Which word in Westeros bothers you?

teats bugs me. as for wench, i know lots of people who use that word now so it doesn't bug me much.

The word ( besides nuncle, which I think is just stupid) that makes me grit my teeth is seneschal. I hate that word. Why not just say, perfumed 'steward', already? It sounds so pompous and stilted. Instead it's a constant, "Beware the perfumed seneschal." Blech.

well, seneschal is grrm's trademark. i mean when this series is all said and done, one of the things he'll be noted for is how he foreshadowed everything while keeping the suspense and mystery of the story going. so of course he can't say things clearly - there'd be no suspense in that.

Whenever Cersei mentions 'duggs' (mostly in affc).... another vote fore 'teats' as well.

Nipples on a breastplate... it was funny the first time, please stop now.

Holdfast... not sure why this one bothers me, I guess because it's a made up word. I'd prefer if it was just 'castle' or 'stronghold'. Oh well.

"Mummer's farce." Why not just "farce?" Or are there other Westerosi groups out there acting in "comic dramatic work using buffoonery and horseplay and typically including crude characterization and ludicrously improbable situations?"

Actually, the use of the word "mummer" which is not synonymous with actor, although GRRM uses it that way.

"Whore." Give it a rest already.

Dracarys. It's not a word that's been used in Westeros, but I hate it nonetheless. I just hate the way it sounds and feels in my mouth. I have a habit of reading unfamiliar words aloud when I first come across them and dracarys just grated. I get this feeling of nails on a chalkboard anytime I read it.

Archived