Which word in Westeros bothers you?

Wench is just an old english word, and it was not meant as a disrespecting term.

I realize that, but it still sounds so humiliating. I think the reason might be that it's usually used in a context that ignores the whole female persona, turning her into a wench.

Like when Jaime uses it to insult Brienne.

Or tavern-wench. She's not a tavern-wench, she's the daughter of the man who owns the tavern, served you food and you raped her.

Or Lady Tanda's maid, called the serving wench and a pretty thing inn the same sentence.

At least "whore" can be (and sometimes is) used as describing what a women does. But wench usually implies "she is just a wench".

I love this thread! Thank you, thank you.

The word ( besides nuncle, which I think is just stupid) that makes me grit my teeth is seneschal. I hate that word. Why not just say, perfumed 'steward', already? It sounds so pompous and stilted. Instead it's a constant, "Beware the perfumed seneschal." Blech.

I love the word 'coz' when Jaime says it. But then, I pretty much love everything Jaime says and does. :)

I think wench is sort of endearing when Jaime uses it for Brienne. However, coz drives me nuts. I don't know why, I just hate the way it sounds. Teats is annoying as well. Even worse was when Shae talked about her titties to Tyrion. It sounded both obnoxious and inconsistent with the world of Westeros.

"Whore", "wench", "teats", "breasts", "nipples, "cock"-enough already.

Teehee. I think the euphemisms are even worse! "Manhood glistening in the light," "his member stiffened," a groin being referred to as a "sex." I like fat pink mast though.

Teehee. I think the euphemisms are even worse! "Manhood glistening in the light," "his member stiffened," a groin being referred to as a "sex." I like fat pink mast though.

Don't forget about the Myrish Swamp! :ack:

Heh, I don't know of any language that bothered me (certainly nothing listed yet), but the oft reapeated sayings did. Perhaps the secret to GRRM's writing is... Madlib? He most likely just throws 300 assorted key words or phrases into an advanced Madlib program every year or two, and it spits out more of the book. That would certainly explain some things.

Archived