Topics you are tired of seeing on this ASoIaF/GOT sites?

ServantOnIce

What are the ones you are tired of seeing?

Here is my list

1. Why do folks hate (insert character).

2. Any idea when WoW will be released?

3. Why do folks LOVE/LIKE (insert character)

4. Most liked characters

5. Most hated characters

6. Characters you want to have sex with

7. Characters you want to have sex with other characters

8. Who would you die for?

9. What house/army/group would you belong to?

10. The Others/White Walkers aren't bad guys or evil or a threat

11. Who is, "Cold Hands."

12. Benjen Stark (insert question)

13. Rhaegar, Lyanna (insert question)

14. Who do you want to win the Iron Throne?

15. How do you think this series will end?

16. What if GRRM doesn't finish the series?

17. Is ___ really dead? (insert character name).

18. How do you want ____ (insert character name) to die?

Enough of those, let's get some new material . .

Any random "____ Theory" thread.

1. These aren't theories, they're fan fic

2. 99% of the time they are repeats

3. 99% of the time there is no evidence to back up said fan-fic

4. its public masturbation where you force people to know you're doing it, invite them to watch, but nobody gets any payoff.

1. People who think they've come up with something new and original and they haven't. More pitiful than anything, I guess.

2. Hypotheticals. "What if?" stuff. I don't see the point.

3. Why do you dislike my favorite character?

4. Why don't you hate a character that I hate?

5. Is so-and-so a secret Targ?

6. Is Syrio alive?

7. Any questions about finishing the series or remarks on GRRM's health.

Any SanSan BS, why so much hate for ____?, when did _____ become your fav/most hated character?, and like AM said pointless what if threads(not all of them, just the ones where the what if is a major plot point. Because the answer is "then this would be a completely different story, wouldn't it?"

Ha! That's pretty much all of them! And I agree as well. The reason I keep coming here (to answer Lady Tippy above) is because sometimes, just sometimes, there are little nuggets of gold amongst the mud.

In particular I don't like the 'why do people hate such-and-such?'. Mainly because I feel that the people who post these topics are being a bit disingenuous and po-faced here. You know why people hate such-and-such. People have dragged out the same old reasons for hating such-and-such at least one million times. And other people have counter-attacked with the same old rebuffs at least one million times. Let's be frank: when you are saying 'why do people hate such-and-such?', what you are really saying is 'I like such-and-such, and all you people who hate such-and-such suck'.

Also, with the above, you can replace 'hate' with 'love' and my argument remains the same.

Um, so why do you come to the forums...just wondering. :)

There isn't much else to discuss until the next book comes out.

To rhyme :smug:

SanSan threads. And threads about a certain female character, be it Daenerys, Cersei, Catelyn, Sansa - enough! We get that some people find certain aspects of these books misogynistic and sexist, we also get that others do not like these characters for whatever reason.

I love all the topics. There are lots of things that go through my head about the series. I'll think I have something going and then I'll come here and someone else has already thought of it. LOL I guess that makes me pitiful. One thread I have yet to see is "What would be your favorite dish" . :drool:

I love discussions about what is in the text (especially character development, yay for re-read threads!) and how to interpret it, with some bits of theory/predictions/foreshadowing discussion here and there.

I agree that 'what if' threads are extremely annoying.....especially because they usually involve 'what if Tywin did this' or 'what if Robb did this'..... as much as I appreciate military strategy and the like, even I find that sort of speculation to be excruciatingly boring. :dunno:

To the people that hate the topics, why don't you all come up with better ones.

Because it is really quite hard to come up with something completely fresh and new (or even just a fresh take on something old).

I've only ever started one or two threads of my own, mainly because most of the ideas I've had are things that other people have already thought about. I'd love to be better at it, but hey, we can't have it all. Besides I do think that the few threads I have started are (modestly) good.

Before I post my own thread I meticulously search for an existing thread on that topic. I'd be embarrassed to post something that has been posted a million times already, so I try not to do that. Obviously other people don't have the same problem, because often you see the same topic posted just days (or even hours) after a similarly themed topic is posted.

Because it is really quite hard to come up with something completely fresh and new (or even just a fresh take on something old).

I've only ever started one or two threads of my own, mainly because most of the ideas I've had are things that other people have already thought about. I'd love to be better at it, but hey, we can't have it all. Besides I do think that the few threads I have started are (modestly) good.

Before I post my own thread I meticulously search for an existing thread on that topic. I'd be embarrassed to post something that has been posted a million times already, so I try not to do that. Obviously other people don't have the same problem, because often you see the same topic posted just days (or even hours) after a similarly themed topic is posted.

That's great that you try to your research beforehand, I wish more folks would do the same. :) Every time there are multiple threads on the same topic floating around (*cough* Fake Aegon *cough*), it drives me nuts and I just wish for the threads to be merged or something.....probably my OCD talking, but there you go. :P

this. in fact, i've wanted to start a few threads but have been reluctant to. but to tackle some of the complaints about the same topics over and over:

1. these books have been around for over 10 years and people have been posting about just as long. its going to be hard to come up with different topics.

2. as a result of the hbo series, new readers have just read the books and they're super excited about them. they want to voice their thoughts and have fresh dialogue. lots of the old threads are locked so they either lurk or open a similar thread. that said, i can't help but notice the same title thread version xxxxxxxx. i don't know if that means people have so much to say about it or if they're just repeating the topic.

Archived