Topics you are tired of seeing on this ASoIaF/GOT sites?

ServantOnIce

To the people that hate the topics, why don't you all come up with better ones.

I could post 10 awesome threads a day and that would have 0 impact on whether or not other people post dumb threads. There's not a finite limit on the number of threads. The OP didn't say "all topics suck," he said "SOME topics suck." So "coming up with better ones" wouldn't do anything to address the problem.

I tend to dislike most of the "X is a secret Targ" topics.

But honestly, I rarely even open topics if the title doesn't intrigue me, so I don't have some strong emotions about the reoccurring themes. But that might be because I'm relatively new to the forum.

I have to say, though, even though there are a lot of topics that annoy me, especially when you see them come up again week after week, there are some topics that I never get tired of debating, too. Especially when you have a well-honed argument that you just love slapping people with!

And sometimes, sometimes even during the most well-worn argument, out of the blue someone will come up with some amazing point that I've thought of before. Sometimes even I come up with an amazing point that I've never thought of before! I guess that is why I stay, because you never know when someone is going to come up with something really clever.

I wholeheartedly abhorr Catelyn/Sansa/Dany hate threads. 'Nough said. They're so frequent.

Character X is the Great Other.

Why R+L=J is not true (the argument usually is that Jon's hair is brown)

Your Top "Number" Favourite Characters is getting really old. One continuous thread is okay. Five parallel threads isn't.

Threads asking about gold hidden in the village. Silver and gems included.

Threads about food.

Threads about Lord Beric Dondarrion.

Threads about how many men, knights and bowmen are with Beric Dondarrion.

Threads about gold in the village.

Oh and any secret Targaryen threads. Gag.

Anyone got the feeling this thread is going to be locked?

2. as a result of the hbo series, new readers have just read the books and they're super excited about them. they want to voice their thoughts and have fresh dialogue. lots of the old threads are locked so they either lurk or open a similar thread. that said, i can't help but notice the same title thread version xxxxxxxx. i don't know if that means people have so much to say about it or if they're just repeating the topic.

Do you mean the threads with the actual "v. #" in the title, like "Heresy 14"? If so, speaking as one of those HBO-recruited noobs, I have to say those long, continuing threads do get intimidating. (And I don't just mean the Heresy ones!) I've tried to read up on some of those topics, but if you're not familiar with established theories, it's easy to get confused fast. Especially when the new thread is made mid-debate/-conversation. I'm no stranger to spec or theorizing (I'm an ARG spectator). But this is GRRM we're talking about. It's just so easy to miss subtleties your first time through the books. It takes quite a bit of reading to catch up to the old hands around here.

That's not to say us noobs should go crazy with the "GUIZE! I think JonC is TEH GAY!" posts. I'm a firm believer in doing the catch-up reading and using the search function liberally. And it serves me well. ;) But I've been on various forums for ~15 years now, so I get the whole etiquette thing. Plus I have an ungodly amount of free time on my hands at the moment, so y'know.

Do you mean the threads with the actual "v. #" in the title, like "Heresy 14"? If so, speaking as one of those HBO-recruited noobs, I have to say those long, continuing threads do get intimidating. (And I don't just mean the Heresy ones!) I've tried to read up on some of those topics, but if you're not familiar with established theories, it's easy to get confused fast. Especially when the new thread is made mid-debate/-conversation. I'm no stranger to spec or theorizing (I'm an ARG spectator). But this is GRRM we're talking about. It's just so easy to miss subtleties your first time through the books. It takes quite a bit of reading to catch up to the old hands around here.

yes, that's what i mean. i've read an entire one once and it is indeed intimidating. but you are right. there are often new things being discussed.

Hate on all the threads you want, but if your list is as long as the OP's then maybe you need a break from the board. I mean this as sincere advice, not snark.

The repetition is only going to get worse the longer we wait for TWOW.

I'm not hating on anything, just saying that sometimes the repetition of the same types of threads being started every other day becomes tiresome and annoying. I've taken years-long breaks from this website in the past, and may do so again. But I chose to come back at this time, and there are enough threads that *do* interest me at the moment to keep me here a while longer. :)

I'm just tired of seeing San/San comments. Particularly when I've noticed that some San/San fans are quick to point out how weird LF is for being attracted to Sansa.

1. Here's why Sansa sucks thread of the week-- Same reasons are used each and every time; same reasons are defeated each and every time; haters resort to complaining about bullying rather than providing any sort of textual support for their argument each and every time.

2. I hate Danerys Thread of the week-- The vehemence and dedication of "haters" is matched only by their strange desire to personally attack and chase away anyone with opposing viewpoints. Discussions generally turn to exclusive and shuttered little orgies of Dany hatred, untempered by serious thought, open mindedness, or respectful discussion.

Also, the fact that there’s about 50 bloody variations of this theme masquerading under different names each week can get a mite irritating.

3. Any thread professing disbelief that anyone (Not just some people, but anyone) should hate Ramsay/ Gregor/ Ranyll Tarly, or other obvious villains

4. Any thread mentioning Robert Baratheon in the title-- it will surely become an argument as to whether Cersei can be raped and beaten, since she's an evil bitch, by page three.

I'm not so sure the "tiring" is justified. The amount of threads in this subforum alone is OVER 9,000 (I've seen it as high as 9,1xx and then 8,8xx). Most threads have multiple posts, some with as many as 25+ pages, and even then thread like R+L=J which is currently on its 28th installment. Point being- there's a lot of content on this site. Even with the search feature no one can be expected to have read it all (in a majority of cases). While the community could do a better job of avoiding direct repeats of purely reader opinion threads, often times new threads bring up new discussion and speculation. Also, threads are being deleted by the mass daily, and I expect it's to keep our power level continuously going over 9,000 (if anyone's not noticed that). Another thing to consider is that we all agree on one thing: ASOIAF is the shit and we love it (if not gtfo). Readers and viewers wouldn't be on here if not to talk about the series. Hence why we're here. A rephrased title of a topic may just catch your attention that another passed by (or vise versa). And new stuff, usually just tidbits at a time will come out from George or another source and it changes what we know/believe-to-know/discuss/debate over. That said, we shouldn't have two threads about Tywin/Tyrion halfway down from each other on the same page -_-.

1. Who's the greatest fighter/biggest badass threads

2. Dany/Cat/Cersei/Sansa hate thread of the week

Generally though, if you don't like a thread, stay away from it.

The overt hate threads can be hard to stay away from though as they are so vitriolic and often based on a lack of facts, an extremely shallow reading of the character or just plain wrong expectations. "I hate X because she made a stupid decision regarding Y" (it's clear that in real life, people never make stupid, or short sighted decisions based on limited information and limited training).

To the people that hate the topics, why don't you all come up with better ones.

People have a different opinion on what makes an interesting thread... the one "good" thread I came up with a few months ago, about Ragnarok and how the series will end, died out before we even reached page three, while Catelyn/Robert/Dany hate threads, Syrio theory threads, Coldhands theory threads, and Aegon VI theory threads prospered around it. I thought the thread was pretty good but...

There is a reason why all those same-old-same-old threads keep cropping up all the time. It's because those are the things that interest this forum. Hate threads are always packed with intensity and emotion, wild theory threads often bring new perspectives to the table and change our view of the series (recently there was a thread that disproved Syrio=Jaqen), and Secret Targ threads... okay, I have no clue what's up with the Secret Targ threads, but I was never a Targaryen fan.

Archived