theory simply take a guess that they left Jaqen in the cells but there is no proof to support this, the only evdence from the books we have is Ned releasing Jaqen to the NW well before Syrio's death.

This is also based on the idea that for some reason beyond anyone in the world, the Lannister soldiers and Trant would take Syrio to the black cells instead of kiling him. This of course makes no sense seeing how Lannister soliders and KG were killing every Stark supporter in the capital and Syrio being a Stark supporter engaged them in direct combat. There is absolutely no reason why he would be send to the dungeons instead of kill like the other Stark supporters when he attacked Lannister soliders. It just doesn't make any sense.

The argument for these guys being the same person is extremely weak at this point.

The theory has been discussed here quite a bit, and honestly (no offense) it is kind of a ridiculous theory. The entire theory is based on the POSSIBILITY that Syrio was sent to cells in time to take the place of a prisoner that Ned had already released. The people who support this theory simply take a guess that they left Jaqen in the cells but there is no proof to support this, the only evdence from the books we have is Ned releasing Jaqen to the NW well before Syrio's death.

This is also based on the idea that for some reason beyond anyone in the world, the Lannister soldiers and Trant would take Syrio to the black cells instead of kiling him. This of course makes no sense seeing how Lannister soliders and KG were killing every Stark supporter in the capital and Syrio being a Stark supporter engaged them in direct combat. There is absolutely no reason why he would be send to the dungeons instead of kill like the other Stark supporters when he attacked Lannister soliders. It just doesn't make any sense.

The argument for these guys being the same person is extremely weak at this point.

You're being generous, so nice of you

Braavos was known to worship many gods and there is an interesting piece of dialogue that I'm sure many have added to their favorite ASOIAF quotes when Syrio is training Arya he tells her: "There is only one God, and his name is Death and there is only one thing we say to death; not today." I found that rather compelling. Though unlikely The Faceless Man known as Jaqen H'ghar could have been part of Arya's journey from Syrio to Jaqen to the Kindly Man. Perhaps Arya is some type of chosen of the Stranger? It wouldn't be hard for a Faceless Man to steal the face of a either "dead" Syrio or killing him in order to get close to Arya and somehow ending up in the Dungeons in King's Landing after the capture of Ned Stark and being taken by Yoren. Plenty of possibilities but it raises more questions then it answers...

... when Syrio is training Arya he tells her: "There is only one God, and his name is Death and there is only one thing we say to death; not today." ...

Unfortunately he says no such thing. (Though apparently somebody made a TV series based on GoT in which something similar to this may have been said.)

[standard conspiracy response activated!]

I'm only going to jump in on one point here, which makes no sense even without this theory. Yoren was alone in the city and actively recruiting, which means he wasn't spending a lot of time loitering wherever he was staying. I highly doubt he would have picked up 3 mass murderers and left them chained inside a room for over a month while he was going about his business/looking for Arya.

There is no valid reason to believe the criminals wouldn't have been released to the watch just because Ned was gone, especially with the chaos in the city. Not only that, but I doubt Varys or Rennifer would be stupid enough to release them just to sit in a completely unsecured room for a month before they intended to leave. The prisoners were of no political value and even late in the series (until Stannis heads north) KL has no reason to go back on a promise to the watch.

This is equally valid whether or not we're talking about Syrio or Jaqen. Just wanted to get this out, because it really bugs me when people insist he had them sitting around playing Cyvasse in the middle of the city.

Archived