Randyl Tarly is going to beat the sh*t out of Sam in Citadel

richard_ba

This is a prediction, but I think that somewhere in TWOW, Randyl is going to arrive at Citadel and he will try to take Sam home by force and is going to beat him, this is where Sam is going to confront his father saying what he had experienced so far and that he finally overcame his fears and no longer bothers about the fearsome shadow of his father, killing the boy and letting the man be born in him.

This is based upon the convo between Sam and Jon before Sam and Aemon departure to Bravos

Randyll threatened to kill Sam if he didn't leave Horn Hill. Why would he want to take him back?

He's on Tommen's Small Council and he's tasked with keeping Margaery in his custody. So I don't think he's going anywhere. Well, maybe if The Ironborn or Aegon make progress in their invasions, he might be sent out to try and deal with it, but I don't think he's going anywhere near The Citadel.

I don't think so really. Back when Randyl refused to allow Sam to become a maester ( chaining him for real instead ) Randyl was still trying to get Sam to become a man. Once Dickon came into the picture he ignored Sam, pretty much. Years after, he decided to send him to the wall instead, mostly out of contempt - but as it stands now, Randyl has no reason whatsoever to bother with Sam, even if he finds out he is forging his chain in the citadel. Likely he'll pretend he doesn't exist.

Yeah I doubt Randyll even thinks about Sam these days, especially now that Rickon seems to be the son he always wanted..If Gilly ever reaches Horn Hill things might be different..

This is a prediction, but I think that somewhere in TWOW, Randyl is going to arrive at Citadel and he will try to take Sam home by force and is going to beat him, this is where Sam is going to confront his father saying what he had experienced so far and that he finally overcame his fears and no longer bothers about the fearsome shadow of his father, killing the boy and letting the man be born in him

Given he couldn't stand up to a prat like Leo Tyrell, I doubt that. Also, there's no reason for Randyll to go to the Citadel with the Aegon situation going on, even if he heard about Sam being in Oldtown.

I don't think so really. Back when Randyl refused to allow Sam to become a maester ( chaining him for real instead ) Randyl was still trying to get Sam to become a man. Once Dickon came into the picture he ignored Sam, pretty much. Years after, he decided to send him to the wall instead, mostly out of contempt - but as it stands now, Randyl has no reason whatsoever to bother with Sam, even if he finds out he is forging his chain in the citadel. Likely he'll pretend he doesn't exist.

I have to disagree with you about Tarly not caring about Sam becoming a Maester for two reasons.

One, I don't see Tarly as the type of person who wouldn't care that his eldest son completely disobeyed his authority and proceeded to do the one thing that he was ordered not to do. The second is that Tarly did not want Sam to be a Maester because he saw it as shameful to the Tarly name. I doubt Lord Randall's opinion on this issue has changed.

I have to disagree with you about Tarly not caring about Sam becoming a Maester for two reasons.

One, I don't see Tarly as the type of person who wouldn't care that his eldest son completely disobeyed his authority and proceeded to do the one thing that he was ordered not to do. The second is that Tarly did not want Sam to be a Maester because he saw it as shameful to the Tarly name. I doubt Lord Randall's opinion on this issue has changed.

Exactly, even Sam stated this to Jon, that his father wouldn't accept the fact that a Tarly has became a Maester, only to make Jon remind him he has no father, only brothers

Wasn't Randyl the one that told Sam either you take the black or you die? So why would he want him back?

The pride and honor of the house is affected by this, I'm sure he is going to Citadel just to make sure his trueborn son hasn't joined the maester order

I think that being a maester is an honor. A Targaryen become a maester and he was in the line of succession to the Iron Throne why wouldn't a Tarly?

Wasn't Randyl the one that told Sam either you take the black or you die? So why would he want him back?

I think that being a maester is an honor. A Targaryen become a maester and he was in the line of succession to the Iron Throne why wouldn't a Tarly?

Honor? Aemon dorn his chains because he was sent there, Maekar feared on many throne contenders would be a future issue, Tarly has said to his son that he had one and one option only, take the black, per both his chapter and Jon in ADWD joining the maester order was already something Sam suggested to his father (as he clearly loves books, going to Citadel would be the most suitable idea) only to get a rebuff,

One, I don't see Tarly as the type of person who wouldn't care that his eldest son completely disobeyed his authority and proceeded to do the one thing that he was ordered not to do.

Maybe, but Randyl would need to be an utter ass not to realize that Sam is no longer under his authority. Sam belongs to the watch.

The second is that Tarly did not want Sam to be a Maester because he saw it as shameful to the Tarly name. I doubt Lord Randall's opinion on this issue has changed.

Perhaps, but I think in Sam case it was more about the contempt Randyl had for him. It seem to me that most maesters come from highborn families. It should be considered an honor. The only reason it should have bothered Randyl is because he was his heir.

I hope he doesnt get his ass kicked even though i dont like him he doesnt deserve to be abused. Also if sam stands up to his father it would be very out of charecter for him, George does not pander to his fans so no i dont think he is going to stand up to his father.

Honor? Aemon dorn his chains because he was sent there, Maekar feared on many throne contenders would be a future issue, Tarly has said to his son that he had one and one option only, take the black, per both his chapter and Jon in ADWD joining the maester order was already something Sam suggested to his father (as he clearly loves books, going to Citadel would be the most suitable idea) only to get a rebuff,

Yes but since taking the black puts you in three categories:rangers, builders or stewards. He knew that Sam couldn't be a ranger or a builder, he knew that Sam would become a steward. And since he was smart and educated the logical assumption is that he would be a maester, to me anyway.

....Aemon dorn his... what dorn means?

Also if sam stands up to his father it would be very out of charecter for him, George does not pander to his fans so no i dont think he is going to stand up to his father.

i wouldnt call it out of character if if it was set up right. he's not exactly a coward. he just has such a low self esteem that he's convinced himself he is.

Honestly I'd prefer for their to not be a conflict between them. It would ruin Sam in my eyes no matter the outcome.

Either he doesn't stand up to him and shows he truly is a craven and all the progress he has made is undone or he does stand up to him and it gets horribly cliche.

Let Sam get his chain, let Tarly stay at KL or go fight the young dragon and leave well enough alone.

Archived