Topics you are tired of seeing on this ASoIaF/GOT sites?

ServantOnIce

Um, so why do you come to the forums...just wondering. :)

There isn't much else to discuss until the next book comes out.

I think the OP does have a point about the repetitive nature of many of the topics, and the fact that a lot of the discussion is sheer, naked specualtion on things that no one has anyway of knowing anything about. On the other hand, I've found these forums to be VERY handy in giving me the pros and cons of some of the theories I arrived at on my own while reading ("R+L=J," "Aegon's a fake," etc.). I've also found them to be very useful in spotlighting things that I entirely missed in my own reading of the books (you mean the Hound is STILL ALIVE? Manderly ATE the missing Freys? OMG!). Finally, they give me hope that some of the things I HOPE are not true aren't (Stannis is NOT dead, right? And Jojen's NOT paste).

Good points! I too found out a great many things that I had missed from this site (back in the day) and thanks for the reminder of that! I'm over due for a re-read as well, and what I've learned from this forum makes those re-reads so much more interesting! :)

At least it's pretty easy to avoid boring/repetitious/argumentative threads just by their titles. It's a little sad, though, when I flip through three or more pages in this drawer and don't see a thread I want to read. :bawl:

Good points! I too found out a great many things that I had missed from this site (back in the day) and thanks for the reminder of that! I'm over due for a re-read as well, and what I've learned from this forum makes those re-reads so much more interesting! :)

I just started a re-read, inspired by many topics that have been brought up in this forum. There are some threads I'd like to engage in but don't feel as if I'd add much to the topic.

1. Who's the biggest badass in Westeros/ Jaime vs Ned who wins/ [insert character] is a dumb shit and deserved his fate.

2. Any Tyrion/Shae-Sansa thread: I don't hate those threads but most of the time, the same people post the same arguments, and the same people post the same counter-arguments, then someone will say something stupid and the thread gets closed by a mod :dunno:

With a modest number of posts, here are things I have noticed.

1. Why all the hate for PERIPHERAL CHARACTER NAME! The most current one is for Randyll Tarley and frankly, I could not remember who that was. Had to go to the Wiki, look him up, then go -- jeez, this is not even a character we have met yet, and we only have Sam's account. Why don't we wait and see??? Seriously, people hate him? Uh, wait, who was he :-) Somehow the forums for hating main characters do not bother me half as much as the really peripheral ones.

Um, actually we have met Randyll Tarly, several times in fact.

I probably only view about 1/4 of all new topics, and usually those are only the ones I'm interested in so I miss a lot. I do loathe any and all hate threads. What's the point of them? Just seeing the word hate in a title brings me down a bit.

Um, actually we have met Randyll Tarly, several times in fact.

You are correct and I was wrong, I just tend to think of him only as Sam's dad. And the Tarley forum has over 250 posts so clearly other folks are moved to comment. But doesn't that just underscore the point of the forums - that there is something for everyone.

I think the OP does have a point about the repetitive nature of many of the topics, and the fact that a lot of the discussion is sheer, naked specualtion on things that no one has anyway of knowing anything about. On the other hand, I've found these forums to be VERY handy in giving me the pros and cons of some of the theories I arrived at on my own while reading ("R+L=J," "Aegon's a fake," etc.). I've also found them to be very useful in spotlighting things that I entirely missed in my own reading of the books (you mean the Hound is STILL ALIVE? Manderly ATE the missing Freys? OMG!). Finally, they give me hope that some of the things I HOPE are not true aren't (Stannis is NOT dead, right? And Jojen's NOT paste).

My comment was not meant to contradict the OP's point. The OP had listed almost every thread we normally see, so my comment was meant to be taken jokingly...hence the smiley. ;)

I agree, the threads have helped me grasp a better understanding of the books. They also assisted in helping me to form my own theories and opinions.

I generally dislike (which means drawn to like crack) any thread where people try to impart modern morals onto the characters. Such and such is bad because he has a slave, or so and so is a rapist because he paid a hooker and then didn't care if she liked it or not, or "OMG, she's 14!". Or sexism/racism/oritientalism, etc.

I generally dislike (which means drawn to like crack) any thread where people try to impart modern morals onto the characters. Such and such is bad because he has a slave, or so and so is a rapist because he paid a hooker and then didn't care if she liked it or not, or "OMG, she's 14!". Or sexism/racism/oritientalism, etc.

I bet Robert Baratheon and Khal Drogo agree with you! :cheers:

Those were two of my favorite characters, so I totally see where you are coming from.

Archived