[TWoW Spoilers] Victarion I(?) as narrated by George R.R. Martin

GRRM narrating Victarion's POV, presumably Vic I, as he gives the order to attack the Yunkai (possibly within eyesight of downtown Meereen) is, in a word, stuperficatious. (dont look it up. not a real word)

This sneak peak, coming now, at least multiple long years before the whole compilation of POVs aka TWoW is released is devious and somewhat torturous of George.

Victarion, whether you like him or not, is due to play some big role in the near future of Meereen proper. The Ironborn are planning on taking their 54 various ships to the fight and those ships are most certainly going to land somewhere. Most likely the Yunkai slavers, or more accurately their ludicrous, disease ridden, sellsword companies, will meet the Iron Fleet on the shores of Slavers Bay and shoals of the Shahazadhan.

Vic is staying on a boat with his Red Advisor and that bleedin' horn, and three thralls to blow it. What exactly he expects to happen is up for debate, but he definitely views the horn blast as some sort of 'declaration of possession.' Moqorro has convinced him that the horn, Dragonbinder, will allow him to control dragons if he claims the horn with blood. "Blood for fire, fire for blood." Vic doesn't know Valyrian but Moqorro does, so maybe he is placing too much trust in this "gift from the Drowned God" and Moqorro is playing him. What his truest intentions are, whether they be to help Dany, or to claim a dragon for the Red Priest Faction etc., have yet to be, revealed but I imagine he has an agenda beyond that even revealed through Tyrion's POVs on the "Salaesori Quoran aka Stinky Steward aka Perfumed Seneschal....

Vic envies those he ordered to fight first; the first to bloody their axes and see the look of fear in the eye of the foe (i'm paraphrasing). I imagine Vics plan will be largely based on the effect of Dragonbinder

Here are some of my predictions for Slaver's Bay and the many overlapping POVs that are likely to narrate the action.

1. Tyrion, now having some influence with the Second Sons, is likely going to immediately realize that being on the opposing side to the Ironborn is a shitty proposition, and he will try to convince BBP to paint up some dragon banners hella-quik-like to convince Vic's crew that they are back on their side.

2. If the dragon horn turns out to be a 'call to feast' that would suck because I actually, genuinely like Victarion Greyjoy, but it may be so and many fans would love to see that. If so Vic tries to kill Moqorro first.

3. Barristan will hear the horn and know it came from the Greyjoy fleet and he will know the implications of it, or at least suspect it, runs over to view of dragon nests in pyramids, POV witness to the first reaction the dragons have to the horn. From their we get a badass Barristan the Bold chapter where he leads an army out of Meereen made up of Brazen Beast, Unsullied, and free men with his "knights" up front and center.

He may die but it will be epic.

4. Drogon reacts to Dragonbinder from far away north in the Dothraki Sea and Dany better be on him when he takes off or her ass is ghostgrass with the Dothraki horselords. Your mount does not leave you, you command your mount, 'A Khal(eesi) who cannot ride is no Khal' She takes off south on Drogon and the khalasar follows Drogon's outline into the horizon. When she gets to Meereen it will either be post battle or towards the end barring a long engagement. IMHO Drogon is a wildcard. I know a lot of people equate Dany and Drogon's bond to that of her's and Drogo's, and their are many valid parallels, but I am not 100% convinced that Drogon is entirely in her command, especially after the horn blast.

5. Someone will die. There are too many POVs in a concentrated area and I believe that GRRM has stated (probably found within SSM) that he plans on thinning out the cast so to speak. Who is destined to die is hard to say. Well everyone eventually but... soon, I mean first half of the book soon.

Agreed! GRRM is a devious man!

What am I suppose to do with my anxiety till the WoW is released? :wideeyed: ;)

And there isn't even a hint about the release...

I hope all the book is as good as this chapter... cause I think it was awesome!

Regarding number 2, George has said that he writes multiple chapters for a character at a time, and that there are at least four Victarion chapters in TWOW. So, unless this battle is incredibly long, I don't think Victarion is going to die in the Battle of Meereen.

To the original poster:

The one part I disagree with is regarding Drogon.

The main reason Martin has orchestrated Drogon and Dany's departure from Meereen, is so that he is not in the vicinity when the Horn is blown. Hence, Drogon will be the only Dragon definitely NOT affected by the horn, since he won't be in hearing distance.

And if hearing distance wasn't an issue, then Euron might as well have blown the Horn back in Pyke. Which he did. To no effect as far as the Dragons are concerned.

So clearly it will be Rhaegal and Viserion who will be vulnerable to the Horn's power. And I reckon it is more likely to be Viserion only, as I think Martin is going to keep one Dragon for Tyrion and give only one to Euron.

So Rhaegal may well be "out of town" as well when the Horn is blown.

Archived