Which word in Westeros bothers you?

Yes, nuncle, "making water", and when Jaime says that Joffrey was just a "squirt of seed in Cersei's cunt" or something like to him, I cringed.

ETA: "must needs" bothers me too, but I think its not because I hate it but because I keep using it in real life conversation and get weird looks.

"teats on a breastplate" just makes me think of the cinematic abomination Batman & Robin. ugh.

Are there any kind of sores besides "weeping sores"?

Why is every gauntlet a "lobstered gauntlet"?

horses whickering

Being an ex-English major, I particularly hate "wroth" used as a noun, when it is actually an adjective.

My un-favorite, too. It's wrath, George!

(Old lines from a Groucho Marx movie: "Mister Jennings is waxing wroth" "Tell Roth to wax Jennings for a while.")

I also dislike Jaime. Just the spelling. Jaime is Spanish to me, pronounced similarly to Hymie.

More two words than one

Kings Landing, I dont know but its both the worst name ever for a city and the best at the same time, it has a good ring to it, yet its stupid, who names a city "Kings Landing".

I think King's Landing was not of an age with WInterfell, Castlery Rock. I mean it was built later because Aegon though it was cool to build a castle there. -I think there is a passage in the first book.- So when he conquered all seven kingdoms, being the King, I guess he thought it was cool to name the place he first "landed" King's Landing.

My un-favorite, too. It's wrath, George!

I also dislike Jaime. Just the spelling. Jaime is Spanish to me, pronounced similarly to Hymie.

Actually, wroth is legitimate. Martin knows what he's doing, yo ;) "Wroth" is simply the older version of wrath. (Middle English.) It fits with the rest of the old words in the series.

I don't know why so many people hate "nuncle". I love it!

And, weirdly enough, when I was about 10/11, I called my cousin "coz" for short in letters -- with exactly that spelling. I didn't know that it was an actual word, but whenever I hear Jaime or someone else say it I think of that time in my life.

Honestly, there is NO word in ASOIAF that I hate! The closest that I come to "hating" is "much and more", "little and less", though those are phrases. I think they're a bit overused. But, I think George adds them to create a certain ominous ambiance (i.e., "Tyrion thought, "and much and more can happen when we cross the narrow sea, [Jorah Mormont]").

It also took me a second to figure out what "meet" means. ("It is not meet to make me beg") so I guess it means appropriate in archaic, highborn terms. And, of course, I'll never forget Robb's mortal words "If you deem it meet, Lord Walder, by all means let us bed them." :(

Warg, because to me it reads like wolf in Swedish, and that just seems odd.

You're right. It was wolf. Tolkein used it as such in The Hobbit ("where the warg howls the orc prowls"), and it transitioned from wolf to werewolf to shape-changer to a human spirit/personality occupying an animal. Odd to me, too.

I can't believe it took eight pages of this thread for someone to finally mention "leal". What bugs me the worst is that the term seemed to appear in just the last book (or maybe last two, not sure). I don't remember it being used in the early series when I was open to unique terminology (e.g. "Ser" instead of "Sir").

Considering the thread as a whole, I'm surprised by some of the words coming up. Many of them are authentic period terms. It seems a lot of you would prefer the series to have been written in modern 21st century vernacular. Can't say I agree, but to each their own.

More two words than one

Kings Landing, I dont know but its both the worst name ever for a city and the best at the same time, it has a good ring to it, yet its stupid, who names a city "Kings Landing".

I think it's awesome!!! (sorry, whew, got a little enthusiastic there :blushing: )

When I read the name, it evokes an image of Aegon, Visenya, and Rhaenys landing on those three high hills with their dragons. I also think that where they landed (a forested area with three large hills) was almost prophetic -- a hill for each of them, right by the sea, and so forth.

Actually, wroth is legitimate. Martin knows what he's doing, yo ;) "Wroth" is simply the older version of wrath. (Middle English.) It fits with the rest of the old words in the series.

I don't know why so many people hate "nuncle". I love it!

Well, but you see George isn't writing in Middle English. Else he'd be using words like coynte.

The only person who says "nuncle" is Asha, so maybe it's peculiar to the Ironborn's dialect.

Neeps. What is a neep, and why have they only just appeared?

Nuncle, definitely. I don't know why, but it's annoying.

I also don't like it when some Ye Olde English is thrown in unevenly - in particular, methinks, mayhaps, and on the nonce. I don't want to do anything on a child molesterer, thanks.

And the cringe-worthy sex phrases.

Well, but you see George isn't writing in Middle English. Else he'd be using words like coynte.

The only person who says "nuncle" is Asha, so maybe it's peculiar to the Ironborn's dialect.

Of course he's not writing Middle English, b/c then we wouldn't be able to read it. But he does a fantastic job of using just the right amount of arcane words to take us back to that time.

No, Jaime says it too in AFFC: "Why nuncle, I believe you are talking about me" (paraphrasing).

I actually like all these words, they give a sence of realism when I'm reading the books. GRRM didn't do this as well as Tolkien. These words are actually among my chief reasons why these books (both ASoIaF and LOTR) are so awesome.

Archived