Worst Line in the Series?

Winter's Knight

In your opinion, what is the single most awful sentence in the books?

For me, it'd be from The Wayward Bride, in Dance:

Her cunt became the world.

Sent me into a mad giggling fit, partly because it reminded me of my own feeble attempts at writing a sex scene back in middle school.

There's a sentence in the already cringe worthy Tyrion-Sansa wedding night scene about his man staff, don't know why but that made me cringe more than any of the other sex scenes. Perhaps its just because it emphaises that we're reading from the viewpoint of a very naive young girl. (So I suppose it sounds like what it's supposed to, a sex scene written by a 13 year old and is supposed to be cringy, but still.)

Though the 'her cunt became the world' line already mentioned is a close second.

In your opinion, what is the single most awful sentence in the books?

For me, it'd be from The Wayward Bride, in Dance:

Sent me into a mad giggling fit, partly because it reminded me of my own feeble attempts at writing a sex scene back in middle school.

This was going to be my line too, as soon as I saw the thread title. I've commented on it before as its just so awkward an unrealistic. I get the point of it, for awhile her feelings in that moment were all that mattered to her. But, still, it's bad.

There's a sentence in the already cringe worthy Tyrion-Sansa wedding night scene about his man staff, don't know why but that made me cringe more than any of the other sex scenes. Perhaps its just because it emphaises that we're reading from the viewpoint of a very naive young girl. (So I suppose it sounds like what it's supposed to, a sex scene written by a 13 year old and is supposed to be cringy, but still.)

Though the 'her cunt became the world' line already mentioned is a close second.

It's something like "purple bulbous head". cringeworthy indeed.

"You know nothing Jon Snow"

Seriously everytime I hear or read that line I want to put my head on the train's rails.

"Winter is coming"

and after the rails I would just relax and tear my book into peaces.

"A Lannister always pays his debts."

... and starting cooking the books to make a dinner for my friend who introdused me to the series.

I agree with all the people quoting sex scenes. I don't know whether GRRM is *trying* to make them cringe-worthy, or whether they just happen like that.

But other than that, "where whores go" and "you know nothing, Jon Snow" are tied for 'most hated line in the world' for me.

Edit: Oh, and gratuitous references to Daario's clothing/appearance. I don't care what he looks like, give me some interesting characterisation instead please!

I agree with all the people quoting sex scenes. I don't know whether GRRM is *trying* to make them cringe-worthy, or whether they just happen like that.

It's a little bit of both I believe. His abilities with sex scenes aren't that great, I joke at times that he should hire a ghost writer to help him out. But, the sex scenes aren't written to excite the audience, they are there for character development. So, the infamous scene between Jaime and Cersei is about Jaime's need to connect and reaffirm that he still has value with the one of only two things that has given him purpose in life, his sister. Then, we have Dany's wedding night with Hizdahr which sounded pretty miserable but afterwards, she is laying there wishing that he would hold her, which just illustrates how isolated Dany is feeling, how much she is craving an emotional connection with another person. Asha's scene with Qarl shows her struggle between all her public responsibilities and private desires.

Archived