Things characters said that made you go like "HOW DARE YOU?!"

"don't make me rue the day i raped your mother"

I am all for reminding Ramsay Snow that he is a bastard, but that like made me step back and realize that Roose was cold af

"Jaime Lannister sends his regards" more just what was going on at the time than the actual line, but another example of Roose not giving a damn while doing awful things

The following little gem gave me quite a turn:

"The only part of me that interests me is the part between your legs,..."

(Tyrion to an utterly defenseless sex slave who has done nothing to him save do the job she is forced/ hired to do.

But wait. It gets even better. Here is the rest of the scene):

“Magister Illario says that I am to scrub your back and warm your bed. My name—

“Is of no interest to me. Do you know where whores go?

The girl could not grasp the question. “Is this a riddle, m’lord? I’m no good at riddles. Will you tell me the answer?"

“I will tell you nothing. Do me the same favor.” The only part of me that interests me is the part between your legs, he almost said. The girl is only some little fool who thinks I play at riddles. If truth be told, even her cunt did not interest him that much.”

I must be sick or dying, he thought......

"The girl’s mouth tightened. She despises me, he realized…That he had fucked many a woman who loathed the sight of him, Tyrion Lannister had no doubt, but the others had at least had the grace to feign affection. A little honest loathing might be refreshing, like a tart wine after too much sweet.

I believe I have changed my mind,” he told her. “Wait for me abed. Naked, if you please, I’ll be a deal too drunk to fumble at your clothing. Keep your mouth shut and your thighs open and the two of us should get on splendidly.” He gave her a leer, hoping for a taste of fear, but all she gave him was revulsion. No one fears a dwarf. Even Lord Tywin Lannister had not been afraid, though Tyrion had held a crossbow in his hands. “Do you moan when you are being fucked?” He asked the bedwarmer.

“If it please m’lord.”

“It might please m’lord to strangle you. That’s how I served my last whore. Do you think your master would object? Surely not. He has a hundred more like you, but no one else like me.” This time, when he grinned, he got the fear he wanted."

Now I've heard numerous Tyrion fans saying that this didn't count because Tyrion was drunk/ "scarred by Shae/ at a low point in this scene. But in my mind, this is a simple case of someone virulently harrasing, degrading, terrifying, and presumably raping one of the most helpless people in society for no other reason than they can. Tyrion's personal insecurity that he can't get hot girls without paying for them is really not going to cut it for me as an excuse here.

The following little gem gave me quite a turn:

Snip

What's the reaction your trolling for? Sympathy, support, a rousing defense of an indefensible act? Do you keep this passage copied in Word so you can drop it in at random or do you have the passage memorized?

“It should have been you.” – Catelyn Stark.....This made me very, very sad

Well, this is a popular source of intense outrage amongst the fandom; and will no doubt garner many "like" votes.

However, personally I've always felt that some allowance might be made for the fact that Cat's seven year old son is currently lying on his deathbed after a tragic accident; that Cat has not slept in several days and is in a perilous psychological state; and that she never says or even thinks anything even remotely like this before or after the incident.

It's just funny to me that Jaime can get away with offing children; Tyrion with raping defenseless girls out of personal insecurity; but Cat can't get out of making one cruel comment when insanely sleep deprived and half out of her mind with grief at the probable loss of her child.

What's the reaction your trolling for?

The topic was "Things characters said that made you go "HOW DARE YOU?!"

My answer to this question was to quote Tyroin's threats to a helpless sex slave. I'm honestly not sure how that's trolling. Perhaps you've misinterpreted my post, or I am misinterpreting yours. Otherwise, I'm not sure why answering the O.P. with quotes from this particular scene is trolling in any way.... again, perhaps you can illuminate me.

What's the reaction your trolling for? Sympathy, support, a rousing defense of an indefensible act?

Again, I'm not sure you read my post correctly, or perhaps I'm misreading yours. I was noting that Tyrion's thoughts that the sex slave was useless save for her vagina, his disgusting mistreatment of her, and his overt threats to rape her elicited a reaction of "how dare you" in me.

Do you keep this passage copied in Word so you can drop it in at random or do you have the passage memorized?

:shocked: Once again, I'm quite confused as to what your point is.

"Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper's dogs. If a child is set upon by a pack of hounds, does it matter which one tears out his throat? All the dogs are just as guilty."

(I'm sorry if this is divisive, but it really, really annoys/ enrages me).

"Lannister or Stark, what difference? Viserys used to call them the Usurper's dogs. If a child is set upon by a pack of hounds, does it matter which one tears out his throat? All the dogs are just as guilty."

Oh, good one.

Also: pretty much anything Janos Slynt does and say.

Well, this is a popular source of intense outrage amongst the fandom; and will no doubt garner many "like" votes.

However, personally I've always felt that some allowance might be made for the fact that Cat's seven year old son is currently lying on his deathbed after a tragic accident; that Cat has not slept in several days and is in a perilous psychological state; and that she never says or even thinks anything even remotely like this before or after the incident.

It's just funny to me that Jaime can get away with offing children; Tyrion with raping defenseless girls out of personal insecurity; but Cat can't get out of making one cruel comment when insanely sleep deprived and half out of her mind with grief at the probable loss of her child.

Funny thing, but people defend Tyrion's behavior with the sex-slave in a similar manner. They are both in a ungrateful situation and bot are behaving based on their hurt feelings, ignoring the fact that there's another human being next to them and what are the consequences of their actions and words.

I think this question has way more to do with what makes our individual time-bombs blow off, and we can both defend and rage at characters, but there's no "truthful" answer to who's behavior is worse - it comes to an individuals evaluation of the act.

And with that in mind:

And now here’s the best bit... when it’s all done, Ser tells the old man that he wants his change. The girl wasn’t worth a silver, he says... and damned if that old man didn’t fetch a fistful of coppers, beg mlord’s pardon, and thank him for the custom!

And the whole description, in general. It literally made me sick to my stomach.

When Randell Tarly said Brienne needed a good hard raping. It made me really sad and really angry.

I laughed so hard when Randyll said that. It was a mean thing to say and everything, but it just shows that Randyll was a total ass to other people than Sam.

When Jaime asked Cercei to dance at Tommen's wedding, she responds, "And have you fumbling at me with that stump?" I know her emotional state was poor, given what happened with Joffrey, but come on, girl!

To be even-handed, when Tywin suggested willingness to marry Cercei off to Balon Greyjoy (!!!!) if his wife was dead/died... it said volumes about how much he actually cares about her.

This, couldn't Barristan have set her straight? She needs to know everybody who was for Robert isn't terrible.

Funny thing, but people defend Tyrion's behavior with the sex-slave in a similar manner. They are both in a ungrateful situation and bot are behaving based on their hurt feelings, ignoring the fact that there's another human being next to them and what are the consequences of their actions and words.

Indeed. And yet I'd say the situations are fairly different, given that one entails a hurtful, nasty comment; the other not only nasty comments, but terrifying threats and rape. All in all, I'd say that one cruel comment is not really the equivalent of rape.

The power balances are also rather different. Jon's the son of an incredibly powerful nobleman, even if he is illegitimate. He's been brought to a great castle and raised alongside the lords son, in opposition to all social codes, been treated as an equal to them. He clearly has some power to defend himself. In contrast, the girl Tyrion rapes is a slave, and, (as he explicitely points out) he is able to do anything to her- rape her or murder her, if he pleases. She has no power whatsoever, not even the power to defend herself from a brutal rape or murder.

In the end making cruel, nasty comments to one's husband's illegitimate son is quite terrible. But I'm not sure most people would agree that there's really no difference morally between that and terrifying threats and rape.

Archived